Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 12:37 PM

11,932 posts, read 6,520,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Your new Governor, and LT Governor, are awesome...I wish them all the success in the world for chosing kids education over politics. Thanks for sharing that some are fighting for these students right to succeed.
Can’t rep you again.
Youngkin is also exposing the lies on the left that there’s no CRT being taught in VA schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 12:49 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,901,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Sounds like you are talking about republicans.
He is likely speaking about both parties. Both have been captured by dysfunctional neoliberal ideological notions & magical thinking, it’s disheartening.

Although disheartening, personally I’m not giving up hope. Rational folks tend to agree once they get past the histrionics.

Old 04-09-2022, 01:52 PM

29,466 posts, read 16,443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Most charters are free of cost.

Many charter schools don't have a wait list.

Also the point still stands. Republicans stand for choice. For creating more charter schools to give more choice and more opportunities.
We have talked about this before so there is no need for you to answer with half truths .

You can just say " we agree to disagree but since other people haven't seen out previous conversations z, let me clarify

Specifically to Michigan, Charters do not have to provide public Transportation for students , not do they have to provide both lunch and breakfast( just lunch) , they don't have to provide extra curricular activities , test prep , tutors , remedial classes , and a whole lot more .

Lastly , saying you support choice, but not transportation for it is like saying you support gun ownership, but that ammo should be so strictly monitored that only a few can get around the red tape and get it .

Old 04-09-2022, 05:08 PM

25,468 posts, read 12,580,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
So better to leave EVERYONE who can't afford to move to a prime area in a failing school.

There's no such thing as an "underfunded" school. Money has NEVER been an issue. There's too much money in failing schools. A school that can't even teach high schoolers to read at an 8th grade level or do basic mathematics doesn't deserve to exist.
Wasnt a high school like that in the news a few years ago? Like 10% of the sudents could read at the high school level? Maybe it was in Philly..I dont recall.

I say turn that school into a Amazon Distribution Center, and pull every educators teaching certificate for life.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:10 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,771,780 times
Quote:
Wasnt a high school like that in the news a few years ago? Like 10% of the sudents could read at the high school level? Maybe it was in Philly..I dont recall.

I say turn that school into a Amazon Distribution Center, and pull every educators teaching certificate for life.
Frankly I'd rather we abolish the teaching certification process altogether, raise salaries drastically, and fire the underperforming teachers who are there just to punch a time card. The profession needs fresh blood.

There's no reason you need to get a teaching degree to become a K-12 teacher. There are skills common to excellent teachers - communication skills, patience, subject matter knowledge, whatever - look for that in the hiring process, not some stupid piece of paper.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:10 PM

25,468 posts, read 12,580,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
This has been going on long before Chairman Xoe ascended to the throne. I'm not defending him, he's an imbecile on a good day and is in way way over his head. But that's the case for the whole administration. Whoever picked his veep and cabinet must have had an Idiots List because they did a good job.

The percentages of inner city school kids "graduating" out of the 12th grade barely able to read or write and without much of a real knowledge foundation, never mind the ability to think critically, has been too large for too long. I'd start with the teacher's unions. This is a massive crime wave against these kids, many of whom become criminals themselves, and it should be addressed. Where's the wonderful ACLU on this matter? Rev Al? Rev JJ? Uh huh. Nowhere, that's where.
I'll go along with just about ANYTHING that is different than what we are doing now that sounds even remotely rational.

Since the left has been running the schools in most urban areas for 50+ years, they must go. If there are Pubs running failed schoold for decades...they must go too!

Old 04-09-2022, 05:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,771,780 times
Quote:
I'll go along with just about ANYTHING that is different than what we are doing now that sounds even remotely rational.

Since the left has been running the schools in most urban areas for 50+ years, they must go. If there are Pubs running failed schoold for decades...they must go too!
Converting all public and charter schools to charter, school choice across the board, abolishing teacher certification, and getting rid of tenure would be a start. All teachers to be hired on as at-will employees. 100% merit-based pay. That includes all administrators.

Make the schools compete for their money for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies