Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 08:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
what about EV repair,if a huge chunk comes from molded metal,would you need to replace a huge chunk,which would cost more-
A huge chunk?

What part number is that?

Quote:
can someone tell me what happens if an EV is in a bad accident and you need repair work done?
So far I have taken my vehicles to a local repair shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
We don't invest in rail because it's a loser.
Not exactly sure who 'we' are, but the USA spends millions every year to subsidize the rail road industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 08:09 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Not exactly sure who 'we' are, but the USA spends millions every year to subsidize the rail road industry.
Yes, millions too much. Exactly 0% of it is an "investment". An investment implies that we're expecting a return.

Amtrak is nothing more than a jobs program and yet another way for Congress to waste taxpayers' money at this point.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
thank you but my question is really meant for body work,since TSLA last night is showing off how a large piece of auto part comes out of a mold ,if it is a large piece,then replacement could be costly,what is the wait time for the factory to make and ship one to your repair shop?
Well, the Tesla is basically a performance car, built for light weight and aerodynamics. Moderately equipped models do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. So yes, they will probably be a little more to repair, and you’d probably want collision insurance. Which is higher in a Tesla. You can get cheaper EVs if repair costs or insurance costs are a concern.

What I wonder is what the real collision rates for Teslas are, compared to other models. You hear about the ones where self driving is involved, but for regular driving it has like every kind of accident avoidance. So maybe we just aren’t really hearing about how many accidents they don’t get in.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:37 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Well, the Tesla is basically a performance car, built for light weight and aerodynamics. Moderately equipped models do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. So yes, they will probably be a little more to repair, and you’d probably want collision insurance. Which is higher in a Tesla. You can get cheaper EVs if repair costs or insurance costs are a concern.

What I wonder is what the real collision rates for Teslas are, compared to other models. You hear about the ones where self driving is involved, but for regular driving it has like every kind of accident avoidance. So maybe we just aren’t really hearing about how many accidents they don’t get in.
Tesla's are generally not "light weight" (Roadster excluded). Their superiour acceleration comes from the fact that their electric motors are able to achieve maximum torque immediately after the accelerator is activated.

The point about safety features and accident avoidance can apply to a large number of cars and of course it's impossible to know for _any_ car "how many accidents they don't get in".

Old 04-08-2022, 08:44 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
perhaps but there are 2 things to address: 1)Generation of solar power and storage of said energy 2) scalability and life cycle of battery technology

People generate solar during the day but will need to charge cars at night. Batteries are very resource intensive for Rare earth minerals for production and highly toxic once the batteries need to be replaced. Fix both problems and it clearly is the future. until then I'll stick with my manual transmission ND Miata and smile while driving every day.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, millions too much. Exactly 0% of it is an "investment". An investment implies that we're expecting a return.

Amtrak is nothing more than a jobs program and yet another way for Congress to waste taxpayers' money at this point.
I agree that is not an investment, though we do spend a lot of tax-payer money on Railroads.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:00 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree that is not an investment, though we do spend a lot of tax-payer money on Railroads.
Yes and TBH we need to stop. Immediately.

No more throwing good money after bad. Too big to fail is too big to exist.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Yes and TBH we need to stop. Immediately.

No more throwing good money after bad. Too big to fail is too big to exist.
Mums the word.

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse. I understand and agree entirely.

Old 04-09-2022, 01:12 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Less $ to fuel.
Today, yes.

As more EVs are added, the price of electricity, especially at night, will increase.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:37 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Today, yes.

As more EVs are added, the price of electricity, especially at night, will increase.
Just a minor factor, the grid will have to be increased due to increasing population and energy use, EV's will have a moderate effect to the grid once they become dominant.

By using far less energy than ICE vehicles, the overall effect will be to reduce the cost of electricity and make the USA far wealthier by selling the oil we produce rather than consuming it. It will also reduce the monies going to Russia and the Middle East, making then less dangerous. Also the air will be cleaner, what's not to like unless you prefer breathing poisonous chemicals and poisoning your kids with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies