Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 11:36 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,947,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This is incorrect. We are XY or XX from the moment sperm meets egg (rarely XXY as previous poster said.). We are not nothing, nor do XX’s change to XY’s.
I didn't say they did. But yes, I should have specified we all start out with female genitalia.

Quote:
Furthermore, XX or XY creates circumstances during development in the womb, at the cellular level. An XX person is different on the cellular level than an XY person. This goes on to affect things like the heart and lungs and muscles, not just genitalia.
And? What does that have to do with why a person perceives that they are more male than female, or vis versa?

Quote:
https://www.dailysignal.com/2017/11/...ansgender/amp/

You are also overlooking that some people do in fact identify as “furries”:

Quote:
A study on furries led by Canadian college professor Dr. Kathy Gerbasi and published in the journal Society & Animals found that approximately 25% of those surveyed considered themselves less than 100% human and would become 0% human if they could. Strike said that most furries he encountered grew up with interests in anthropomorphic cartoon characters and now find comfort around others with the same interest.
https://nypost.com/2022/01/27/im-a-r...-box-joke/amp/

None of these people started life as a furry dragon, yet here we are.
No, of course they didn't.

But people do have complicated endocrine and other systems that are not fully understood.

I don't know anyone that started life in utero developing fluffy polyester wings.

Quote:
A man cannot be a mother. Ever. Mothers and fathers are not the same, regardless of who stays home and who goes to work.
I agree with that. I don't know where I said otherwise. All that matters there is that one is a good parent. One can be a good parent even if they're different. Hormones go a long way toward nurturing instincts.

Quote:
I mean that the numbers of young persons (particularly girls) who believe they are the wrong gender is at an alarming high…more than at any other time in modern history.
I was responding to the OP, who said that, not you.

Quote:
It has raised concerned in the UK. In 2018:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...y-mordaunt/amp

A 4,415% increase in a decade is not normal.

Other countries, like Finland and Sweden, have banned administering gender change hormones or surgeries to young people.

https://genderreport.ca/finland-stri...der-dysphoria/
There's nothing wrong with looking into it, I think that's a good thing.

I don't know why you're lecturing me like I don't know anything about it.

For example, my biological daughter who now identifies as non binary (and has for three years now, they're about to turn 15) is absolutely allowed to express themselves however they see fit, and we are fully behind them as parents. However, they are not allowed to do anything surgical or hormonal as far as treatment goes until they are 18, and they need to go to counselling and seek expert medical help from now until then, to make sure they are in the right headspace to make those decisions.

Luckily they see this as quite reasonable and not being trans exactly means we don't know what it's like to have a child who is distraught and really struggling. Which I wouldn't want for anyone to have to experience.

For all those who think parents choose this for their children for attention or other such nonsense, I would stress that for most people that is absolutely not the case. It's really hard, actually.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 04-04-2022 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 11:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Like all the talk about homosexuality when we first started to talk publicly, anyone who chooses this path is not choosing a trendy, easy, path.
So how about we save a lot of children and families a lot of grief and stop trying to make it trendy and fashionable?

Old 04-04-2022, 11:47 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So how about we save a lot of children and families a lot of grief and stop trying to make it trendy and fashionable?
It isn't trendy or fashionable. It just isn't.

YES we hear about it more because we have become more open about talking about it.

Just like the homosexuality thing.

Folks were afraid that just talking about and accept homosexuality would lead to more people being gay. It doesn't work that way.

There is nothing about that that is trendy or fashionable.

It's not easy -- even in communities where there is general acceptance....because there isn't really general acceptance.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:

YES we hear about it more because we have become more open about talking about it.

Folks were afraid that just talking about and accept homosexuality would lead to more people being gay. It doesn't work that way.

There is nothing about that that is trendy or fashionable.

It's not easy -- even in communities where there is general acceptance....because there isn't really general acceptance.
Agreed.

For example my child is in a high school of about 880 kids, and here in Australia high school is year 7 - 12, and they are the only one that is gender non conforming.

Anecdotal I know, but I don't think it's as prevalent in a "trendy" way as people think it is.

It really is a lot of work for all involved, and a lot of risk for the kid who braves it.

We worry every single day that someone is going to think it's alright to beat up (or worse) our kid because there's a lot of dehumanising of gender non conforming youth.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:

They evidence indicates that it does indeed work that way. Gen Z is way more gay and transgendered than any generation before it.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:05 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Because a man cannot become a woman and a woman cannot become a man.

What if someone identifies as a mermaid or as a horse or as Ramses the Second? Should we just “accept and acknowledge everyone is different” or should we try to get that person mental health treatment?

Even if we say, fine, go ahead and believe you are a mermaid, why does the rest of the world need to pretend that this person is a mermaid? There are no mermaids. It doesn’t matter if you believe it—it isn’t true.
I guess it’s based on education and facts… took a long time for some to give up that the world was flat. People still don’t accept fibromyalgia is real.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
They evidence indicates that it does indeed work that way. Gen Z is way more gay and transgendered than any generation before it.
That's not what it says.

Perhaps there have always been that amount of LGBTQ+ people, but obviously there was not an easy path to admitting it out loud prior to now.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:45 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,006 times
Quote:
You confuse "more gay and transgendered" with more out of the closet.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's not what it says.

Perhaps there have always been that amount of LGBTQ+ people, but obviously there was not an easy path to admitting it out loud prior to now.
If it's easy now to say out loud that one is LGBTQ+, then why do so few Millennials, Gen Xs and Boomers admit this to pollsters compared with Gen Zs?

Old 04-05-2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
You confuse "more gay and transgendered" with more out of the closet.
I suspect it's the Gen Zs who are confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies