Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 09:11 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

I DO think EVs are the future. Battery materials are in short supply-at the moment, sure. But new sources are coming on line (especially deep sea mining) and they are recyclable (look into Tesla's battery recycling program). We aren't dependant on foreign countries for our electricity supply. Granted, we need to get over our own stupidity in mandating wind and solar, while shutting down nuke and coal plants. (hint, we need more nuclear, a lot more). And we'll need some upgrades to the grid, over time. Much, much simpler vehicles, no engine, no emission system, no transmission, no exhaust system, no fuel injection system, no ignition, no variable cam timing, no cylinder deactivation. All things that are complicated, expensive and failure prone. Just a battery , a charger and a motor(s). Minimal maintenance, much longer life, much lower cost to "fuel".

But it needs to be done WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION. No subsidies, no mandates, no government interference in the free markets. Let the best product win. Most people would have no animosity towards EVs if their tax dollars weren't being used to support them. And in time I think they will will out as a superior product FOR MOST PEOPLE and applications. Will they be the solution for all applications? Probably not-long distance, heavy towing in particular. But who knows, we'll see how the Tesla Semi pans out. Let the free market work. That's one thing I respect about Musk-he sees climate change as an issue. But instead of pushing for mandates and bans, like every government moron does, he addressed the problem by building a product that people were willing to buy-with their own money (Tesla buyers haven't qualified for federal tax credits for quite a while). Oh, and they still have a several month backlog of orders.

Now, I've been spending a lot of time watching videos, reading and learning. At this time, they aren't for everyone. Much more expensive than a similarly functional ICE. Great for local trips, in areas with mild(ish) weather. Long trips are an adventure due to limited charging infrastructure, especially off major highways and in colder weather. But things are changing very quickly. More EVs coming out very year. New sources of raw materials being developed. And EV fast charging infrastructure being built our rapidly. When DC fast chargers become as common as gas stations, a lot of issues and concerns go away. And look at the advantages there-no pipelines, no tank trucks to deliver fuel, no underground gas tanks to have to spend massive amounts of money on. Just hook up a couple wires and start selling electrons.

You have to remember, in 1908 IIRC, Henry Ford started building and selling Model Ts. There weren't gas stations on every corner, and every long trip was a true adventure (heck, paved roads didn't exist in most places). We're at the equivalent of about 1915 in terms of EV adoption. We've had a century to build up ICE infrastructure, design, development and manufacturing. We've had about 10 years of practical EV development, other than a few little glorified golf carts such as EV-1 or niche market products like the original Tesla roadster.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-14-2022 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 09:16 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Loan Amount, Term and Interest also influence payments.

Last time a dealer tried that nonsense on me, I just got up and walked out. Price first, financing second.
Its insulting to me when they ask what payment I am looking for. However, I understand that a lot of people will play that game so I cant blame them.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:17 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post

It is the price that determines what you can or cant afford.
And Americans can’t afford new cars.

Sorry for the breaking news.

You are advocating Americans go bankrupt and became slaves to debt over depreciating assets because they think they’re changing the weather.

The rest of us will enjoy our debt free life in our paid off vehicles.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:17 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Its insulting to me when they ask what payment I am looking for. However, I understand that a lot of people will play that game so I cant blame them.
I don't step foot on a dealership with intent to purchase unless I have already signed off on a price.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:19 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post

It's a crap econobox that the government has to pay YOU to buy.
Exactly. The solution to climate is not financing depreciating assets.

The notion is so absurd only the left would support it.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:24 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
You realize that this isnt an opinion question and you are wrong, right? How do you negotiate the payments if you have agreed on the price? Dealers take advantage of low sophistication consumers by trying to negotiate the payments instead of the price.
Price is different than cost. I've agreed to a price, then negotiated the loan terms and trade to get to the final cost. There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat. Dealers are very good at obfuscating the actual cost behind a variety financing schemes, rebates, and trade-in allowance. A savvy buyer does the same thing, except in reverse. The price I negotiate with the salesman means almost nothing. Don't let the dealer dictate to you - you dictate to them. They can't force you to buy a car, but you can walk out anytime you want.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:30 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Exactly. The solution to climate is not financing depreciating assets.

The notion is so absurd only the left would support it.
The left have never been good with money.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And Americans can’t afford new cars.

Sorry for the breaking news.

You are advocating Americans go bankrupt and became slaves to debt over depreciating assets because they think they’re changing the weather.

The rest of us will enjoy our debt free life in our paid off vehicles.
And yet, Americans are buying new cars and the vast majority arent EVs. So I am not sure why you are linking debt/new cars to EVs.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Price is different than cost. I've agreed to a price, then negotiated the loan terms and trade to get to the final cost. There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat. Dealers are very good at obfuscating the actual cost behind a variety financing schemes, rebates, and trade-in allowance. A savvy buyer does the same thing, except in reverse. The price I negotiate with the salesman means almost nothing. Don't let the dealer dictate to you - you dictate to them. They can't force you to buy a car, but you can walk out anytime you want.
I am not sure how the price negotiated means almost nothing. I am negotiating price and the trade in price. I usually have financing set up in advance and will give them the opportunity to match or beat it.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:47 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
Quote:
So are you negotiating the interest rate or the payments? When you sit down and negotiate payment with a car salesman, you think he is adjusting the interest rate? If you want to negotiate the interest rate, why would you talk about the payment?
Dude, again, there are three things to negotiate related to price.

1. The price of the car. If you are paying cash, write a check when you are satisfied with the price. Done.

2. If you can't or don't want to pay for the car and wish to finance, the next step is to talk about how much they will charge you for a loan. The fee is called the interest rate, and that is also negotiable. Once those terms are figured out, the total EXTRA money is added to the "cost of the car" and that gives you a grand total price.

3. Third is the TERM of the loan. One usually can get lower interest rates with shorter terms, but higher with longer terms. This is also part of the negotiation.

Add all this up and divide by the number of months in your term and that's your monthly payment.

The "monthly payment" is the culmination of the three factors above, not something that you start with.

Are you disputing any of this? It's "financial literacy" 101 (you used that term).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies