Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 05:31 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
One positive is that the cars are charging at night and not during the day. So they are able to more efficiently use the electric generating capacity. But I think if this motivates places to upgrage their electric grid, that is a positive thing.
There has been plenty of motivation to do that for the past 20+ years.....Government has always and will always suck at execution.

Last edited by albert648; 04-09-2022 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 07:00 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The future is likely to be electric, hybrid, combustion, alternative fuel combustion, and alternatives to combustion that are not electric.

It's all good.
And the value shopper let's all those technologies compete, drive prices down and innovation up and ends up with the good deal no matter how they go, so long as they let competition do its thing isntead of being herded by the forceful hand of government.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:03 PM

21,131 posts, read 19,707,707 times
There is no such thing as an electric car. The electric batteries are storage devices for petroleum-generated electricity.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:18 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Some people just think gas/oil is part of their political belief system and they are required to protect it for some reason. What do you care if people start buying electric cars? Supporting oil/gas isnt a conservative principle even though you may believe it is.
Exactly! I don't know why people want to make this political. I couldn't care less if the future of cars is gas, electric, hydrogen, etc... I just want the best performance I can get for the least amount of cost. Right now, that's gas. But if things keep improving in the EV market at the pace they are right now, I might be trading my diesel truck for an EV truck in the future.

Who on Earth would seriously be opposed to having an EV truck with better tech, more power, mind-blowing acceleration, great range, that costs a mere fraction of a what the equivalent gas truck would cost to operate? That's not conservative, that's stupid.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
There is no such thing as an electric car. The electric batteries are storage devices for petroleum-generated electricity.
Not so. Electricity is also generated by nuclear, hydroelectric, wind, and solar. And in the EVs themselves it is also generated by through friction in braking.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:05 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
That might be true for some. I recharge my hybrid using our household solar power system. My farm rarely uses grid power.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:46 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Some people just think gas/oil is part of their political belief system and they are required to protect it for some reason. What do you care if people start buying electric cars? Supporting oil/gas isnt a conservative principle even though you may believe it is.
Some people just think gas/oil is part of their political belief system and they are required to attack it for some reason.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:07 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
A question for those who splash around in the shallow end of the thought pool:

A 40 gal barrel of oil is roughly 3/4ths gasoline & kerosene. The remaining 1/4th is used for lubrication and solvent purposes and other industrial manufacturing applications. Those industrial uses won't go away if we no longer use the major portion for fuel, so we'll still have to pump just as much pertoleum out of the ground.

What do we do with that waste material? Burn it off?

Old 04-10-2022, 08:50 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A question for those who splash around in the shallow end of the thought pool:

A 40 gal barrel of oil is roughly 3/4ths gasoline & kerosene. The remaining 1/4th is used for lubrication and solvent purposes and other industrial manufacturing applications. Those industrial uses won't go away if we no longer use the major portion for fuel, so we'll still have to pump just as much pertoleum out of the ground.

What do we do with that waste material? Burn it off?
Since when is that the consumer's problem?

Old 04-10-2022, 09:50 AM

66 posts, read 70,111 times
Electrics will increase when an efficient price point and charging restrictions are met. Other huge hurdles are battery metals and recycling if those industries aren't ”green”. Nobody needs super car acceleration. 90% of noise comes from radial tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies