Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2022, 12:57 PM

131 posts, read 51,478 times

Advertisements

I think someone mentioned it, but the government already helps out parents in lots of ways. To name just one, they get tax credits childless people don't. I actually might not necessarily be opposed to some kind of bonus for having a family.

But right now, things like lack of affordable housing and debt are the main obstacles that prevent young people from starting families. Fix this first, then maybe we can talk about whether we need childless people to pay more.

Old 04-10-2022, 12:58 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton929 View Post
I think someone mentioned it, but the government already helps out parents in lots of ways. To name just one, they get tax credits childless people don't. I actually might not necessarily be opposed to some kind of bonus for having a family.

But right now, things like lack of affordable housing and debt are the main obstacles that prevent young people from starting families. Fix this first, then maybe we can talk about whether we need childless people to pay more.
Entertaining any such notion is a complete waste of time. Childless people should be paying less if anything.

Old 04-10-2022, 01:11 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton929 View Post

I know that parents can get tax breaks for their kids. For me, it's not enough of an incentive to have any kids.

Rising cost of housing, debt, it's part of why I don't want to have kids right now. I'm not going to think about having a child until I own my own house outright. No housing payments, just paid in full. Of course, those complaining about low birth rates won't address the rising cost of housing or other resources.

Old 04-10-2022, 01:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
People who never reproduced, or had ANY children should be 100% TAX EXEMPT. I don't want to pay for other peoples' kids. They mean nothing to me. Animals mean more to me than 'hoomins." By far.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:57 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyeverbodywants View Post
YES! Now, those that regularly get all of the FREE STUFF always have an incentive to vote for the politician who gives them the most.
As stated before, I receive food stamps, a reduced rate on electric and maybe on garbage and water (don't know about those two yet).

I have Medicare and Medicaid.

I am on SSDI so I don't pay taxes (except when I shop and buy gas) and I don't make enough to file a tax form in April.

I'd be more than happy to switch with anyone who makes $30,000 a year with no "freebies". I'd feel like I'd died and gone to heaven.

Are you volunteering?

Old 04-10-2022, 03:01 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
People who never reproduced, or had ANY children should be 100% TAX EXEMPT. I don't want to pay for other peoples' kids. They mean nothing to me. Animals mean more to me than 'hoomins." By far.
They will mean something to you in the future. Who do you think is going to be taking care of you when you get old? Who is going to be the police on the street keeping law and order, or be driving the trucks and stocking shelves at your local grocery store? Fixing electrical or plumbing issues when those things break???

Old 04-10-2022, 03:03 PM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Given that Western society is aging, don't you think it would be a great idea to collect higher tax rates on each childless person? And, say, have the "normal" rate once a person parents 2 children (so, no advantage for having too many children either).

There could be also an "adoption" route for those who is not capable to give birth.
Use less services, pay more money. That makes sense.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:05 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
They will mean something to you in the future. Who do you think is going to be taking care of you when you get old? Who is going to be the police on the street keeping law and order, or be driving the trucks and stocking shelves at your local grocery store? Fixing electrical or plumbing issues when those things break???
Personally, I don't know who will be taking care of me. I don't even know if I'll ever get married. I'm not saying "never". However, the older I get, the likelihood of me getting a girlfriend (and eventually a wife) is getting lower and lower. I don't know who will be the police when I get older. I don't know who will be doing what as I get older. I'm just think about the next 1-5 years. I'm busy trying to work and get as much money as I can.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:05 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
The robots that the "tax everything and everyone until it dies" crowd keeps screaming about?

I thought they were going to take all of our jobs anyway.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:25 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,697,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Well, that is true... But it's definitely very tiny amount compared to the costs of raising a child. So, maybe it should be shaped as higher tax rates for all with much bigger deduction for first 2 (or 3 children)... I don't know.

The European-Heritage Americans are slowly turning into a minority... Something needs to be done in order to reverse this trend, rather than bringing more immigrants from Mexico.
I just want to remind the thread what the real intention of this proposal is... to have childless adults of all backgrounds pay more in taxes in order to encourage white people to have more children.

Why should I, a child-free Hispanic male be forced to pay more taxes just so that "European-Heritage Americans" will have more kids? Exactly how is that going to benefit me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies