Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 07:29 AM

1,073 posts, read 621,930 times

Advertisements

From the New York Times. Interesting article. Below is a quote with the link. As a devout Christian myself I was actually turned off by the behavior of my fellow believers during the Trump years. Perhaps I'm in the minority. I personally believe this movement is being way too far tied to the far right political movement and I don't necessarily agree with it. For the "brothers" that were arrested after their actions on January 6th my prayer for them is to see the injustice and pain (including death) that was caused that day and lets get back to loving people as our Savior commanded.

At a Trump rally in Michigan last weekend, a local evangelist offered a prayer that stated, “Father in heaven, we firmly believe that Donald Trump is the current and true president of the United States.” He prayed “in Jesus’ name” that precinct delegates at the upcoming Michigan Republican Party convention would support Trump-endorsed candidates, whose names he listed to the crowd."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/growing-r...185710352.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 07:57 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
From the New York Times. Interesting article. Below is a quote with the link. As a devout Christian myself I was actually turned off by the behavior of my fellow believers during the Trump years. Perhaps I'm in the minority. I personally believe this movement is being way too far tied to the far right political movement and I don't necessarily agree with it. For the "brothers" that were arrested after their actions on January 6th my prayer for them is to see the injustice and pain (including death) that was caused that day and lets get back to loving people as our Savior commanded.

At a Trump rally in Michigan last weekend, a local evangelist offered a prayer that stated, “Father in heaven, we firmly believe that Donald Trump is the current and true president of the United States.” He prayed “in Jesus’ name” that precinct delegates at the upcoming Michigan Republican Party convention would support Trump-endorsed candidates, whose names he listed to the crowd."

While I can appreciate your views, as a believer I am personally turned off by those who say they are believers supporting candidates who back abortion on demand policies as one example. For many people, this is reason enough to back a certain candidate.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:01 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post

Nothing new here. This has been going on since the 1980s, if not before.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Ive been ranting and raving here on C/D a long time now, about how 'the Church' still has considerable power and influence in govt today.

With aggressive enforcement of Prostitution, drug laws today...its not hard to see this.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:07 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
It's interesting... black folk and Democrats can use God and preach politics at church, and it's fine.

White Republicans can worship God and include politics and it's a threat.

Pretty typical take for the left and mainstream media outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive been ranting and raving here on C/D a long time now, about how 'the Church' still has considerable power and influence in govt today.

With aggressive enforcement of Prostitution, drug laws today...its not hard to see this.
Actually we have aggressive enforcement of those who are anti-vaccine, and anti-critical race theory, and those prone to certain (not all) insurrections. The border is porous with drugs flowing in and drug overdose deaths at record highs. Are you not paying attention?

Old 04-07-2022, 08:16 AM

13,946 posts, read 5,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's interesting... black folk and Democrats can use God and preach politics at church, and it's fine.

One of the top five all time examples of how the EXACT SAME THING can be 100% good or 100% evil depending on which party is doing it.

Since the advent of TV and mass media, did you know the President with the highest total number of images of him carrying a Bible and/or being in/near a church was Bill Clinton? True fact. Yet at no point in his 8 years as President were we warned about his impending "theocracy."

Old 04-07-2022, 08:23 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,396,584 times
Born again or woke hard to say which is worse.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:35 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower1996 View Post

The Bible Belt is the home turf of the opioid epidemic. Look at what's left of West Virginia. We could mention the role played by white pharmaceutical CEOs in bringing that about, but that might be inconvenient to your narrative.
I don't have a narrative.

Opioid, fentanyl is a problem everywhere. Plenty of people have drug issues.

The term "Bible belt" means nothing to me. Everyone has problems. Unbelievers actually do reside in the "Bible belt". Some Christians do have struggles with drugs and other vices. God only is perfect.

I actually think the elites (WE Forum types) are killing folk off with the easy access to drugs as part of their depopulation platform. China manufactures fentanyl. Afghanistan is the main source of opioids. Easy access through the southern border for the drugs to be let in. Very anti-humane stuff taking place.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:44 AM

1,073 posts, read 621,930 times
Quote:

Actually we have aggressive enforcement of those who are anti-vaccine, and anti-critical race theory, and those prone to certain (not all) insurrections. The border is porous with drugs flowing in and drug overdose deaths at record highs. Are you not paying attention?
Did the article I post imply there was a threat here? I'm not sure I'm following. I think they were just reporting the story of how some evangelicals are mixing far right politics in with their religious beliefs.

IMO, politics should not be talked at church or the church should lose the tax exemption. Churches should be open to all people: black, white, democrats and republicans.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:

Yep I am, but at the same time, law enforcement all over the country are AGGRESSIVELY enforcing drug laws, they are serving warrants and kicking in doors in the wee hours of the morning!...a cop pulls someone over for a traffic stop and they find illegal prescription drugs...they take this VERY VERY seriously, should I continue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies