Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 11:25 AM

8,927 posts, read 2,958,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think so, childless people should ay $1000/mo tax extra. We've probably spent $1M or more on our kids, definitely more now that I think of it.
Gee, liberals demanding more tax money from "other people." I'm shocked!

Old 04-06-2022, 11:33 AM

28,354 posts, read 16,362,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think so, childless people should ay $1000/mo tax extra. We've probably spent $1M or more on our kids, definitely more now that I think of it.
So, you want taxpayers to subsidize your lifestyle choices?

Old 04-06-2022, 11:35 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,149,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Given that Western society is aging, don't you think it would be a great idea to collect higher tax rates on each childless person? And, say, have the "normal" rate once a person parents 2 children (so, no advantage for having too many children either).

There could be also an "adoption" route for those who is not capable to give birth.
I'm pretty sure they already do. Having dependent children allows for a very nice tax deduction.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:35 AM

28,354 posts, read 16,362,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Where do you people come up with such garbage?
My guess is by reading "Great Replacement" websites/blogs.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:49 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
My guess is by reading "Great Replacement" websites/blogs.
I would suspect as much. I mentioned Black people having declining birth rates (and they are declining particularly among the Black middle and upper middle classes). So far, no answer on that.

I'm familiar with said "Great Replacement" websites like Taki's Mag, SBPDL (Stuff Black People Don't Like, which is written by Paul Kersey), Occidental Dissent, HBDChick (or other "human biodiversity" bloggers), American Renaissance, VDARE, etc. I have read some of their stuff. I notice a strong white nationalism slant. On other stuff, it tends to be more anti-Black than pro-White. Stuff in the comment sections of those sites, well, let's just put it this way. The Terms of Service is a big part of why we don't see MORE of that stuff here as you might see on those sites. This site isn't geared towards the "Great Replacement" rhetoric at all. However, there are people who are of that mentality who will come here.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:05 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,883,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Ah, and now we've come to the real point of this silly thread. Unsurprising.

Well, this country was founded on the European ideology, religion, customs, and so on. And they seem to be working pretty decently so far. We could replace them with the values of immigrants of different countries, but if those were so good, why people decided to leave them in the first place.

It's not about Black vs White. It's more about Americans in at least 3rd generation vs Immigrants. The more Americans age, and replaced with the immigrants, the more American culture gets watered down and replaced by the culture of the old country.

Maybe USA is unique in this regard, tbh... It needs all of the cultures of the world to continue to be true to its roots.... But its roots were initially European, and it is sad to see the country loses its values and cultural code.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:11 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,883,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would suspect as much. I mentioned Black people having declining birth rates (and they are declining particularly among the Black middle and upper middle classes). So far, no answer on that.

I'm familiar with said "Great Replacement" websites like Taki's Mag, SBPDL (Stuff Black People Don't Like, which is written by Paul Kersey), Occidental Dissent, HBDChick (or other "human biodiversity" bloggers), American Renaissance, VDARE, etc. I have read some of their stuff. I notice a strong white nationalism slant. On other stuff, it tends to be more anti-Black than pro-White. Stuff in the comment sections of those sites, well, let's just put it this way. The Terms of Service is a big part of why we don't see MORE of that stuff here as you might see on those sites. This site isn't geared towards the "Great Replacement" rhetoric at all. However, there are people who are of that mentality who will come here.

I wouldn't care on person skin color (not more than hair color or eye color), but different upbringing creates different behaviors. If you teach a kid from the young age that his ancestors were oppressed by white people, he would grow up having strong resentment on those facts. If you teach a kid that skin color doesn't matter, then it wouldn't matter to him.

So, anti-Black sentiment for many white people came from observations of every day life and generalization (often incorrect, but that's how people work - see individual cases, then form generalizations, then apply them to new individual cases - if they are proved wrong, they review the generalizations and so on).

100 years ago, white people were prejudiced toward Chinese. Now.... Do we ever hear anything against them?

Old 04-06-2022, 12:20 PM

7,496 posts, read 4,343,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
An increase in value is better than no increase or a decrease in value due to a poor performing school district or no school.

Retirees do in fact cash out, downsize and/or move to a less expensive area. Your choice not to cash out and enrich your heirs.
Some people do and some people don't so what's your point? In New York I lived in a home that was in a poor performing school district in fact it was one of the worst in the state. But it was what we could afford. I was paying $12,000 a year in property taxes on an 1,100 sq. ft. 3bdr. 1bth. home and that was 12 years ago.

Because of the school district it took us 3 years to sell our home. Every year they kept raising the property taxes well over the cost of living index. The school taxes were the worst. Yet the schools never got any better. We'd always voted the school budgets down. I even got into an argument with one of the school board members over the constant property tax increase year after year. Only to be told that I should be happy that my home has increased in value over the years. That response infuriated me.

Have you ever sat down and figured out what your mortgage payments were over 15 or 30 years? Then figured out how much your maintenance costs and property taxes were over the course of owning your home? My guess is probably not?

I still stand by my statement that your house is not a bank. There are a lot of people too that are house rich and cash poor. In which case they could get an equity loan that has to be paid back or a reverse mortgage.

We own our home free and clear and haven't had any debt since 1995 when our old home was paid off. We bought our house in Arizona for $250,000 and it's now worth around $500,000. If you can figure out how I can take $250,000 out of my home and stay in it free and clear without getting an equity loan or reverse mortgage. Please let me know.

We now live in a nicer house in a much nicer neighborhood in Arizona the cost of living here is next to nothing when compared to New York. I have no reason to downsize and move to a less expensive and less desirable area. I'd have to be out of my mind to do so. Some people are forced to for any number of reasons one of which is spending beyond their means.

Quote:
https://reversemortgageguides.org/lp...=All%20Devices

www.rocketmortgage.com › learn › home-equity-loanHome Equity Loans: A Complete Guide | Rocket Mortgage
Feb 16, 2022 · Home equity loans aren’t the only way you can borrow against your home equity. You can also choose to get the money you need through a cash-out refinance. While home equity loans enable you to take out a second mortgage on your property, cash-out refinances replace your primary mortgage. Instead of obtaining a separate loan, the remaining balance of your primary mortgage is paid off and rolled into a new mortgage that has a new term and interest rate.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-06-2022 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-06-2022, 12:23 PM

267 posts, read 91,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Given that Western society is aging, don't you think it would be a great idea to collect higher tax rates on each childless person? And, say, have the "normal" rate once a person parents 2 children (so, no advantage for having too many children either).

There could be also an "adoption" route for those who is not capable to give birth.
They already do pay more (or get less deductions) in most cases. I do not like using taxes as a method to encourage having children at all.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:53 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,233,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Without people having kids your money would be near worthless once you are older as you need younger people to provide the goods and services for you to buy.
What are you even talking about?

People are always going to have kids, but those of us who don't should be paying less taxes than people who have kids but make the same amount of money but we pay a lot more. It's backwards.

Why would some people having less kids make my money worthless? That doesn't make any sense.
Tax me fairly and I'll have MORE money to pay for the services I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.