Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 11:26 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,043,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Well, if you don't like words "tax more childless people", how about "give a nice fat free check to mothers when their firstborn & second children are born"?

I hear what you're saying, not all people could be good parents. If anything like that is ever made (which is never the case for any of the CD discussion), it would be nice to exclude drug addicts and alcoholics from the program (on the basis of endangering future children's health), and it's ti be tied up to maintaining children well-being after the birth all the way into the adulthood.

USA wasted 1 trillion dollars on Afghanistan, it could print some money for the American women.
Why would any SINGLE sane person agree to pay for something they don't benefit from? Show Single people the benefits of paying taxes for someone else's child and maybe you can sell the idea.

OTH, ppl 'with kids' should pay MORE in Taxes (makes much more sense). PPL who spread their seed, create more of a BURDEN on society than those who don't go out and 'SPREAD THEIR MISTAKES' ~

You Capice?
(eh...probably not)

When-ever i hear the words 'Tax Someone'--- i know i'm taking to a Liberal~!

Old 04-19-2022, 11:49 AM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Sorry if I offended you, the discussion was supposed to be light.
Ok, let's say you don't want more taxes on yourself, but would you consider starting a family and having children sooner (assuming you were young and healthy) if your wife gets a nice check from government when your first child is born and you could buy a house with it?
I didn't like being assumed to be a hedonist for being childless. It isn't the correct assessment of me.

This is the thing. I have to first find the right woman to build a family with. I'm in my mid 30s. I really don't want to date anyone under 30. I don't want to date/marry a woman who already has kids (especially if those kids are quite young). I haven't found the right woman for me.

I have alot of standards. It sounds judgmental, but it is what it is. I hold myself to these standards, therefore I feel it's fair to hold a woman to those standards. I don't do tattoos or heavy drinking. I'm not going to have premarital sex.

If I'm going to be with someone, I want to be able to have a partner for whom WE can both impart certain values to our children. Waiting until you're married to have sex. Valuing God, family, education, etc. At the moment, I'm not ready to have children. I'm not in a position to raise children. However, here is the thing about marriage. Said woman and me need to be compatible. And the sad thing is, there are many women I'm not compatible with/who are not compatible with me.

Offering a check for having children isn't going to convince me to have children. There are certain morals and values that I was raised with, and a certain way of living that I'm used to.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:51 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Why would any SINGLE sane person agree to pay for something they don't benefit from? Show Single people the benefits of paying taxes for someone else's child and maybe you can sell the idea.

OTH, ppl 'with kids' should pay MORE in Taxes (makes much more sense). PPL who spread their seed, create more of a BURDEN on society than those who don't go out and 'SPREAD THEIR MISTAKES' ~

You Capice?
(eh...probably not)

When-ever i hear the words 'Tax Someone'--- i know i'm taking to a Liberal~!

I don't think any sane person to agree to any taxation. Yet, taxes are taken by the government at its discretion in a form of direct or indirect taxes as well as foreign loans and inflation.

I was not really talking here about increasing total level of taxation.

I am talking more about should society see the value of children to the society in general? You might think that children belong to the parents, yet it's future generations that will continue to work for this country when we get old. And they won't support only their parents, they will be taxed to provide for all old people. No?

Last edited by brrabbit; 04-19-2022 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-19-2022, 12:42 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Given that Western society is aging, don't you think it would be a great idea to collect higher tax rates on each childless person? And, say, have the "normal" rate once a person parents 2 children (so, no advantage for having too many children either).

There could be also an "adoption" route for those who is not capable to give birth.
No, why should a person who chooses not to procreate or adopt kids be penalized for it? In fact I think those who procreate in large numbers should pay higher taxes for doing so.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:56 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Should childless people pay higher taxes?

Why? Do childless people get more benefits from government?

Old 04-19-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Should childless people pay higher taxes?
Why? Do childless people get more benefits from government?
Will the childless person need pension when he gets old? Will he need any medical attention? Will he need to be protected by army and police? If we're talking about a family who have children, one can argue that it's their children who will continue to carry the burden, for a childless person that burden needs to be carried till death.... Our town have a volunteer fire department, imagine you would be required to perform fire department duties at young age of 90....

Old 04-19-2022, 02:25 PM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
I was not really talking here about increasing total level of taxation. One way or another taxation matches expenses, be it in a form of foreign debt, or inflation, or direct or indirect taxes. I would love as anyone else here to see total amount of taxes to be as low as possible, but this thread is not about that.

The idea behind my original post is that I believe women (and men) needs some real good incentive to start a family and have children, or American society will follow the fate of Rome. I don't think anyone wants children farms, so the money should be limited to number of children the family can responsibly raise, somewhere between 1 and 3, let's make it 2. The money should not be spent on drugs or alcohol, but probably it should be in a form of a forgivable loan with a list of reasons for what the money could be used.

And, as anything in CD, this is not a Congress, we are just entertaining ourselves here, please don't jump on me if you don't like something.
If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. You started this ridiculous topic and now you don't want criticism. Really?

Old 04-19-2022, 02:53 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
I was not really talking here about increasing total level of taxation. One way or another taxation matches expenses, be it in a form of foreign debt, or inflation, or direct or indirect taxes. I would love as anyone else here to see total amount of taxes to be as low as possible, but this thread is not about that.
Yea because government will just cut somewhere right?

Quote:
The idea behind my original post is that I believe women (and men) needs some real good incentive to start a family and have children, or American society will follow the fate of Rome. I don't think anyone wants children farms, so the money should be limited to number of children the family can responsibly raise, somewhere between 1 and 3, let's make it 2. The money should not be spent on drugs or alcohol, but probably it should be in a form of a forgivable loan with a list of reasons for what the money could be used.
And lets get government to run it because we all know how efficiently they spend our money and how well things turn out when they do. sarcasm x 1 million.

Quote:
And, as anything in CD, this is not a Congress, we are just entertaining ourselves here, please don't jump on me if you don't like something.
I'm jumping on your dumb idea and hope no one gives it any credibility.

Get rid of the government run welfare state which encourages birth parents to live separately causing the children to not get the needed guidance. Government did this. They ruined the family and you want them to be the ones in charge?

It's almost like you are being paid to come up with a dumb idea. And the more you post about it, the dumber your idea sounds.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:03 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
The idea behind my original post is that I believe women (and men) needs some real good incentive to start a family and have children, or American society will follow the fate of Rome. ..
Why is the underlined a bad thing?

Old 04-19-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Why is the underlined a bad thing?
Because Roman Empire collapsed and died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies