Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times

Advertisements

We never were!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
We spned alot on energy that has nothing to do with autombiles. Just look at what out disposeable society spends on junk they do not need. Do you tjhnk that these products take no enenrgy to make?Then there is the fact that we spoend energy to get energy inot this country instead of using the energy that we have avilable but will not develop.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,450,496 times
The word 'wisely' leads to unfruitful discussions. It deals with the normative. The better word would be 'sustainable'.

An oil-based energy complex is not sustainable.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 PM

55 posts, read 197,871 times
i can afford to run the AC in my house so i do so the minute i deem it uncomfortable. Why do you care if i have to turn it on at 75 degrees? Some people have different tolerances you know

same with lights and stuff

i mean i leave my tv on all night long because i always fall asleep to a movie... but my electric bill is still low so i just dont care

Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,701,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Most of the vehicles that Americans drive consume much gas. Why? Many people drive economical cars that are efficient and do the jobs just as well as a gas hog. Is the vehicle size and horsepower a neccessity, or an expensive status symbol.
Most public transportation ideas receive little more than a bored ho-hum.
Decades ago air-conditioning for homes was very rare and usually could be afforded only by the rich. I remember when most people just toughed it out (in the upper 90s) as best they could with the windows open and some used fans. Haven't many Americans become so spoiled that they turn on the home AC as soon as the outdoor temp hits 74?
We have lights everywhere, even businesses that are closed are lit up brightly 24 hours. Is it neccessary?
Think of all the energy used for 24 hour TV, all those stupid shows and endless commercials about cosmetic wonders, exercise machines, and sucker home business opportunities.
How much could we save if we used energy wisely?
Just wait! You'll see rolling brown/black outs across the country in the next few years! That'll make folks turn the switch off!!!!! There's a real good chane they'll see it in SOCAL this year!!!!! Your plug in hybird won't be worth beans with no coal plant to plug it into.........

Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,111,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I think that we should use whatever cars, air conditioning, lights, that we need, want, and can pay for.

Who is going to tell me I have to shove my 6-person family in a prius because I'm required to get better gas mileage?

Or what if I like to drive my mini-van even though there's only two of us in there?

Or if I have the flu and want the heat up to 80? Or it's 90 outside and I turn on the AC?

Or it makes me feel better to keep my porch light on so anyone approaching my house is illuminated?

Whose business is it if I'm paying for it, even if it's "unnecessary" or "wasteful" in the eyes of others? Maybe it's necessary to me.

Naturally, the price might go up and the NATURAL MARKET will adjust itself. If gas gets too expensive maybe people's priorities will change, and they will look into smaller more economical cars, and sales of larger cars will decline. If oil is too pricey maybe people will switch to wood heat (like I did). Maybe they'll be more selective in using their a/c.

But regulation is not the answer. We are not robots. We're free Americans.

There are companies that will benefit greatly from finding us alternative sources of energy, but until then I'm not freezing, sweating, living in the dark, or riding a mule to work, as long as I can afford to be comfortable.

Karen, I couldn't agree more. If someone uses a lot of energy...it's not free, that person will pay for the cost of it. The elitist mentality of those who would tell others what energy they can or can't use is sickening to me. My SUV gets about 13 MPG...why should anyone else care? I'm the one that has to fill it at the pump. My electric bill is mine to pay, no one elses.

Using the government to regulate "green" or "renewable" technology undermines the integrity of the marketplace. If solar panels were cost efficient, I'd probably have them on my house too...the freedom of the market should be what drives companies to invent cheaper technology, not subsidies and grants from the taxpayers.

As far as the US using such a large percentage of the world's "energy"...yes our population is small compared to the rest of the world. But this country with a "small" population also accounts for 25.7% of the entire world's GDP! Why wouldn't we also use 25% of the energy then? This country benefits the rest of the world in so many ways; I'm not ashamed nor does it bother me that we use so much.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,111,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Just wait! You'll see rolling brown/black outs across the country in the next few years! That'll make folks turn the switch off!!!!! There's a real good chane they'll see it in SOCAL this year!!!!! Your plug in hybird won't be worth beans with no coal plant to plug it into.........
That is due to the failure of the power companies to plan and the government to allow expansion. Some, typically liberals, would argue for forced demand-response technology on the citizens...others would argue for removal of restrictions for GO/GOPs to build generation and TO/TOPs to build transmission.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
In a word ? NO...
We don't take advantage of the free renewable sources.
Solar water heaters in the southern states. Go to Thailand a socalled 3rd world nation and you will see how to take advantage of the sun. Very common to see rooftop water tanks used to heat water for showers.
Nothing is wasted and they recycle even the most common of things such as rags.
Propane and diesel are common alternatives to using Gas.
Trains provide mass transit on scale we used to enjoy but have allowed to become a shadow of its once great standing.
If we are to learn a good place to start is to look at how nations less resource rich have adapted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies