Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 10:26 PM

31,841 posts, read 14,828,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
God used to use a lever that you pull for a male or female body prior to birth. Now it’s been updated to a computer system. The system often has bugs, crashes, or is down for upgrades so more people’s orders are getting messed up.
Body parts determine our sex. But our brain determines our gender. Our brain controls everything. Some just don't identify with the parts they were born with. And kids know this at an early age. I know many can't understand and that's why they call them mentally ill. Why can't we just accept and acknowledge everyone is different.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:28 PM

9,545 posts, read 7,009,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Who is making me use certain pronouns or cancelling me? That is just ridiculous. This has never come up in my life and probably not yours either.

I live in a conservative small town. I visit about once a week a neighbor named Charles Ross. 86 years old. He wants to be referred to as Mr. Ross. That is fine with me. Whatever title or pronoun someone wants to use (like I said this has never come up regarding trans people) I will respect them for that. What is so hard about that?

However I don't think that trans women who were born men should compete in sports against women. That needs to stop. But your other comments are just right wing talking points. None of this effects me at all personally.

We have issues in this country. Things that effect all Americans. But picking on trans people who the vast majority are just trying to live their lives is immoral. Not fair to them at all.

It affects me because it affects my children. There are, for example, very few colleges/universities where a student can escape from the required “woke” class…AKA gender studies. It affects me because we have a likely Supreme Court Justice who will not provide a definition of a woman because she is “not a biologist.” Living in a society devoid of logic and common sense affects me.

Secondly, it is ridiculous to say that these are just “talking points”. This is a discussion forum; we all opine on things that affect us in broad ways or narrow ways, or comment on events that affect our society or our culture. A recent example is the Will Smith slap. That affected literally 2 people, and yet the whole world has been talking about it.

Finally, no one is “picking on” trans people. Wanting to live in and deal with reality is not “picking on” someone. I have posted numerous times that I wish trans people could get more mental health help…because unfortunately, their rate of suicide is still horribly high, even after gender reassignment surgery. The surgery doesn’t really help them, in terms of suicidal ideation. And you have also overlooked all the trans right activists who “pick on” those who won’t subscribe to trans ideology. That definitely isn’t fair.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:42 PM

9,545 posts, read 7,009,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Body parts determine our sex. But our brain determines our gender. Our brain controls everything. Some just don't identify with the parts they were born with. And kids know this at an early age. I know many can't understand and that's why they call them mentally ill. Why can't we just accept and acknowledge everyone is different.
Because a man cannot become a woman and a woman cannot become a man.

What if someone identifies as a mermaid or as a horse or as Ramses the Second? Should we just “accept and acknowledge everyone is different” or should we try to get that person mental health treatment?

Even if we say, fine, go ahead and believe you are a mermaid, why does the rest of the world need to pretend that this person is a mermaid? There are no mermaids. It doesn’t matter if you believe it—it isn’t true.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:00 PM

3,367 posts, read 2,848,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That is my thought. These Republicans who screamed bloody murder with covid and vaccine restrictions have no problem telling trans persons and or their parents how to live their lives. Another thread on CD talks about a possible legalization of Marijuana and its amazing how many Republicans want to tell people what they can put in their bodies. They hypocrisy is over the top.

I have no issue with trans people or gay people or someone who wants to smoke pot. Time to leave others alone. The vast majority of trans people are just living their lives not asking for anything. Yet Republicans keep taunting them for political gain. How sad.
I agree with you, but many Republicans became Republicans for a reason. They happen to have children, they tend to earn money, etc. As a Libertarian, I totally agree with everyone's right to live their life as they seem fit. As a parent, I am not so sure I want my children to swap genders back and forth.

16,849 posts, read 10,483,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
It’s not “live and let live” right now and you know it.

It is:

• recognize me by my preferred pronouns or I’m going to botch your medical procedure intentionally.

• Agree that a man can give birth or you will be cancelled. (Example: JK Rowling)

•’Compete against a man if you are a female athlete. Don’t speak out against it for fear you will be canceled or kicked out of your university.

And on and on.
I agree with this. Never had an issue with a trans person in my life. But now I’m told that I have to agree that a male is in fact a female. I have to be okay with someone giving hormone blockers to prepubescent children. I have to agree that men can give birth. Sorry, nope.
Moderators for US and World Forums

13,291 posts, read 9,818,577 times
Quote:

What if someone identifies as a mermaid or as a horse or as Ramses the Second? Should we just “accept and acknowledge everyone is different” or should we try to get that person mental health treatment?

Even if we say, fine, go ahead and believe you are a mermaid, why does the rest of the world need to pretend that this person is a mermaid? There are no mermaids. It doesn’t matter if you believe it—it isn’t true.
Understanding within yourself that you are not wired to live as the gender your genitalia suggests you should does not equate with fancying yourself a pickle, or a dead historical figure.

You don't know what biological mechanism or otherwise makes this a reality for some people.

Perhaps when we understand how the wiring between hormonal systems, brain chemistry, or whatever else may be at play to trigger this does so, it will become blatantly obvious and we will no longer be mystified by it, and it will make perfect sense to our future selves, just like the myriad of other things we've learned about biology that are now commonplace and understood.

There are women and men, and as all people start life as female, it is not a huge stretch to imagine something happens to some people where that process of becoming one of those options is just not binary for them like it is for most.

I don't know anyone who starts in the womb as a female and ends up a horse. Or a mermaid.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:03 PM

3,367 posts, read 2,848,158 times
Quote:

You can argue that a man cannot become a woman, but I might point out that a man can fit into woman's gender role in the society and blend in successfully. When we talk about changing genders, it's often we talk about those societal roles, and rarely (if ever) about what chromosomes they had.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:12 PM

13,291 posts, read 9,818,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Everyone is aware of the surging "transgender" movement, especially when it comes to children wishing to change their gender identity.

My question is thus: Is this a modern-day fad, part of political tribalism that's pervasive in our society, or is it something that's really happening to our children? By that, I mean, is it a real thing that more and more children are really born into the "wrong body," something that hasn't happened in all of human history?

I've heard theories that plastics and other pollutants are causing a blurring of the genders, with large numbers of children being born who are not really one gender or the other, but more in between. Hence, the "identity shifting" that we see so much today.

I have no idea if this is true or not, and I sincerely hope that all of this is simply a popular fad, which will soon die out.

What are your opinions on this matter?
What do you mean hasn't happened in all of human history?

Numerous cultures have accepted either multiple genders or that there are transgender members of their societies for thousands of years.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:26 PM

627 posts, read 280,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Understanding within yourself that you are not wired to live as the gender your genitalia suggests you should does not equate with fancying yourself a pickle, or a dead historical figure.

You don't know what biological mechanism or otherwise makes this a reality for some people.

Perhaps when we understand how the wiring between hormonal systems, brain chemistry, or whatever else may be at play to trigger this does so, it will become blatantly obvious and we will no longer be mystified by it, and it will make perfect sense to our future selves, just like the myriad of other things we've learned about biology that are now commonplace and understood.

There are women and men, and as all people start life as female, it is not a huge stretch to imagine something happens to some people where that process of becoming one of those options is just not binary for them like it is for most.

I don't know anyone who starts in the womb as a female and ends up a horse. Or a mermaid.
No, we don't all start out female in the womb. We all start out as protoplasm in the womb. Then we do indeed move through being a mermaid. Or a seahorse, depending on your perspective: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/art-20045302

Genetically, i.e., biologically, however, we do start out as male or female, right out the gate. XY or XX. Occasionally XXY or XYY, and even XXX, but those syndromes are very rare, and they are still sexed.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:34 PM

31,841 posts, read 14,828,433 times
Quote:

Why are you talking about mermaids when this is about gender. They don't need mental health. They know exactly what they are doing and just want to live their lives and be happy with the body they identify with. Their decision doesn't affect you so just let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies