Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 11:21 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Asians are rich because they do well.

An educator should understand the difference between cause and effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 11:38 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I love how students that perform the same as they did in the 1970s are now considered "gifted"
Well, it's used to designate kids that need a different education path from the average student.

Kinda like how you used to have cars where seatbelts were options, tracking kids for tougher course work is a way to help reach their potential.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:48 AM

6,991 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, it's used to designate kids that need a different education path from the average student.

Kinda like how you used to have cars where seatbelts were options, tracking kids for tougher course work is a way to help reach their potential.
Where I went to school, there was the kids that rode the "short bus" and everyone else. Students could take AP courses to prepare for college, but that was it.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:36 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Asian students do well because their families value education and treat it with great respect. Money has little to do with it.
Exactly. "Tiger Mom" comes to mind, I've lived in a predominantly Asian community most of my life so..."Tiger Mom" is a well-known thing.

Plus.....Asian's are well aware of the opportunities created from getting higher education. Children who's parents came from poor countries are driven hard in focusing on their education because of this. I've known countless people from India, for example, who are the exact same way. I had a neighbor who was from India and he told me of all the education he has, because in India, only those who are top scholars get the opportunity to prosper in life. He had five degree's and told me he studied everywhere he went, every day / night of the week and did this for 5 to 8 years in college. And now he's in the US and has two kids of his own, and guess what? He's got them into schools and they are far ahead of most other kids in their class. His two daughters actually graduated 12th grade at about 16 years old and are now enrolled in college courses.

So this is why most Asians, and other's such as my neighbor from India, are so involved in education. Public schools in the US are a total and complete joke while we're bsing. The vast majority of public school is telling kids that weed has medical uses, to engage in same sex and use whichever bathroom they want to use. Total and complete garbage. Any wonder why kids are turning out the way they are these days?

Strong family structure is what is needed to overcome the American public education bs. Without strong family structure, so-called "teachers" are having their demented twisted fantasy way with the kids, turning them out to be the same, and most cases worse.

Last edited by FC76-81; 04-14-2022 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-14-2022, 12:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Let me tell you the problem with people, they never want to accept that someone who isn't THEM has figured out a path to success. We see this all the time in the USA from some minority groups who would rather convince themselves that everything is racist than accept that following certain patterns will more likely lead to success, because those patterns can be seen in the rise of western (white) civilization. Instead we have to pretend that success as we know it shouldn't even be a goal, that 2+2 can equal 5 if you're creative, and that every culture has some special keys to their own kind of success that need to be respected. Every culture does not, and that's why some cultures no longer exist. That Asians put a high value on high education is no secret, we've known this for a long time and actually used to believe it here, but somehow we've decided that, nah, everyone is special in their own way...you do you...everything is acceptable...and that's just not good enough.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:47 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Let me tell you the problem with people, they never want to accept that someone who isn't THEM has figured out a path to success. We see this all the time in the USA from some minority groups who would rather convince themselves that everything is racist than accept that following certain patterns will more likely lead to success, because those patterns can be seen in the rise of western (white) civilization. Instead we have to pretend that success as we know it shouldn't even be a goal, that 2+2 can equal 5 if you're creative, and that every culture has some special keys to their own kind of success that need to be respected. Every culture does not, and that's why some cultures no longer exist. That Asians put a high value on high education is no secret, we've known this for a long time and actually used to believe it here, but somehow we've decided that, nah, everyone is special in their own way...you do you...everything is acceptable...and that's just not good enough.
Exactly.

The funny thing is the answer to all this is exactly what the superintendent and others denigrate-- studying hard.

The superintendent should be touting them as an example of what to do rather than making moronic excuses.

There is no secret. It is right in front of everyone--- STUDY. Go to class, listen, take notes, review those notes, do your HW, check your HW, and keep your partying to a minimum.

But it seems others have a different set of priorities and there is a growing army of enablers to help them self destruct.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:52 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Exactly.

The funny thing is the answer to all this is exactly what the superintendent and others denigrate-- studying hard.

The superintendent should be touting them as an example of what to do rather than making moronic excuses.

There is no secret. It is right in front of everyone--- STUDY. Go to class, listen, take notes, review those notes, do your HW, check your HW, and keep your partying to a minimum.

But it seems others have a different set of priorities and there is a growing army of enablers to help them self destruct.
Another factor is the quality of the education that is being taught in the public school system. Most of it is bs these days and has been since the 90's and gradually getting even worse in the last 15 - 20 years.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:10 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Another factor is the quality of the education that is being taught in the public school system. Most of it is bs these days and has been since the 90's and gradually getting even worse in the last 15 - 20 years.
I don't know about that.

Sure, it could certainly be better and many public schools are beginning to resemble embryonic Khmer Rouge camps.

But some of the greatest minds were schooled in one room structures without heat, electricity, etc.

I myself graduated from a Washington DC public school and a pretty crappy one at that. But I and others did the best we could with it and enhanced the experience by reading a lot, visiting the (free museums), and generally living life with curiosity.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Where I went to school, there was the kids that rode the "short bus" and everyone else. Students could take AP courses to prepare for college, but that was it.
When I went to school it was similar but you could be moved ahead a year in math plus had another special cass or two. We didn't have AP classes, too small/rural

Gifted programs are much bigger deal in lower grades (K-7) and smaller schools where you can't feasibly have AP Calc 3 and just get 15 kids a year filling it like some places.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Public schools where I am are great. Heck, they're better than the private schools in the area in many ways.
Sorry they're bad in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies