Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 10:49 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Amazing how many red states are in the best of list and how many blue states are in the worst of list.

Too bad Democrats made Covid political. Thankfully I live in a solid red state that used common sense with Covid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Blue states ignored everything else, and tried to control COVID deaths only. We see the outcome.
well, the study was done by 2 "right of center" organizations and a Univ of Chicago economist.

while I might not equally weigh economy, school openness and mortality, it surely gives food for thought and debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 10:50 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Idiot Governors seemed to make Covid handling worse.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
I explained in post #31 how population density does not correlate for COVID spread. You'd want to use average intimate personal contacts, data of which I don't know if exists but would be interesting to see for sure.
Your post #31 didn't take into account the typical "yuppie" who Zooms in NYC all day is almost 100% guaranteed to live in a multi-unit high rise apartment building with shared HVAC, elevators, etc. There were some studies done early on in the pandemic showing spread in apartment buildings do to shared HVAC and common areas to get in and out of the apartments. So I don't think your #31 post really does anything to prove that those living in NYC had less exposure than a family with kids in South Dakota.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:02 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Your post #31 didn't take into account the typical "yuppie" who Zooms in NYC all day is almost 100% guaranteed to live in a multi-unit high rise apartment building with shared HVAC, elevators, etc. There were some studies done early on in the pandemic showing spread in apartment buildings do to shared HVAC and common areas to get in and out of the apartments. So I don't think your #31 post really does anything to prove that those living in NYC had less exposure than a family with kids in South Dakota.
Ok, if you want to adjust for population density, you need to know the effect. What is the effect? Effect is easily calculated for age and obesity and other conditions, but I've seen no measure where population density is predictive.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ok, if you want to adjust for population density, you need to know the effect. What is the effect? Effect is easily calculated for age and obesity and other conditions, but I've seen no measure where population density is predictive.
Just throwing out a point that those in NYC don't necessarily have limited contact holed up in their apartments. That type of living, in a large building, in and off itself can create excess exposures that could rival or exceed a family who has no restrictions on them socialness. Your post seemed to indicate that they, the New York apartment dwellers based on lifestye, were protected more from exposures, such as I am in my single family home (yet living in a very dense area).

Old 04-11-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Just throwing out a point that those in NYC don't necessarily have limited contact holed up in their apartments. That type of living, in a large building, in and off itself can create excess exposures that could rival or exceed a family who has no restrictions on them socialness. Your post seemed to indicate that they, the New York apartment dwellers based on lifestye, were protected more from exposures, such as I am in my single family home (yet living in a very dense area).
I was trying to illustrate that it's not population density but avg person contacts that matter. Density is often used as a crude substitute for that number, since density is so easy to calculate but avg person contacts, not so much.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:16 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
I was trying to illustrate that it's not population density but avg person contacts that matter. Density is often used as a crude substitute for that number, since density is so easy to calculate but avg person contacts, not so much.
They would use the calculated R0 for that area. It can vary greatly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They would use the calculated R0 for that area. It can vary greatly.
R0 is a measure of virus transmission in a completely immune naive population. You probably mean R, either way these are not population density dependent.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I got it. Really I'm not trying argue. I agree with you on average person contacts wholeheartedly. I've personally seen that theory in action with COVID infections in people I know. I guess I was simply trying to correct the misperception that a person in NYC living in a apartment and Zooming has less contacts. Consciously, he/she may believe that. But just the actual nature of living in NYC is high risk because of the type of housing there that the majority of people live in.

Otherwise, absolutely. I live in the DC area but during the pandemic, I sat safely in my single family home and teleworked. My exposures were minimal, so population density wasn't really a variable for me.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:26 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
R0 is a measure of virus transmission in a completely immune naive population. You probably mean R, either way these are not population density dependent.
Well, here is data on the R0 of omicron in the US, so a non-completely naive population.

https://vitals.sutterhealth.org/omic...r-two-reasons/
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies