Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 09:03 AM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times

Advertisements

A mom is criticizing San Francisco's drug policy when it comes to 'open air drug markets' making it too easy for dealers and addicts especially when it comes fentanyl. The city does nothing except pick up the trash on occassion. Says lack of enforcement of drug laws take away some incentive to get sober.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/09/mother...drug-policies/

Her son is a 31 year old addict living in/on the streets of San Francisco.

On one hand just fear of prison time won't keep everyone sober but if more of these addicts pay consequences for their actions much earlier in their drug addict career perhaps it wouldn't have progressed as far as it did. The addict has to want to sober up and rehab and programs are a tool towards sobriety. Jail, criminal record etc might be one of the incentives needed to stay sober, get sober or use those tools.

And can't blame drugs for everything-Did the drug actually plant the thought and technique in one's head to find a screw driver and pop a lock or pry a window open to burglarize a building? Or smash the window of a car?-They were probably already ethically and legally challenged when sober.

Last edited by anononcty; 04-11-2022 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 09:11 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
All I know about the drug war and drug policy in the US is it does not work.
Sending them to prison does not work
Open markets do not seem to work

We need a whole new approach. Currently, the US is burning away money on this issue with no evidence that any of this is working at all in any city or town regardless of size that has dealt with high (relative to community size) opioid addiction.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:19 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

We need a whole new approach. Currently, the US is burning away money on this issue with no evidence that any of this is working at all in any city or town regardless of size that has dealt with high (relative to community size) opioid addiction.
Deal with them like they do in China. This scum needs to be removed from society.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

Which is why no option, program, tool etc should be ruled out. Scare straight tactics worked in my youth. I didn't want to be called or associated with being a junky or doper. Or spend time in jail or lose out on a job. Too lenient drug policies lead to excuse abuse and too stern policies lead to things that don't work with enough people.

More public and youth need more education on addiction in general including all the associated issues, words, phrases including a description and effects of each and every drug. By the 1980s most large companies and military mandated classes on drug & alcohol abuse including the description and effects of these drugs. Part of the reason this should be mandated is they need to be associated with bad things and people. Bad things should include a criminal record, getting fired ,failing to pass a drug test to get a job and of course all the associated health issues that many addicts/alkies shrug off.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:46 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Which is why no option, program, tool etc should be ruled out. Scare straight tactics worked in my youth. I didn't want to be called or associated with being a junky or doper. Or spend time in jail or lose out on a job. Too lenient drug policies lead to excuse abuse and too stern policies lead to things that don't work with enough people.

More public and youth need more education on addiction in general including all the associated issues, words, phrases including a description and effects of each and every drug. By the 1980s most large companies and military mandated classes on drug & alcohol abuse including the description and effects of these drugs. Part of the reason this should be mandated is they need to be associated with bad things and people. Bad things should include a criminal record, getting fired ,failing to pass a drug test to get a job and of course all the associated health issues that many addicts/alkies shrug off.

I do think that scared straight tactics do work for some but often the peer pressure and in far too many cases the hopelessness someone feels overwhelmed by leads them to becoming an addict.

I know someone that has a daughter that has struggled with alcohol since she was 15. It started with sneaking out of the house at night to hang with "the bad boys" in the park. She has been in trouble with the law and in and out of hospitals, rehab, AA and half way houses for years. The treatments she received seldom stuck for long and she was often found passed out after a binge that included drinking mouth wash when the cheap vodka ran out so it was back to rehab. Her "friends" were losers.

She had chance after chance after chance and who knows how much money that state has paid over the past decade "helping her"? It has to be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Today she is 26 and I heard that she is finally getting her life together. She has been at a job now for almost a year and she is talking about getting her drivers license.

I once dated a woman that had a problem with alcohol and she could take it or leave it but when she took it she would drink until she passed out. No matter what I did, her parents and friends did it could only help her so much. She had to make the choice that enough was enough.

That is the thing with addicts, they have to hit rock bottom sometimes several times before they can get better and their torment spreads out to loved ones and society as a whole.

It might be mean to say but when someone is overdosed maybe they should not be revived by narcan. Letting them die would ease the suffering of everyone involved.

We need to do something with these Lost addicts because they are becoming a stain and a strain on our society.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:33 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,344,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Deal with them like they do in China. This scum needs to be removed from society.
I agree. If all you do all day is take drugs and then lay out on the streets, you should not exist. Just another worthless member of society and we’d all be better off if that person disappeared.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:45 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,630 times
The Real thing to do is to have Work Farms with Detox Programs.

Especially in California where crops are plentiful.

But the Liberals are "too afraid" to implement that.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I know someone that has a daughter that has struggled with alcohol since she was 15. It started with sneaking out of the house at night to hang with "the bad boys" in the park. She has been in trouble with the law and in and out of hospitals, rehab, AA and half way houses for years. The treatments she received seldom stuck for long and she was often found passed out after a binge that included drinking mouth wash when the cheap vodka ran out so it was back to rehab. Her "friends" were losers.

She had chance after chance after chance and who knows how much money that state has paid over the past decade "helping her"? It has to be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

...... problem with alcohol and she could take it or leave it but when she took it she would drink until she passed out. No matter what I did, her parents and friends did it could only help her so much. She had to make the choice that enough was enough.

That is the thing with addicts, they have to hit rock bottom sometimes several times before they can get better and their torment spreads out to loved ones and society as a whole.

It might be mean to say but when someone is overdosed maybe they should not be revived by narcan. Letting them die would ease the suffering of everyone involved.

That's it. Until the alcoholic or addict wants to quit and not attend a program for friends, family, work or even a court they will not until they really want it. This is where penalties and consequence as incentive come in. Holding a job is a positive consequence. . Incentive could be an arrest 30 times a month which is a negative consequence.

People don't like drunks or druggies. They also not too fond of people that botch second and third chances.

Old 04-11-2022, 01:52 PM

1,250 posts, read 679,047 times
It never occurs to anyone in power that it would be extremely helpful to all to arrest addicts for ANY crime and then put them in a year long mandatory rehab program. When they are done with the year program, transfer them to sober living environments.

I guarantee the cost of this is way more "affordable" than letting people and cities rot right before your eyes.

And on the Fentanyl problem - do SOMETHING about it - drugs coming from China and Mexican cartels managing? I am sure there is a drug unit somewhere who knows what's going on.

When's the last time you read about MAJOR drug busts? Cartel busts? Gang busts?

Ask yourself why nothing is done and then *somehow* find the one or two honest people with ethics and start a Sixties type movement that can be televised, daily.

I don't get why everyone is so dumb that things ONLY get worse.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:12 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
I remember when I was young in the eighties, LE was busting everyone and searching for the biggest dealers and issuing long term sentences for them. This put an end to the majority of drug selling in our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies