Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 08:14 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That might be true for some. I recharge my hybrid using our household solar power system. My farm rarely uses grid power.
How long does it take to charge your car with "Solar?"

3 weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
One positive is that the cars are charging at night and not during the day. So they are able to more efficiently use the electric generating capacity. But I think if this motivates places to upgrage their electric grid, that is a positive thing.
What happens for the millions of people who work the night shift?

Old 04-11-2022, 08:31 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
What happens for the millions of people who work the night shift?
Oh that is a tough one! Hmmmmm, I guess you charge during the day. Almost stumped me there!

Old 04-11-2022, 08:39 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You think relying on petroleum is better? Do you think gas stations still sell gas in a power outage?
They’ve been selling gas during power outages for my entire life. However, with modern technology having completely taken over, you can’t complete a retail transaction for anything with a large regional power outage, since everything is connected to networked systems, from fuel pumps to cash registers, so everything is pretty much dead in the water without electricity. But this would be the case in a widespread power outage. In the case of local targeted power shutdowns, like we suffered in Texas last year, where millions were without power for several days, you could drive 3 miles and find a gas station fully functioning. In fact, it was my gasoline powered automobile that kept me warm for 4 days, and provided charging for my mobile devices, so in that particular circumstance, I was happy I didn’t have an EV, or I would have been SOL.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Oh that is a tough one! Hmmmmm, I guess you charge during the day. Almost stumped me there!
So then why did you bring up the "charge at night" procedure as some kind of benefit?

The bottom line is that millions upon millions of electric vehicles would need to be able to be charged at all hours of every day of the year.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:49 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
So then why did you bring up the "charge at night" procedure as some kind of benefit?

The bottom line is that millions upon millions of electric vehicles would need to be able to be charged at all hours of every day of the year.
You are talking about the grid issues and overall most people charge at night and most people sleep at night. There are some outliers but when you are mentioning a system servicing large populations, you go with the averages.

I agree with you that improvements to power generation and transmission would have to be made. That seems like a good idea to me.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:02 AM

2,326 posts, read 960,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I owned a small mobile home park with a 1000 gallon propane tank. Totally legal in Los Angeles county at the time and likely still is. What’s the problem? Don’t trust yourself storing fuel? Then don’t do it.

Please show me a commercially available, propane powered car.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:50 AM

2,326 posts, read 960,613 times
Quote:
Perhaps you've missed the left's agenda? They don't want "both." They want Electric-only.

The left is so out of touch on this. "Just buy a Tesla" when gas prices are balked at.

So basically your argument against EV's is a political, ideological and not functional or environmental.

Functionally, at this stage of EV development, EVs make sense for some people, but not all.
The manufacturing of EV's is more polluting, but will make it for it after a certain amount of miles driven, and even sooner if the source of electricity is renewable.

It may not work for you, but others have already stated many reasons it works for them, functionally and environmentally, that you refuse to give credence to.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
So basically your argument against EV's is a political, ideological and not functional or environmental.

Functionally, at this stage of EV development, EVs make sense for some people, but not all.
The manufacturing of EV's is more polluting, but will make it for it after a certain amount of miles driven, and even sooner if the source of electricity is renewable.

It may not work for you, but others have already stated many reasons it works for them, functionally and environmentally, that you refuse to give credence to.
Obviously, you didn't read my original post.

My argument against them is PURELY functional, and that makes the gas lighting even worse that's been going on by the coercion campaign over the past 20 years.

Again: The leftist environMENTAL crown doesn't want choice, because that means their ideas would fail. The want conformity and are willing to use the might of the government to do it.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
2% for a reason.

Functionality is worse.
actually the EV's are functionally better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies