Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 07:59 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Google is your friend.

Public charging stations in NJ:
Paramus, NJ
Edison, NJ · In the Menlo Park
Maple Shade, NJ
Cranbury, NJ
Parsippany, NJ
Boonton, NJ
Freehold, NJ
Elizabeth, NJ · In Jersey Gardens
North Brunswick Township, NJ
Burlington, NJ
Tinton Falls, NJ
Hoboken, NJ
Flemington, NJ
Hamilton Township, NJ
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Basking Ridge, NJ
Marlton, NJ
Deptford, NJ
Montclair, NJ
Short Hills, NJ
West Orange, NJ
Paulsboro, NJ
Kearny, NJ
Robbinsville Twp, NJ
Springfield, NJ
Cedar Knolls, NJ
East Brunswick, NJ
Lodi, NJ
Pennsauken Township, NJ
Cherry Hill, NJ
Toms River, NJ
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Westampton, NJ
Hamilton Township, NJ
Rockaway, NJ
Clarksburg, NJ
Galloway, NJ
Westfield, NJ
Oldmans Township, NJ

Okay I quit, I cut & pasted from 2 pages, google lists 10 pages of these.
So, one per city? And are these the "Red" super chargers or the "Grey" non-super chargers that take way longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 09:23 AM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Finally some sanity from an EV owner. Much appreciated.
I have only been sane. You appear to have an irrational loyalty to gasoline.

I understand public charging is available for those without home charging and they can make it work if they really want to. But for mass adoption of people who cant charge at home, that charging situation needs to be as easy as it is for an ICE owner to fill up at a gas station.

For someone with home charging (like me) the public charging infrastructure isnt nearly as important and I very much prefer having my electric motor over a gas engine (and environmental impact is 0% of my decision).

Old 04-25-2022, 09:28 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I live in NJ and I have looked for chargers. You see that one in Woodbridge, that is the only Tesla Supercharger available between where I live and Staten Island. I dont know how many of those are not Tesla Superchargers but if they arent, I am not going to them. Even still, that list doesnt represent as much availability as you seem to think it does. You can try to convince someone who is ignorant that based on that list NJ has abundant charging infrastructure but I know better. I also found myself with very low battery in Eatontown a couple of months ago and after searching for a place to charge, it left me with the best option to just hope I make it home. I did with 2 miles of charge left.
So, what you are saying is that if you work hard enough you can come up with excuses for why you can not use any of the hundreds of charging stations in your tiny state.

Okay I agree, you can do that.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Saturday was a good example of why we cannot do with an EV. We left home in the Seattle area at 6:30am (in our Outback) and stopped for breakfast about an hour later, at a restaurant with no EV chargers. We went on to Portland where we bough a few things at Duluth Trading, again no EV chargers there. After that we went to the Portland Nursery on Stark, spent about 45 minutes buying plants, again no EV chargers. Then we had a nice lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Beaverton, again no EV chargers there. All that on less than half a tank of gas, but we stopped anyway and filled up at Costco since there is no sales tax on gas there and it saved us about 49 cents a gallon. At about 6pm we were close to home in Covington, WA and stopped for dinner at a Mexican restaurant, and . . again no EV chargers. We were home about 7:30, total of 470 miles.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 956,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Also, even at a supercharger the speed is not nearly as fast as filling with gas. So that is what I am talking about when I say that a gas station like experience is needed. Needs to be within 15 minutes of your location and needs to fill in 5-10 minutes.

Nio battery swap stations are where it's at.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So, what you are saying is that if you work hard enough you can come up with excuses for why you can not use any of the hundreds of charging stations in your tiny state.

Okay I agree, you can do that.
So you think a majority of people without home charging are going to buy an EV as long as they can access 6.6kwh charging somewhere? That is an irrational position.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Nio battery swap stations are where it's at.
I dont know anything about Nio doing battery swapping. Battery swapping used to be discussed but doesnt seem to be on the table these days. Being able to swap out a battery in a few minutes time would seem to solve the issue. I assume some people decided it would be too difficult to make that work.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:49 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Do you think it's a good idea to plan on something long term being available that is "free?"

Most people understand that nothing is "free" and for a business to stick around, whether it's making cars or selling electricity, they have to make a stable profit?
Our nearest Ruby Tuesday restaurant has a row of tesla charging stations in their parking lot. It is my understanding that the entire chain nationwide has contracted with tesla to have these free charging stations for all of their customers.

You are making a big deal out of 25-cents worth of electricity.

I assure you that the corporate accountants at Ruby Tuesday are way ahead of you. They see a new trend is coming and they want to lure in the niche market of EV drivers.

There are websites that show the locations of all charging stations to make it easy for drivers to find them.

Last year I was in negotiations with a local non-profit group who installs solar farms, I was going to lease to them 30-acres of my land to install a solar farm here. In the package deal we were discussing they were also going to install an EV charging station on my land, all paid for by a grant from Tesla. With the current deals being offered, there is no money coming from the land-owner or business owner. The non-profit group who dies this covers all costs for the solar farm and for the charging stations [along with a 30-year lease contract to pay the land-owner every year]. My problem turned out to be that I live far too rural, to tap into the power grid I would need a 3-phase power line within a mile of my farm, the closest 3-phase power is over 15 miles from my location.

Any business can contract to have a solar-farm, and/or a Tesla charging station installed without it costing the business-owner anything.

There exist investors who are perfectly willing to dump money into this paradigm. So land-owners and business-men do not need to pony up any money to make it happen.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:04 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Ford just announced it is increasing production of the Lightning 150 from 40,000 to 150,000 units for this year. EVs are in demand and will soon dominate the new car space.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Saturday was a good example of why we cannot do with an EV. We left home in the Seattle area at 6:30am (in our Outback) and stopped for breakfast about an hour later, at a restaurant with no EV chargers. We went on to Portland where we bough a few things at Duluth Trading, again no EV chargers there. After that we went to the Portland Nursery on Stark, spent about 45 minutes buying plants, again no EV chargers. Then we had a nice lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Beaverton, again no EV chargers there. All that on less than half a tank of gas, but we stopped anyway and filled up at Costco since there is no sales tax on gas there and it saved us about 49 cents a gallon. At about 6pm we were close to home in Covington, WA and stopped for dinner at a Mexican restaurant, and . . again no EV chargers. We were home about 7:30, total of 470 miles.
The city of Portland in Oregon, United States, has 432 public charging station ports (Level 2 and Level 3)
https://chargehub.com/en/countries/u.../portland.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies