Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 10:53 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

I still say it’s hard to know what a transgender person is.

Is it a tomboy or a girl with muscles? Is it a man who acts effeminately or has a slim figure? What about a drag queen? How much like the opposite sex do you have to be like to be considered transgender?

It seems to me there are a lot of gray areas.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:53 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You regularly get updates from about 350 people that you know personally?

You meet with all of them how many times a year? When do you sleep? Work?

Your numbers are faulty.

Not everyone is on FB and not everyone has 338 connections. And "connections" do not equal "personally know." And every one of those connections is unique? No overlap? There are no people that have the same 50 family members or repeat ... across the same 50 family members?

42% of American do not "personally know" someone who is transgendered. It's statically impossible.

Stop pretending like transgenders are the majority of the population. They aren't.
In anecdotally speaking, I don't know or am acquainted with anyone that's Trans. My personal network is about 1,000 people between growing up with people, school and work life. I live outside New York in a populace suburb and maybe see 1 trans person a month, if that, in public.

I used to international travel every month for work, saw much of the world. The only places where i've trans people are in South America (specifically Brazil, Columbia, Panama), and they were generally a lot better looking than any woman, so that was the way to point them out. Southeast Asia obviously has their ladyboy's, but those are really the only places where they exist in some type of countable population.

I do think part of it is related to the chemicals we are consuming, but most of it is some type of indoctrination, cultural issues, attention issues, something more related to mental health issues over anything else.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:56 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Right, some people have thousands, some are relative hermits. 338 is average.

Yes if someone asks me if I know "Bob" and I have met him in person and connected to him on facebook/twitter/linkedin I would absolutely say yes I "know" him.

I'm not pretending transgenders are some majority. They absolutely are rare.

Stop pretending like we're farther apart than we are. It's the whole reason why the promise of Pyramid schemes fall on their face rather quickly. We're all a lot more closely connected than you realize.
Six degrees of separation
You don't "know" Bob. He's just some guy you met once. If you passed "Bob" on the street you wouldn't even recognize him.

FB has destroyed your ability to assess what a relationship is.

I wave to my mail carrier. Does that mean I know her? Nope. Not even close.

Stop pretending we are closer then we are. We're not. FB just makes you "think" you are. It's not reality.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:59 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well that's true, and that's a horrible dereliction of parental responsibility if that's the case.

But these scenarios are exactly why I prefaced my point by saying outliers notwithstanding. Because you can't judge a whole group of people based on the extreme end of the spectrum.

For example, should I judge all sports parents because a very small percentage push their kids to be professional athletes to the point where their bodies and self esteem are ruined for life?

Should I judge all religious parents because there are some that are so fanatical that they withhold life saving medical treatment or induct them into cults from infancy?

No. There are strenuous checks, medically and psychologically, on anyone before they undertake any kind of gender affirming procedure. It's not as simple as parents deciding their kids are trans and sticking to it.
I think we all expect that there are strenuous checks by the parents and/or medical community, but in large numbers of cases where kids can go to their local Planned Parenthood for testosterone or estrogen, there are minimal checks and no requirements for psychological therapy or testing. That’s per the growing number of kids who de-transitioned later in life.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:04 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
You don't "know" Bob. He's just some guy you met once. If you passed "Bob" on the street you wouldn't even recognize him.

FB has destroyed your ability to assess what a relationship is.

I wave to my mail carrier. Does that mean I know her? Nope. Not even close.

Stop pretending we are closer then we are. We're not. FB just makes you "think" you are. It's not reality.
Yes, I know them. I know how to contact them, in person. I see regular pictures of their kids/pets. I can ask or give them advice. Propose a group meet up at a bar for drinks, what have you.

The six degrees of separation thing predates FB...

Just because you don't have very many people in your life doesn't mean that's the typical experience.

I just don't "know" them in the biblical sense if that's your standard.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think we all expect that there are strenuous checks by the parents and/or medical community, but in large numbers of cases where kids can go to their local Planned Parenthood for testosterone or estrogen, there are minimal checks and no requirements for psychological therapy or testing. That’s per the growing number of kids who de-transitioned later in life.
The video of the young woman who detransitioned said when she went to Planned Parenthood initially, she was prescribed testosterone on her first visit. They read a bunch of questions off a questionnaire and decided she was a 'great candidate' to transition.

She met with an intake RN and then an NP.

Never saw a psych.

Never saw an MD.

She had just turned 18.

She told the NP she would need more testosterone than the NP initially wanted to prescribe. So the NP upped the dose. Just because the patient asked her to.

No oversight at ALL.

She was never counseled on what to expect. The testosterone destroyed her emotional stability and she ended up on other psych meds.

Just a horrific snowball of absolute negligence, playing with this young woman's life all under the guise of "celebrating trans"!!!!!!!

And there is CRICKETS about this from the LGBTQ community.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know them. I know how to contact them, in person. I see regular pictures of their kids/pets. I can ask or give them advice. Propose a group meet up at a bar for drinks, what have you.

The six degrees of separation thing predates FB...

Just because you don't have very many people in your life doesn't mean that's the typical experience.

I just don't "know" them in the biblical sense if that's your standard.
You meet regularly with 300+ people?

Not buying it. Sell somewhere else.

Oh ... seeing pictures online of their pets!!!! Well, then I'm friends with [insert politician] and [insert celebrity].

Old 04-06-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You meet regularly with 300+ people?

Not buying it. Sell somewhere else.

Oh ... seeing pictures online of their pets!!!! Well, then I'm friends with [insert politician] and [insert celebrity].
You're just being facetious.

Question was not are any transgender people your BFFs. Just do you know them. I "know" a good deck guy. Let me give you his number to take a look at your project. You attach an awful lot to the term "know".

Old 04-06-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You're just being facetious.

Question was not are any transgender people your BFFs. Just do you know them. I "know" a good deck guy. Let me give you his number to take a look at your project. You attach an awful lot to the term "know".
'Personally know'

That means friend or family.

Not the guy at the gas station I met when I was on vacation.

Definitions are important. Like 'man' and 'woman.'

If "guy at the gas station I met when I was on vacation" is your definition of 'personally know' then yes, six degrees of separate and EVERYONE knows transgenders.

Which means the 42% statistic is 100% meaningless. /shrug/

Old 04-06-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
'Personally know'

That means friend or family.

Not the guy at the gas station I met when I was on vacation.

Definitions are important. Like 'man' and 'woman.'

If "guy at the gas station I met when I was on vacation" is your definition of 'personally know' then yes, six degrees of separate and EVERYONE knows transgenders.

Which means the 42% statistic is 100% meaningless. /shrug/
Yes, which is why I raised the question of the definition.

For me 'personally know' is a direct link. I've met them and had a conversation. Rather than my friend knows them and I've heard of them second hand situation(know of them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies