Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Nonsense the community has the right to set rules and regulation for the common good. There are enough other places to live in the country that if you object to the public safety and health laws of a community you can move to another or live in unincorporated areas.

Theres enough countries to live in if you dont like the constitution too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Many? Only for weapons with no conceivable legitimate civilian use like assault weapons, machine guns, nuclear bombs, poison gas, etc.
Yeah sure. So all semi auto rifles are assault weapons? They are acording to some legislation being proposed. Where do you come up with this garbage, nukes, poison gas?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Victim Surprises, Stabs Attacker During Random Home Invasion - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/16347780/detail.html - broken link)

One more story of an innocent person, minding his own business in his home and a criminal pushes in, the homeowner takes charge and stabbs the criminal.

This should be a wake up call, all these stories should be a wake up call. Fear the homeowner, fear the businessowner. People are tired of not feeling safe at home. I am one of them.

I resent feeling as if I have to sleep with a gun in my bedside table but it is what it is.

The story in this link is only about 15 minutes from my home, down I'4.

How many people committing crimes like this have to be injured and killed before these brain donors get the idea?

If you have a similar story in your area, add the link. It will be interesting to see the different circumstances.
I think not having a means of self defense is not real bright.
Theres not many times I could be surprised that I dont have a surprise for the surpriser.

Anyway a 12 gage is excellent intruder medicine. Its smart to let your legislators & other govt officials know you feel this way too. Otherwise those who disagree & make their feelings known will not be the only voices heard. Its a slippery slope that leads to gun bans like in DC & other crime ridden cesspools. Once they happen people fail to notice that they dont effect crime & call for more & more in vain hopes of saftey, when in truth they let their saftey be taken away.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
Quote:
Many? Only for weapons with no conceivable legitimate civilian use like assault weapons, machine guns, nuclear bombs, poison gas, etc.
small arms,personal arms.I beg to differ on "legitimate use",I take my AR-15's,AK's,M14's to the range often and legitatmately use them for some legitimate fun.Thousands of other owners would say the same.

In fact the AR-15 and M14 are used widely in competition matches.

And as far as "assault",anti's have used propaganda and misuse of language to define to the unknowing public.For instance there is no such thing as a "assault pistol",the anti's made that slur up to combine firarms they didn't like into being "mean 'ol black evil lookin'" guns.

Put a scope on a hunting rifle and they'll twist it into being a "sniper" rifle.So this agenda is not about saving lives or stopping crime,it's about a crusade they have chosen and about control over people.

Same about a "Saturday night special".Pick a gun that is not expensive,brand it a slur and prevent poor people who may need it most from defending themselves.

The Clintons,some Republicans and the Hollywood elite proved during their reign in the 90's that facts mean nothing to them and that they will use any slur,any tactic to pull the BS over on the public.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Hmm, then why the 2/3's lower murder rate?

You might be more likely struck by lightening that get burglarized, but your ALOT more likely to get murdered just because of your gun laws than either one.
Demographics.

I'm living proof that you're wrong.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You have every right to make this decision for yourself as long as you don't support politicians who would take away the choice to own a weapon from others.

Criminals often case a 'hood they don't live in though for more bountiful pickings.

And some people have limited choice to where they can live.
I support intelligent gun regulation, (background checks, mental checks, etc.) but if paranoid people want to arm their homes, I could care less. My father never had a gun in our house growing up, and I've never owned one. I just don't see the point and I've never needed one. I was in the military, so I'm not afraid of guns - I just find no sense of security in owning one and don't understand the sporting aspect of them. To each his own.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Theres enough countries to live in if you dont like the constitution too.
I'm fine with this country and our current interpretation of the Constitution. We in the civilized East place more restrictions on firearms than the western states and that's fine with the Constitutional scholars.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah sure. So all semi auto rifles are assault weapons? They are acording to some legislation being proposed. Where do you come up with this garbage, nukes, poison gas?
I wouldn't consider all semiautomatic rifles assault weapons, but back when I hunted real men used bolt action rifles. If you needed more than that, you should spend more time at the range.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't consider all semiautomatic rifles assault weapons, but back when I hunted real men used bolt action rifles. If you needed more than that, you should spend more time at the range.
oh c'mon.Need is subjective.Intent is what matters.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I support intelligent gun regulation, (background checks, mental checks, etc.) but if paranoid people want to arm their homes, I could care less. My father never had a gun in our house growing up, and I've never owned one. I just don't see the point and I've never needed one. I was in the military, so I'm not afraid of guns - I just find no sense of security in owning one and don't understand the sporting aspect of them. To each his own.
I have been to the range a few times shooting next to a ex military or cop who were not very good shots yet saw a civilian out shoot them.

Some military or cops only know enough for what they were taught to qualify.Some depending on their MOS never handle a weapon pass basic.

So the argument that only "trained military and police" should be able to have a weapon is not right.

On the flip though there are civilians who are irresponsible and military and cops who are very trained.It goes both ways.

But the most dangerous of all is preventing people from access to training or weapons,it leaves them defenseless and untrained in handling and safety.

As far as security,there is no assurance a gun will save you,but often it can.There certainly is no assurance that calling 911 will save you in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies