Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 03:21 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

Biden's economists are humble and quiet because they have lots to be humble and quiet about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 03:25 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
From your article:

As myself and others keep saying, inflation is high because the economy is booming.

Demand-pull inflation
It's not booming, its responding to the "bullwhip effect" that was caused by gov't shutdowns during covid-19. The economy is surging after a massive dip. I learned about this in one of my my grad-level econ classes while studying to obtain my MBA:

https://www.bluecart.com/blog/bullwh...ect-definition

Old 04-05-2022, 03:25 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
From your article:

As myself and others keep saying, inflation is high because the economy is booming.

Demand-pull inflation
Booming?? Sure, if the federal government printing money and dumping trillions of dollars in deficit spending is what you think creates a 'booming economy.'

Biden's presidency has been a disaster for American consumers and workers.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:28 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
he sounds like the kruggster, minus the brilliant part.

Paul Krugman: Always Wrong, Never in Doubt

but to the kruggster's credit, he apparently didn't sign onto this garbage. maybe he wasn't invited.

IMO Krugman has a few problems.

A. He has a horrible case of "little man syndrome".......he's unhappy generally, hates successful people and seems to believe the poor and downtrodden are passive dupes who deserve wholesale life support from the success classes.

B. PK too is absolutely brilliant in the classroom sense. However, he's a Neo-Keynesian who seems recall all the liberal bits JMK ever mentioned but totally forgets the conservative bits.

C. PK was more or less fired from his Princeton teaching gig - I'm guessing he's on the outs with just about everyone except The NYT.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:31 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Booming?? Sure, if the federal government printing money and dumping trillions of dollars in deficit spending is what you think creates a 'booming economy.'

Biden's presidency has been a disaster for American consumers and workers.
It'll take years for this to settle into the average Joe's thinking but the bottom tier of wage earners saw their real net worths lurch to the upside under Trump and his tax plan(s).

The cadre's real net worth grew more under Trump than Clinton, Bush and Obama combined.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:32 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It's not booming, its responding to the "bullwhip effect" that was caused by gov't shutdowns during covid-19. The economy is surging after a massive dip. I learned about this in one of my my grad-level econ classes while studying to obtain my MBA:

Your link doesn't quite describe what you're saying it does, but I'll humor you. If you insist on your bullwhip thesis, I can easily claim that it is your bullwhip phenomenon that is responsible for the inflation, not Biden's policies.

That said, it wasn't necessary that the economy rebounded so quickly after the Covid shutdowns. Especially given there were a couple additional waves of Covid after the first one, it could have been another slow recovery. In another couple threads I've given links with studies claiming that's exactly what would have happened. But because of all the stimulus, we got a much faster recovery.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:34 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

The US economy and the employment market is simply trying to catch up to where we were before the senseless COVID lockdowns, which destroyed everything. Millions upon millions of jobs and thousands of mom and pop businesses were lost. And yet the politicians except us to applaud them for the people working to try and recover from it.

This is akin to the government causing entire city blocks of homes to be burned to the ground. Then these same politicians expect to be given credit for all the new home construction and restoration that follows, because the people are trying to put their lives back together.

Last edited by Wapasha; 04-05-2022 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-05-2022, 06:07 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Buying with zero interest money... I like that now. just got a Home Depot 24 month ($1999.00) 0% interest. I've got a few projects in mind.

People are spending money. Business is booming in FL. The state has a BIG surplus of $4,000,000,000 that's right, 4 Billion! How long did Obama claim the Trump economy was really his? You know the magic wand thingy.

The economy was pent up like a dam...

Old 04-05-2022, 06:20 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Biden’s Covid relief plan PPP has now become the biggest fraud scheme in our country’s history
Hundreds of billions tapped by both domestic and international fraudsters due to government incompetence.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...n-ppp-n1279664

There was no accounting of where the money went.
Biden's? That's Trump's Handiwork.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:27 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Did anyone actually read the letter? How were they "dead wrong", it indicates easement of long term inflationary pressures. The economy is doing extremely well but in the short term there is inflation mostly because of supply chain issues and a war.

It was written back in September, just a few things happened since then.

Quote:
While we all have different views on the particulars of various economic policies, we believe that key components of this broader agenda are critical—including tax reforms that make our tax system more equitable and that enable our system to raise the additional funds required to facilitate necessary public investments and achieve our collective goals. Because this agenda invests in long-term economic capacity and will enhance the ability of more Americans to participate productively in the economy, it will ease longer-term inflationary pressures.
https://www.epi.org/open-letter-from...covery-agenda/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies