Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 12:16 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
People who don't want to rely on the stability of their power grid?
You think relying on petroleum is better? Do you think gas stations still sell gas in a power outage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 12:16 PM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Better acceleration for the price point. Also smoother linear acceleration. Quiet operation. I can also charge overnight and never go to a gas station. I also dont need to go get oil changes. Those are the primary ones I enjoy.
None of those things are major improvements, enough to make us change our entire infrastructure. Not even close.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:18 PM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I voted “yes” but only because Democrats are hell-bent on making this happen by creating regulations that more or less take away any other choice. I don’t really want an EV at this point, but at some point I’m sure it will be the only option, unless I opt to take public transit (which Democrat elites LOVE for everyone but themselves, of course!)

Old 04-04-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
And exactly what are those improvements? What functionality does electric currently provide that gas doesn't?
Quiet operation, smooth drive, longer-lasting motors, much less maintenance...

Old 04-04-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
None of those things are major improvements, enough to make us change our entire infrastructure. Not even close.
Less $ to fuel.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:25 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
simple truth. there isnt enough rare earth metals to create enough batteries to run the vehicles we need. period.

it is math
it is SCIENCE

for all the Libs gone hoarse screaming the word "science" there arent many out there that actually care.

leftists who really care about global warming need to get it thru their thick skulls that wind/solar/battery triad is a false hope.

time to cut bait and find a real solution

Old 04-04-2022, 12:31 PM

Asia has already figured out how to get people around while spending little money on vehicles and fuel. Small motorcycles and scooters. And now electric ones & Ebikes are gaining market share without having to invest billions of dollars like Tesla.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
I can't get enthused for EV, since they have the same downsides as gas cars. The country isn't self-sufficient in the metals needed to produce batteries. The country can't produce enough oil. Environmentalists will be against scarring the land to open new mines to try to be self-sufficient. CA and FL don't want to take a chance on scarring its beaches from big offshore oil spills. Some other source of energy needs to be found that is more practical and reliable.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
When the world transitioned from horseback to gas-powered vehicles, there was very a clear, plain, massive functionality increase. So much so that everyone instantly saw the future and we dedicated decades and billions of dollars to creating an infrastructure to support them. In the USA, this led to the most successful and meaningful century in world history.

Fast forward 100 or so years, and there was a supposed new revolution into the next generation of vehicles that we would migrate to: electrics. But after 20 years, we've seen almost zero growth in the segment and still more than 98% of vehicles on the road are gas-powered.

Here's the problem: Does anyone in the year 2022, 20 years into the "electric" generation, look at a Tesla or a Prius, then look at say a Corvette and an F150, and say "wow, there's a clear, massive functionality increase. I doubt it, in fact I'd bet most people would say it's a functionality decrease, and a hassle increase.

So this "new generation" is not fueled by functionality buy rather by philosophy. We are supposed to switch over to electrics not because they work better, but because we are going to stave off supposed environmental doom.

The problem is that millions upon millions of people in this country think this is BS. When you are basing your product on environmental dogma, rather than actual functionality, it's a clear and present loser (as we are seeing). People are certainly not seeing this clear future like they did during the horse to car transition.

Many proponents of EV's are calling for punitive taxes on the "old technology" (even though electricity has been harnessed by man way before the gas engine was invented) in order to get more traction, but if you have to punish your customer to buy it, isn't that a sign that your product is a dud?

We have hundreds of years worth of fossil fuels with witch to make gasoline. Electrics will always have the problem of batteries and re-charging. I think that the next iteration of vehicles will still be the same "instant" replenishment of power like gasoline, not some technology based on charging depleted cells, despite the massive media gas lighting and brain washing that so many have fallen for.

What say you?
I don't know but I will say this...my stepdad last year bought a Tesla Model S...and I've been driving it a lot lately because they've been on a few trips and it's the most fun car I've ever driven...and to just plug it in in the garage at home is great.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:37 PM

6,010 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm willing to bet a good portion of the country was totally convinced the Universe would implode upon itself if we switched.
And, I'm willing to bet a good portion of the country IS totally convinced the universe would implode upon itself if we don't switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies