Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 09:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Have you ever heard of or seen a creation called a city Bus? You can buy big foldable grocery carts that fit easily into a bus. I have one. Mine has 2 big wheels, holds 80 lbs. of groceries, and I'm 3 blocks to a major grocery store and 2 blocks to Trader Joe's.
Food deserts are very real. Many communities do not have great public transportation systems to provide convenient access to the one grocery store.

https://www.aecf.org/blog/exploring-...s-food-deserts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 09:58 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I have not seen one in 11 years in TX/OK. The city farmers market is a hoax. Muffins in zip locks, eggs 5/12, ...
Charleston SC has great markets downtown and in most of the communities. The vendors are some hipsters giving us some home made pasta with some fancy butter but they also include many of our most beloved local farms that have been providing our communities with seasonal produce for years.

Those same farmers may have roadside stands near their farms as well but no need to drive 45 minutes to get to them when they are there at my weekly market selling me fresh butter beans, okra, you name it they got it...that is five minutes from my house.

I usually stop in at the dock for some local catch. My fish monger has expanded and may have product not found off the South Carolina coast but he works with fisherman all along the coast to make sure we get the freshest product.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:05 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You don't go to farmer markets for locally grown. Go drive the country roads..buy off the back of a truck or a farmstand.
Around here in VT, some farms have their own farm stands closer in to the more populated areas. Plus most nearby farmers sell at the farmers markets. They get a lot more customers by coming in from the boonies to sell where there are more people. I would have to spend a lot of gas to go looking for roadside farmstands.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:06 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
The Amish have two markets within 15 minutes of my house. They grow all that they sell. They are cheaper than the farmer's market because most selling at the farmer's market, buy from the Amish. My wife ran the local farmer's market for 5 years as a volunteer.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:09 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Amish have two markets within 15 minutes of my house. They grow all that they sell. They are cheaper than the farmer's market because most selling at the farmer's market, buy from the Amish. My wife ran the local farmer's market for 5 years as a volunteer.
I once lived near an Amish market. The best, freshest food ever. And free of fertilizer chemicals and hormones. Their chicken actually tasted cleaner than supermarket chicken.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I have not seen one in 11 years in TX/OK. The city farmers market is a hoax. Muffins in zip locks, eggs 5/12, ...
What are you talking about? My town for years has held a farmers market every Sat. and on Wed, too, during the warmer months. As I recall out in the country, farmers may sell watermelons and other stuff from the back of their pickups at the corner of Highway 18 and 51.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:37 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What are you talking about? My town for years has held a farmers market every Sat. and on Wed, too, during the warmer months. As I recall out in the country, farmers may sell watermelons and other stuff from the back of their pickups at the corner of Highway 18 and 51.
I've gotten some of the best fruit off the back of a truck as well as ears of corn when I lived in Texas.
Now in SC I've gotten watermelon,strawberries and peaches off the back of a truck.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:16 PM

398 posts, read 206,090 times
Every year, the U.S. "grows" 13 billion gallons of an American-made fuel — ethanol — and consumes some 40% of the nation's corn crop in the process (as well as about three gallons of water for every gallon of fuel produced), according to the Food Agriculture Policy Research Institute.

Stop the Ethanol Madness
The mainstay of the Renewable Fuel Standard is an unmistakable social and environmental failure. Why does it persist?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ken-us/602191/

Old 05-20-2022, 03:06 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...od-catastrophe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies