Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 06:01 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm sure the media does make it seem worse than it is.

Well, Lexis-Nexis says 1,005 in Louisiana in 2004, and we had about 4,000,000 citizens, I believe. The database doesn't seem to want me to post this unless I took a screenshot, which I guess is in violation or something or other. Anyway, my point is that that stills seems higher than what you're saying, and I imagine it is higher since Katrina, but I haven't seen anything recent enough to address that. Where did you find your statistics?
I'd be interested in your source. I can't find any law enforcement group that tracks home invasions. I can believe almost anything about New Orleans these days. It was so devastated by Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 06:04 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
That's what the gun nuts say, but his research was peer reviewed using industry standard epidemiological techniques. No NRA gun nut ever refuted his findings and conclusion in a peer reviewed journal. That actually why I didn't bother to post his work. You have a closed mind, and I suspect lack the education to understand the research.
Incorrect. Dr. Suter, a very competent doctor and researcher, did debunk his work. Are you saying, for example, that the small sample of the U.S. population that Kellermann used is adequate to make the conclusions and generalizations he made?

I may not be a medical doctor but I do have a B.S. in history, so I'm more than able to tear apart others' research to shreds when it doesn't measure up...I've done so several times.

And as a side note, I find it interesting how much more frequently anti-gun debaters resort to ad hominum attacks than pro-gun debaters. I've seen this pattern elsewhere too, FWIW.

Last edited by arctichomesteader; 05-24-2008 at 06:24 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Actually, I don't think is does depend. It's so minor that the police don't track it as a separate crime. It scares people so it's my belief that home invasions get extensive news coverage, which affects people's perceptions. It appears in the District of Columbia that we have 1-2 per year. So 730 per 100,000 is way too high. That would be close to 2 million per year nationwide and about 3500 in the District of Columbia. 2 million home invasions is more than the total violent crime in the United States per year.
Perhaps the media does scare people, but perhaps also the police don't keep stats on these in order to not scare people themselves.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:06 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
I'd be interested in your source. I can't find any law enforcement group that tracks home invasions. I can believe almost anything about New Orleans these days. It was so devastated by Katrina.
I found U.S. Census Bureau statistics on the Lexis-Nexis Statistics database. As far as I know, I wouldn't have access to it if it weren't for my university ID.

EDIT: I shouldn't say that because that particular information can probably be found anywhere. I don't know much about looking up statistics because they don't generally have us do anything quite that reality-based in English graduate programs.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:06 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
That sounds bogus to me. Law-abiding gun owners have been shown repeatedly to not be a problem. Try these findings on for size:

States Reconsider Limits On Law-Abiding Gun Owners -- 01/15/2003 (broken link)

According to data from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports, the violent crime rate in the U.S. has dropped every year since 1991 and hit a 23-year low in 2002. In that same period, 17 states added CCW laws and 13 states eliminated some restrictions from existing CCW laws.

States with CCW laws experienced lower violent crime rates without exception.

On average violent crime was 24 percent lower; there were 22 percent fewer murders, 37 percent fewer robberies and 20 percent fewer aggravated assaults than in states that do not issue CCW permits.
Violent crime has dropped in NEW York and Washington where guns are severely limited. What sound's "bogus" to you is clearly not closely related to reality. That's why we use careful studies on which to base our findings.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Violent crime has dropped in NEW York and Washington where guns are severely limited. What sound's "bogus" to you is clearly not closely related to reality. That's why we use careful studies on which to base our findings.
Incorrect. In DC it has gone up since the 1976 handgun ban (and the other restrictions on long guns). From 1976 to 1991 DC's murder rate rose 200 percent, while the U.S. average was an increase of 9 percent in that time.

NRA-ILA :: Fact Sheets (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=72 - broken link)

Old 05-24-2008, 07:06 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
Quote:
LOL you and Greatday who shoots thousands of people dead with his trusty six shooter.
Better include me with those other two.
1 tour in nam Infantry not base poggie.
25 years as a cop.
Ive capped a few...................

Old 05-24-2008, 07:16 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,155,879 times
You may not want a gun in your home which I can live with but don't try and restrict my right to protect my family. My home, my gun, my family.

Every animal has the natural right to protect themselves.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:28 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
I wonder in the statistics if, for instance, a robbery in which a person broke into another person's home and robbed the homeowner...would be simply listed as a "robbery". i.e. perhaps a given "incident" has to have one category--in this case, the primary one would be robbery--in which case it wouldn't be listed as a home invasion even though a person's home was most certainly invaded.

Or is a home invasion something different...a whole crime unto itself? We've had home invasions here in NJ; one in particular comes to mind where the thugs broke into the home, robbed, raped and killed the women and burned the house; I believe the man of the house lived. Perhaps in statistics, that would have been classified as a "murder" even though many other crimes were committed in the process.

As I've mentioned before, if breaking into someone's home when there are people at home, is a "home invasion" I find it hard to believe that they're considered to be a "non issue" in DC!

Old 05-25-2008, 05:31 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
As concerns the accidental shooting issue involving "children", in fact, gun-related deaths are far behind many other causes, including drownings and burns.

Here is a good link and excerpt:

Contrary to what some would like you to believe, according to the latest US Government data, in 1997, the leading causes of accidental deaths for children under the age of 14 was not firearms, in fact, accidental firearms deaths were a distant fifth behind Motor Vehicle deaths, drowning, and burns. There were more than 13 times as many Motor Vehicle deaths as accidental shootings; more than three times as many were victims of drowning as were accidentally shot, and more than twice as many succumbed to death by burns as did accidental shootings. Where is the outcry for pool security? Why are more people not concerned about fires? (See chart for details)

97Truth.htm (http://www.discountgunmart.com/97truth.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies