Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 06:36 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,895,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
From your article:

As myself and others keep saying, inflation is high because the economy is booming.

Demand-pull inflation

People are cutting back on spending. Go ask someone who lives in the real world and runs a business, instead of people that live in a bubble like obviously yourself.

I understand that the people who live like leaches off the tax payers are giddy with excitement. The sound of trillions of dollars falling from the sky from our helicopter money machines is music to their ears, since so much of it lands in their pocket. But I can assure them, the mood on the street is very different. Consumer confidence reports have not been rosy. I fully expect Jill Biden to stand up and tell the people to shut up and eat cake. That is how woefully out of touch the elites and government parasite class are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 07:06 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
People are cutting back on spending.
Um ... no, actually they aren't:

Old 04-05-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Um ... no, actually they aren't:

Is this an adjusted for inflation chart? In raw dollars, consumers are always going to pay more long term. The US dollar has lost 98% of it's value in the past 100 years. So of course they are going to spend more dollars to buy crap. That's how inflation works. Now if we had hyperinflation, your chart would be even more impressive! And real world people would be screaming in rage at the top of their lungs! And meanwhile, you would be here posting charts showing the economy was booming like never before... Unless a republican was president of course.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Is this an adjusted for inflation chart? In raw dollars, consumers are always going to pay more long term. The US dollar has lost 98% of it's value in the past 100 years.
No, but the inflation-adjusted one isn't much different:

Source: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RRSFS
Quote:
Units:
Millions of 1982-84 CPI Adjusted Dollars,
Seasonally Adjusted

Old 04-05-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
No, but the inflation-adjusted one isn't much different:

Source: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RRSFS

How can it not be much different when we are having near double digit inflation??? And realistically, most everyone knows the government lies about inflation and it is likely over 10%

These inflation numbers represent 40 year highs... And yet, they took factors like housing and education out of the equation, so they could under report inflation. And you eat this crap up for breakfast lunch and dinner. If you would like to believe inflation is only 7%, that's on you but don't expect the rest of us to take a whiff of Brandon's soiled depends and smile about it. Consumer confidence is in the toilet for a good reason, and there is very little confidence to be found anywhere in our current leadership. I hate to say it but pantsuit would have been a much better president than this clownshow.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:20 PM

899 posts, read 540,387 times
I'm well aware that the people defending Biden's spending are the same people who were saying inflation was only transitionary, and before that, inflation was a right wing bogeyman. I suppose they will always be defending Biden and the stimulus spending. No point arguing with them or pointing out the inconsistencies.

The mainstream suspects are now acknowledging inflation and the threats of a recession / economic correction down the road. The first of such articles are popping up in CNN/MSNBC etc. We've all see their pattern before, so are we surprised? Not really.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
How can it not be much different when we are having near double digit inflation???
The numbers don't lie. Retail sales are booming because the economy is booming - inflation and all. Many economists will tell you that rising inflation causes people to buy more, not less, because they're trying to buy things before the price goes even higher.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Many economists will tell you that rising inflation causes people to buy more, not less, because they're trying to buy things before the price goes even higher.
Here we go:

9 Common Effects of Inflation
Quote:
2. Encourages Spending, Investing

A predictable response to declining purchasing power is to buy now, rather than later. Cash will only lose value, so it is better to get your shopping out of the way and stock up on things that probably won't lose value.

For consumers, that means filling up gas tanks, stuffing the freezer, buying shoes in the next size up for the kids, and so on. For businesses, it means making capital investments that, under different circumstances, might be put off until later. Many investors buy gold and other precious metals when inflation takes hold, but these assets' volatility can cancel out the benefits of their insulation from price rises, especially in the short term. ...
So the spurt in retail sales actually makes perfect sense in context of the rise in inflation.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
The numbers don't lie. Retail sales are booming because the economy is booming - inflation and all. Many economists will tell you that rising inflation causes people to buy more, not less, because they're trying to buy things before the price goes even higher.

I don't give a crap what economists think. They are wrong all the time. I care about my country, and the standard of living that has given rise to an era of general shared prosperity and well being. I don't want a bunch of Marxist butt holes and their Trojan horse of a dementia patient messing all that up, but dims gonna make dim choices, as we have seen time and time again.

And if retail sales were so great, I wouldn't hear retail business folks screaming on the phone about sky high prices, shortages, and other things that were not happening as bad as when Trump was president. And guess what? All this crap is going to keep getting worse. China is still locking down major cities, including Shanghai, and Democrats insist we must remain dependent on them for damn near everything. But of course, in your upside down world, bad is good and good is bad.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:56 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,801,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Biden's? That's Trump's Handiwork.
lol...Take credit where it isn't warranted and cast blame for personal failure. I forget what number rule that is for dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies