Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
oh c'mon.Need is subjective.Intent is what matters.
Actually you're more like my niece who can't always distinguish the difference between Need and Want.

Private citizen's don't need guns for self defense. Many want guns. Sometime the adults have to step in and set the ground rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:55 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
In case you hadn't noticed, the ground rules were set long ago.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:02 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'm fine with this country and our current interpretation of the Constitution. We in the civilized East place more restrictions on firearms than the western states and that's fine with the Constitutional scholars.
Really!

Quote:
Q. What are the Gun Laws in Vermont?

State Requirements

Rifles and Shotguns

Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.
Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.
Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.
Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No.

Handguns

Permit to purchase handgun? No.
Registration of handguns? No.
Licensing of owners of handguns? No.
Permit to carry handguns? No.

Other Requirements

Is there a State waiting period? No.
Is there a FBI *NICS check for firearm transactions? No. State system.
Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? No.
Record of sale: Yes.
*NICS - National Instant Check System
What are the Gun Laws in Vermont?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
In case you hadn't noticed, the ground rules were set long ago.
1976 in the District.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Is Vermont a state or did it secede? Regardless it doesn't qualify as being within the boundaries of civilization.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 AM

290 posts, read 523,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I really hope no one interprets this as my claiming someone deserved such a thing, because I do not believe that at all, but...reading the article, I have to say that I don't understand why people still open their doors when people they don't know knock.
I hope the next time I have car problems or other emergency, the person will open the door for me. This case is more likely than a home intruder. I wouldn't mind if she holds a gun on me while I call for help. Locking your doors isolates you. If you are armed, you are free to act as you wish without fear. That's the whole point. In fact you don't have to be armed. Just the chance that you might be armed keeps crime down.
Quote:
We keep a plate of cookies by the door, but then the District of Columbia probably has 1-2 home invasions per year, so I worry more about lightning strikes.
You say "probably" because you can't reference it. You are pretty good about asking for a reference or posting links when your argument is strong. Your cop out on this one is pretty revealing.

Quote:
Actually you're more like my niece who can't always distinguish the difference between Need and Want.

Private citizen's don't need guns for self defense. Many want guns. Sometime the adults have to step in and set the ground rules.
Thank you for showing the true liberal mindset. "Government is like your parents who know better than you what is right." It might feel better to limit guns, but statistics show that that is the exact opposite of the right policy and God help us if "government" starts agreeing with you, because it would be another example of government doing the feel good thing to appease the masses when the results of the policy ironically are the opposite of those desired.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Private citizen's don't need guns for self defense.
The above is merely your opinion.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by rlchurch
We keep a plate of cookies by the door, but then the District of Columbia probably has 1-2 home invasions per year, so I worry more about lightning strikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
You say "probably" because you can't reference it. You are pretty good about asking for a reference or posting links when your argument is strong. Your cop out on this one is pretty revealing.
I say "probably" because the crime is so rare the police don't track it as a separate crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
Thank you for showing the true liberal mindset. "Government is like your parents who know better than you what is right." It might feel better to limit guns, but statistics show that that is the exact opposite of the right policy and God help us if "government" starts agreeing with you, because it would be another example of government doing the feel good thing to appease the masses when the results of the policy ironically are the opposite of those desired.
Unfortunately age doesn't always bring maturity and wisdom. In those cases the community at large acting through the government has to set the rules. If you don't like it you can live in some other community.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Is Vermont a state or did it secede? Regardless it doesn't qualify as being within the boundaries of civilization.
Your post said "The East" with no qualificatons.

Last I saw, Vermont was in "the east"

Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
It seems that only those who agree with you are civilized. I imagine that you smirk a lot and talk with your eyes closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies