Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 07:18 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Before we had Obamacare, back in the early 2000s, my physician wanted me to have an ultrasound on my breast as I'm at high risk for breast cancer. The insurance company said no dice. It's not just the government.
Insurance may not pay for it, but you could. The ultrasound was available to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 07:22 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Private insurance in the US does not cover it either. Breitbart picked a drug that neither the Private nor Public healthcare sectors will pay for, they just didn't bother to tell you the whole story.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:24 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Insurance may not pay for it, but you could. The ultrasound was available to you.
I was responding to the poster who said government was the problem. My point was pointing out that insurance companies are also the problem.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:28 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I do thank Biden for that. I thank him for regarding illegal aliens that come to the US as far more important than legal US citizens, and for giving those illegals free, socialized medical care. Illegal aliens are tops here in the US. And American citizens better know their place and bow down to them and gladly accept the higher medical costs and wait times.
Illegal aliens are not more important than U.S. citizens and no, they don't get free benefits except in certain instances.
https://immigrationforum.org/article...blic-benefits/
"Are undocumented immigrants eligible for federal public benefit programs?
Generally no
. Undocumented immigrants, including DACA holders, are ineligible to receive most federal public benefits, including means-tested benefits such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, sometimes referred to as food stamps), regular Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). Undocumented immigrants are ineligible for health care subsidies under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and are prohibited from purchasing unsubsidized health coverage on ACA exchanges."

"Undocumented immigrants may be eligible for a handful of benefits that are deemed necessary to protect life or guarantee safety in dire situations, such as emergency Medicaid, access to treatment in hospital emergency rooms, or access to healthcare and nutrition programs under the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children"

Are legal immigrants eligible for federal public benefit programs?
Only those with lawful permanent resident (LPR) status, but not until they have resided as a legal resident for five years.

There are some states that may allow benefits, but not the federal government.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:05 AM

2,007 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Did you research any of the details on benefit versus cost for this particular drug? The stuidies showed it added an average of 1.5 months of life at an initial cost of $50k a year...the drug company then decided to cut the cost in half...to $25k a year.

I don't know how valuable 6 weeks of life is...and I don't know if that's high quality life or "sicker than a dog" life.

All has to be considered. You can say "every day of life is priceless"...but someone has to pay and someone has to make decisions. I'm pretty sure with similar situations in the U.S. the out of pocket would be outrageous.
My nephew is suffering from cancer and the insurance is refusing to cover his pain meds prescribed by his doctor. In the US, how can this happen? But, I can go out and buy heroin on the street cheaper and easier than dealing with an insurance company. God bless America...

Old 04-11-2022, 08:08 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,556,670 times
People in England can also pay for private insurance, but very few do. Because it's too expensive.

Isn't private healthcare grand?

Not quite the gotcha you think it is.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:11 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
When I was going through chemo a decade ago, I was denied the treatment protocol my oncologist (one of the best in the world) recommended because it was much more expensive than the alternative. It also was less toxic, had less side effects, and was significantly more effective.

It was also the standard of care in every other developed country, including the UK.

A decade later, I have spent tens of thousands out of pocket dealing with the after-effects of the toxicity on my lungs that was not a known complication of the denied alternative. My insurance has paid out the wazoo too, but an actuary in an office somewhere determined that the risk of developing this complication was less than the risk the insurance company would take paying for the more appropriate treatment in the first place.

If you don't think this happens in the US, you're wrong.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:14 AM

2,007 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
When I was going through chemo a decade ago, I was denied the treatment protocol my oncologist (one of the best in the world) recommended because it was much more expensive than the alternative. It also was less toxic, had less side effects, and was significantly more effective.

It was also the standard of care in every other developed country, including the UK.

A decade later, I have spent tens of thousands out of pocket dealing with the after-effects of the toxicity on my lungs that was not a known complication of the denied alternative. My insurance has paid out the wazoo too, but an actuary in an office somewhere determined that the risk of developing this complication was less than the risk the insurance company would take paying for the more appropriate treatment in the first place.

If you don't think this happens in the US, you're wrong.
Best of luck to you...

Old 04-11-2022, 08:15 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You will have a very long wait as illegals get FREE health care which also pushes up all costs including medicine. Thank Biden for the extra wait time and costs. The opened borders guy did that.
Illegals already get free healthcare if they show up at a hospital ER.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:19 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Before we had Obamacare, back in the early 2000s, my physician wanted me to have an ultrasound on my breast as I'm at high risk for breast cancer. The insurance company said no dice. It's not just the government.
so uhm....was a law in place that prevented you from simply paying for an ultrasound? Typical cost is ~$250-300?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies