Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 02:20 PM

10,077 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Good. Maybe he can bring free speech back to Twitter and end the radical left's censorship.

For those on the left that say it's a private company and they can do what they like, either you believe in free speech or you don't. There are no grey areas.

Censorship is just a way for the left to not be exposed for their lies and deceit, and to keep the opposition in check. They have decided that they alone are the arbiters of what they consider to be the truth, when in fact they are only pushing their own radical agenda on the weak and unsuspecting.
Great post
You are so right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 02:28 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Musk has 7.9 million followers on Twitter.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:02 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,319,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

You and me both. The CEO hates freedom of speech and feels we need to strip those right away, especially on social media. I can imagine he's going to cry a lot since Musk is the exact opposite of this tool.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:04 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Trump needs to also buy a big % of shares. Just in time to drive the left crazy with his mean yet truthful tweets.it drives the left mad to have their crap called out by him and I love it.
Trump doesn't have the kind of pile of FU money that Musk does.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
81 million actually.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:04 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
He said he was going to start his own social media company but it's probably easier to take majority control of an established company given how high a valuation investors have driven up his TSLA stock he can easily afford it. Still needs to get to 51% though.
Musk is now the largest stock holder in Twitter @9.2 %

The largest stock holder in any company has a big voice - in this particular case, Musk signed papers with the SEC saying he would not attempt to influence the Board. Not sure, but all he has to do is turn his shares over to a Proxy to vote - he might even tweet to his 80.1 MILLION Twitter Followers that he was turning over his shares to a proxy, ID that proxy and point out that responsible share holders should not avoid voting. I get these Proxy requests all the time when it comes time to vote.

Interesting timeline on this Stock buy -- according to the Wall Street Journal, Musk bought the shares prior to March 14, 2022. In a securities filing Monday, Mr. Musk reported owning almost 73.5 million shares of Twitter as of March 14, representing a stake valued at $2.9 billion based on Friday’s closing price. He has been cranky for a while about the Censorship at Twitter - apparently he likes the Babylon Bee that was censured. He speculated about starting his own Platform -- little did everyone know that he had already purchased enough Twitter to become the Majority Stock Holder.

On March 25, 11 days after becoming the largest shareholder in the social-media company, Mr. Musk tweeted a poll, saying, “Free speech is essential to a functioning democracy. Do you believe Twitter rigorously adheres to this principle?” He added in a follow-up tweet: “The consequences of this poll will be important. Please vote carefully.”

More than 70% of the roughly two million people who responded voted no.

Donald Trump had almost 89 Million followers when Twitter & Facebook banned him.
Never in US history was a prominent politician "banned" by a news source until recent times. Defending public bans & censorship of those who control the media is supporting a totalitarian society. No different than Russia, China or North Korea. The New York Post was banned by Twitter & Facebook to protect Biden who was Trump's opponent - while other Leftist Media Lied about the Hunter Biden Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Check again

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
81 million actually.
Correct

Which side is Elon Musk on? He has done more to stop climate change than any liberal, by pioneering electric cars and battery technology. Yet he’s as much against ‘cancel culture’ and for free speech as any conservative! Could he be instead that rare type of individual that thinks for himself? How will our our ideological driven politicians deal with a true America free spirit who is rich enough and smart enough to shape his own destiny? What if he inspires others to free themselves from the bondage of political dogma and become, like him, free thinkers? The future just got scary for the establishment— and a lot more fun for the rest of us!

If you can't beat them, buy them & Elon Musk is the Richest man in the World.
Today the News was good - somebody stood up for the Constitution & Freedom, and the World noticed.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Musk is now the largest stock holder in Twitter @9.2 %

The largest stock holder in any company has a big voice - in this particular case, Musk signed papers with the SEC saying he would not attempt to influence the Board. Not sure, but all he has to do is turn his shares over to a Proxy to vote - he might even tweet to his 80.1 MILLION Twitter Followers that he was turning over his shares to a proxy, ID that proxy and point out that responsible share holders should not avoid voting. I get these Proxy requests all the time when it comes time to vote.

Interesting timeline on this Stock buy -- according to the Wall Street Journal, Musk bought the shares prior to March 14, 2022. In a securities filing Monday, Mr. Musk reported owning almost 73.5 million shares of Twitter as of March 14, representing a stake valued at $2.9 billion based on Friday’s closing price. He has been cranky for a while about the Censorship at Twitter - apparently he likes the Babylon Bee that was censured. He speculated about starting his own Platform -- little did everyone know that he had already purchased enough Twitter to become the Majority Stock Holder.

On March 25, 11 days after becoming the largest shareholder in the social-media company, Mr. Musk tweeted a poll, saying, “Free speech is essential to a functioning democracy. Do you believe Twitter rigorously adheres to this principle?” He added in a follow-up tweet: “The consequences of this poll will be important. Please vote carefully.”

More than 70% of the roughly two million people who responded voted no.

Donald Trump had almost 89 Million followers when Twitter & Facebook banned him.
Never in US history was a prominent politician "banned" by a news source until recent times. Defending public bans & censorship of those who control the media is supporting a totalitarian society. No different than Russia, China or North Korea. The New York Post was banned by Twitter & Facebook to protect Biden who was Trump's opponent - while other Leftist Media Lied about the Hunter Biden Laptop

Check again

Correct

Which side is Elon Musk on? He has done more to stop climate change than any liberal, by pioneering electric cars and battery technology. Yet he’s as much against ‘cancel culture’ and for free speech as any conservative! Could he be instead that rare type of individual that thinks for himself? How will our our ideological driven politicians deal with a true America free spirit who is rich enough and smart enough to shape his own destiny? What if he inspires others to free themselves from the bondage of political dogma and become, like him, free thinkers? The future just got scary for the establishment— and a lot more fun for the rest of us!

If you can't beat them, buy them & Elon Musk is the Richest man in the World.
Today the News was good - somebody stood up for the Constitution & Freedom, and the World noticed.
He basically allows NASA to exist. They are helpless without him. Not sure if his tunnel thing under Miami is going ahead but really cool idea. Huge pedestrian only street would be great. Also at least when he takes your money you get a Tesla or a nice internet satellite hook up. He probably has done more for rural people without internet than any politician at the federal level the last decade.

Yet he somehow steals from everybody according to Bernie and company. They should thank him because without him they would be more exposed as being completely incompetent

Old 04-04-2022, 04:16 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Trump needs to also buy a big % of shares. Just in time to drive the left crazy with his mean yet truthful tweets.it drives the left mad to have their crap called out by him and I love it.
Good luck with that....Elon Musk is rich.....Trump, not so much

Old 04-04-2022, 04:20 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Good. Maybe he can bring free speech back to Twitter and end the radical left's censorship.

For those on the left that say it's a private company and they can do what they like, either you believe in free speech or you don't. There are no grey areas.

Censorship is just a way for the left to not be exposed for their lies and deceit, and to keep the opposition in check. They have decided that they alone are the arbiters of what they consider to be the truth, when in fact they are only pushing their own radical agenda on the weak and unsuspecting.
For those who believe Twitter or Facebook are "Private Companies" -- they are clueless about what a Private Company is. Here's a HINT - IF Twitter was a "private company" Elon Musk could not have just bought 9.2% of it -- and become the Largest Share Holder in a Publicly Traded company called Twitter.

What Is a Private Company? - Investopedia

KEY TAKEAWAYS
A private company is a firm that is privately owned.
Private companies may issue stock and have shareholders, but their shares do not trade on public exchanges and are not issued through an IPO.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:28 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I am not a fan of Twitter. It seems like a big-time waster following the random thoughts of people. I guess they claim to have 5 billion dollars of sales revenue but are still losing 200 million a year. Maybe Musk sees a path to profitability.

Seems to me they earn money through AD revenue but at what point do people get turned off by the ads? Can they increase ad content to close the negative earnings or will people get turned off and move on to the next social media idea?

I know I'll never join Twitter but my demographic isn't what they want anyway. I hardly use my cell phone for anything but making the occasional call. I am involved in trading but anything posted on Twitter is just noise to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies