Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 11:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
True. If I drive my EV to work and need to recharge it, I'll need to swipe a credit card or something to set up some sort of payment. This opens all of us to possible skimmers and scammers at motels, and public parking areas, who would love to steal our credit card.

Think of all the people who park out on the street today. Will the city install EV chargers all over the streets so we can swipe our credit card to charge up? Gee I hope that while I'm watching TV that someone doesn't unplug my charger and steal my charge. Not everyone will have their own private and protected EV charger installed in their safe and comfy attached garage
The EV is most beneficial to those living in a big city where they have many short trips, unfortunately that's where there are less opportunities for home charging. Landlords are not likely to install them in the parking garages, carports or parking lots, but in many cases there is no parking available other than on the street for apartments. Imagine seeing 300' long orange extension cords coming out of windows and running across the sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 11:49 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
What I said still applies. China is developing. They likely stole tech, reversed engineered things, engaged in unscrupulous business practices. Many have stated it was voluntarily given to them in exchange for manufacturing the widgets there and access to their 1B large market.

But this is happening less now that they are the leaders of various industries.
My response was to the OP that said that the Chinese are not smart and only steal.

An argument can be made that by allowing developing countries to progress is a net benefit for everyone, as they can be brought up to date instead of starting from scratch and make impactful discoveries and innovations today.
That model works, as long as these developing nations are not harsh dictatorships with unfair business practices, essentially running slave states where the government works people in unsafe conditions for slave wages

Old 04-22-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The EV is most beneficial to those living in a big city where they have many short trips, unfortunately that's where there are less opportunities for home charging. Landlords are not likely to install them in the parking garages, carports or parking lots, but in many cases there is no parking available other than on the street for apartments. Imagine seeing 300' long orange extension cords coming out of windows and running across the sidewalks.
And yet, it's those large metropolitan cities who build enough mass transit that their citizens don't need to even own a car. My state is peppered with tiny towns with populations of 300-5,000 people and simply do not have the resources to build mass transit much less build all the many manufacturer versions of EV chargers. a lot of these towns are only just now getting broadband internet, and quite a few still don't

Old 04-22-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I don't think this is correct. Natural gas power plants are way more efficient than current natural gas vehicles. Perhaps natural gas vehicles will move away from a conventional ICE format and work like a generator for a direct drive motor, but as it stands right now it is more efficient to use natural gas to convert into electricity than power a CNG Civic.

As for the thread prompt, electric vehicles are absolutely the future...but they won't be the future forever. They will increase the efficiency of intermodal transportation and be a bridge for the next technology. I imagine there will be electric motors without conventional batteries, much like the hydrogen fuel cell concept.
EVs will only be the future until the rare earth materials start running out, or the harsh environmental impact finally wakes people up. You do know that the vast majority of rare earth metals are controlled by China, Vietnam, Russia and India, etc... US consumers might be able to ignore the environmental damage that mining for rare earth metals will have, but eventually people will learn of it.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:13 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Only about 15% of Americans live in an apartment so the vast majority have access to a home charger. I do agree that there will need to be a movement in the future to provide charging in apartments but there will be once the move to EV's is further along.

We met some people at a charging station here in Phoenix last week that live in an apartment but have free charging for 3 years through their purchase of a Hyundai Ionic 5, so there are still good options for apartment dwellers available.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-by-state-usa/

Old 04-22-2022, 12:21 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Where did your "sources" get the data from?

Did you also believe the China Virus numbers they put out that the New York Times published too?

So you didn't even bother to click on the links to read them. They are the official organizations that run the competitions.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:28 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That model works, as long as these developing nations are not harsh dictatorships with unfair business practices, essentially running slave states where the government works people in unsafe conditions for slave wages

Disagree.
You think liberal democracies are the only ones that can invent and innovate?
I'd argue that once ones hierarchy of needs are met, and a highly educated population exists, that's fertile breeding grounds for innovation. Russia, China, Germany, Japan. They were under authoritarian rule at various points in their history and were able to innovate.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:38 PM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Where did your "sources" get the data from?

Did you also believe the China Virus numbers they put out that the New York Times published too?

The China virus that was funded by the US government?

Old 04-22-2022, 01:40 PM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Only about 15% of Americans live in an apartment so the vast majority have access to a home charger. I do agree that there will need to be a movement in the future to provide charging in apartments but there will be once the move to EV's is further along.

We met some people at a charging station here in Phoenix last week that live in an apartment but have free charging for 3 years through their purchase of a Hyundai Ionic 5, so there are still good options for apartment dwellers available.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-by-state-usa/
I think for EVs to make sense to people who can't charge at home there will need to be easy access to charging stations and a 5-10 minute time to fill up. No idea when that is realistic.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:52 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Actually I made the thread because I wanted to show people like you that most people think EVs aren't the future.
Actually from my perspective it sounds more as if you simply wish to vent your hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies