Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Left coast liberals tend to be paranoid control freaks with ultrasocial tendencies. All of which fits well with the 'libertarian' political pseudo-philosophy.
Sorry just couldnt resist changing your post to something more truthful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 01:43 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Never shoot for the legs or the head.
to small a target.
Go for the chest and then to the groin.
The groin shot will not kill instantly but the round will bust the pelvic cage and will in all likelyhood take out a artery.
Cop training here coupled with 25 years on the street, One cut throat and one shot up leg.
Sigh.................Its easy to talk about winning a gun fight quiet another to do it.
Thats what my cop friends always told me. My Uncle was career Army CID, he told me to get hollow points.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:12 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
All I can say is that this thread caused me to rethink my position.

I've learned from TK that since I have been in quite a few fights that I must have developed magical ninja powers like he has (despite much evidence to the contrary and my experiences in actual fights that have told me that they don't always go the way you'd like them to) which will make be able to disarmed a jittery or murderous armed opponent because I'm just such a badass.

Also, rlchurch has helped me out to in both on this subject and on arguing in general. I've always believed that issues are complex and multi-layered that involve extensive delving into evidence, examination of facts, and rigorous application of logic to have any hope of understanding the issue at hand. He has swayed me by convincing me that only simplistic dismissals of opposing views and select use of statistics are the way to go. It's easy because only what you deem worthy is accepted and you get to assign the weight of any evidence.

rlchurch has helped me by realizing that the world is not a vast and complex place. The best way of understanding the world is to look at in the most local terms as possible, preferably not straying past your own neighborhood. For example, let's say I live in a city with some of the highest violent crime rates in the nation, well my neighborhood is okay so my city doesn't have a problem. Let's say my city has enacted gun control measures and has seen a drop in crime, I can ignore that virtually the entire country has seen drops in crime mostly tied to economic improvement and increased hiring of police officers regardless of gun control policies, that doesn't matter because that would require looking at the world outside of my own little bubble.

While my worldview is ultimately rather provincial and rather closed-minded, I will still refer to all others as uncivilized. And I will get away with it too because to be proven wrong will mean I will have look at the world outside of my immediate surroundings and that is too scary.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:11 AM

358 posts, read 518,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Victim Surprises, Stabs Attacker During Random Home Invasion - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/16347780/detail.html - broken link)

One more story of an innocent person, minding his own business in his home and a criminal pushes in, the homeowner takes charge and stabbs the criminal.

This should be a wake up call, all these stories should be a wake up call. Fear the homeowner, fear the businessowner. People are tired of not feeling safe at home. I am one of them.

I resent feeling as if I have to sleep with a gun in my bedside table but it is what it is.

The story in this link is only about 15 minutes from my home, down I'4.

How many people committing crimes like this have to be injured and killed before these brain donors get the idea?

If you have a similar story in your area, add the link. It will be interesting to see the different circumstances.

he stabbed the crook???

he should have put 3 rounds into the crooks chest instead, less chance they will live and then we dont have to worry about paying for a trial and prison sentence.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
All I can say is WRONG. Thank God the rest of the country agrees with me.
Hum........no the rest of the country doesnt,,,,,,,

Old 05-24-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
All I can say is WRONG. Thank God the rest of the country agrees with me.

I dont agree with you, I think that there should be NO gun laws at all.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Thats what my cop friends always told me. My Uncle was career Army CID, he told me to get hollow points.
Hollow points yes.....There is nothing wrong with him that 158 grains of hot lead wont solve...

There is no time for macho bullcrap. They come down quick. No plucking or strutting.
No step out on main street crap.
Your eyeball to eyeball litterly........
Imagine looking at a man ten feet from you...........your eyes are locked.........he exudes anger, fear, hate, ...........and you know , instinctively that the angel of death has just descended.
Nothing else matters..... not who is right or wrong....no silly assed arguments about who is the next president, Bill or who ever..........
You see the hand coming up.......you see the gun.....you realize this it................. Your vision narrows .....you heart beats faster and faster ...your weapon comes up.....you don't hear the weapons go off...........then you hear some loud explosions.............several...............you think you only pull the trigger twice............you find out latter you fired 5 times............You realize the angel of death has landed but not on you.............in slow motion the human being who was full of hate and fear and rage, begins to crumple .....its like slow motion or watching a tree fall over.......you hear in the distance a metallic clunk as his gun hits the ground..........Your still watching his eyes as he falls and you see the life go from them...........you hear his last gasp for air.....................and you realize you have just committed a mortal sin..........violated one of the ten commandments........... and you know you will get to see your wife and children again...........you have a fresh lease on life.......

Just truly ask your self............how many of you arm chair commandos can do that.............?????and not mess your self.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:30 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Default Defending your home and your family

Everyone should understand that defending themselves, their family, and their property is a personal responsibility. The police will not be there when you need them. They'll investigate after the criminal has had his way and gone on to the next victim.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Everyone should understand that defending themselves, their family, and their property is a personal responsibility. The police will not be there when you need them. They'll investigate after the criminal has had his way and gone on to the next victim.

remember, even if you call 911, the police do not even have to show up. that does not mean they wont, but they have no obligation to show up at all.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:50 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
remember, even if you call 911, the police do not even have to show up. that does not mean they wont, but they have no obligation to show up at all.
One of my brothers is a deputy sherriff. I've had the "personal protection" discussion with him several times. The cops will certainly take action if they happen to be there when a crime occurs. Criminals have a way of ensuring that doesn't happen except in very rare chance circumstances, though.

Law abiding citizens are well advised to take steps to ensure their own safety. Wouldn't it be nice if the the streets were dangerous for the criminals instead of the citizenry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies