Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Sorry again bucko, had a gun around me my whole life and My "intimate partner" wife of 38 years is still a kickin.............
As Jack Palance said to Billy Crystal, "Day ain't over yet"

I don't keep a functional weapon in my house or on my person in downtown Washington dc and have never been mugged, robbed or assault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Thats cool but you dont need fancy studies to discover a 300% higher murder rate in DC compared to cities nearby without your laws. Its simply immoral to deny people a right to defense because someone else might commit a crime.
You check Baltimore?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
As Jack Palance said to Billy Crystal, "Day ain't over yet"

I don't keep a functional weapon in my house or on my person in downtown Washington dc and have never been mugged, robbed or assault.

Good for you!

Many others are not so fortunate. Many others yet prefer to be prepared to deal with a criminal assault. For some reason you seem to be on the ciminals' side. Why is that? What objection do you have to others carrying a firearm for self protection? What evidence can you post that will support your opinion?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Good for you!

Many others are not so fortunate. Many others yet prefer to be prepared to deal with a criminal assault. For some reason you seem to be on the ciminals' side. Why is that? What objection do you have to others carrying a firearm for self protection? What evidence can you post that will support your opinion?
I am prepared. That's why I've never been robbed, assaulted or mugged. I recognize that you may "feel safer" if you're "packing" but there are no credible data to support that "feeling." I make decision about safety on factual data, not emotion.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
I am prepared. That's why I've never been robbed, assaulted or mugged. I recognize that you may "feel safer" if you're "packing" but there are no credible data to support that "feeling." I make decision about safety on factual data, not emotion.
What factual information might that be? Perhaps you would be willing to share this with the rest of us.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Use Florida for example, 23 percent reduction in muders in the years following their shall-issue concealed carry law in 1987, while in the same years the national average had gone up 9 percent. And FL isn't the only such state. It's a national trend, crime goes down in states with easily obtainable concealed carry.

NRA-ILA :: Fact Sheets (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=18 - broken link)

Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What factual information might that be? Perhaps you would be willing to share this with the rest of us.
Asked and answered numerous times.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 AM

196 posts, read 208,404 times
well, this happened over in Gainesville Florida the other day, heres the link:

The Independent Florida Alligator: News - Police release sketch of man who assaulted Haile jogger

guess there might be some that will say "oh man, she asked for it at that time of day"....personally, I dont know anymore, seems some people make it easy for themselves to become victims, but nobody ever ASKS to be hurt...I think being armed if perfectly ok tho, and devices to protect women should be sold in discount stores even...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Incorrect. Use Florida for example, 23 percent reduction in muders in the years following their shall-issue concealed carry law in 1987, while in the same years the national average had gone up 9 percent. And FL isn't the only such state. It's a national trend, crime goes down in states with easily obtainable concealed carry.

NRA-ILA :: Fact Sheets (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=18 - broken link)
Reduction?

Florida Murders by Firearm:

1985 553
1986 628
1987 697 Law Chaged
1988 -- (missing data)
1989 888
1990 873
1991 806
1992 789
1993 800
1994 739

Source: Florida Department of Law Enforcement

Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
The people who write gun control laws don't even know what they're banning; here's Rep. McCarthy's classic "shoulder thing that goes up" example (she admits she doesn't even know what it is she wants to ban with her bill):
YouTube - Carolyn McCarthy doesn't know what a Barrel Shroud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies