Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 07:37 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
the last bubble was largely caused by a lot of different things. Not the lease of which were non income verification loans, strange and crazy mortgages such as ARMs which people couldn't afford. And a Wave of people who kept refinancing to upgrade their homes(remember the popularity of flipping shows) and people having no equity in their homes so when prices started to drop they couldn't sell them without seriously being underwater.

Although payments are high a lot of these other things are not nearly as bad. And the cost of renting is even more out of control then housing costs. For instance in 2009 I was going back to grad school and renting a studio apt in a decent complex for 425 a month. Today I am looking at going back to that same town and checked them out. They painted and put in some cheap stainless appliances and are now charging 1k a month. Far more than the 35% housing payment increase you are talking about. And i have seen this same thing everywhere. Its still cheaper to own and you have to live somewhere. As someone who is looking to rent somewhere I have noticed more and more private homes where people are renting out a bedroom in their house. Something I have never seen so much of before. And people are renting them.
Not it wasn't. Standards were lowered and people got loans who didn't qualify before or since. THAT is the entire cause of the problem. The free market turning into a managed market.

Everything else does add to it but those are just symptoms. After the fact and not the cause. Nothing bad happens if the bad loans were not made. still a crash but nearly as bad as what we saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 07:40 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Essentially, it was the bundling of tranches of mortgages into securities and then selling them into the open market. The appetite for these was huge, and it was difficult to judge the performance of the underlying mortgages. The banks originating them weren't keeping them on their own books so there was a perverse incentive to originate as many mortgages as possible to meet market demand for the bundled securities. That's when you got the so called "liar loans" and people being approved that should not have been. There were also government programs started under Clinton that encouraged the approval of marginal applicants in the name of fostering home ownership.

I highly recommend "The Big Short," both as a film and an explainer of what happened.

As for mortgage rates, I've lived the great majority of my adult life in a low interest rate environment, so the thought of signing up for a 30-year mortgage at say 6% is abhorrent to me. The rate rise has to be flushing out some buyers.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who stood in line for a low 10.9% mortgage in 1985 when my friends had mortgages for 18%. I don't pay 6% now, but I also see that it could be a reality again.

Back to the liar loans, the non-stop commercials in California to get no doc mortgages with no down payments and an extra 5-10% to pay off your credit cards or buy furniture were quite enticing to many. Had friends that jumped into the mortgage origination biz, writing up loans for huge commissions.

It's nothing like that now.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Also, mortgage has fallen as a percentage of disposable income, from 7.18% in Q4 2007 all the way down to 3.85% as of Q4 2021.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MDSP
I noticed that - since it's an easily findable chart.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Mine is about the same as it was in 2006. The 30 year rate was over 6% back then. My rate now is 2.8%. And the same about property taxes, they are the reason I am not paying less now, although I am when adjusted for inflation.

But this is about the average mortgage payment, which includes new buyers at the higher home prices.

I do think these prices are not sustainable unless we start seeing some serious wage inflation.

And remember, every crash is immediately preceded by hoards of speculators explaining why THIS time, it is different. THIS time, it is not a bubble.
well, that's all I think it is, which is why I ask.

I have no doubt the mortgage payment on a new purchase is 35% higher today than it was in 2006. But that's not what is claimed in the chart, the reddit thread, or this topic.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:50 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I think the housing market has peaked for now and I think we'll see the bubble start to burst soon with the FED leading the charge.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
What is the exact math on that with mortgage payments 35% higher than in 2006 at the peak of the last bubble?

Has healthcare costs risen a lot since then? Yes.

Has college costs risen a lot since then? Yes.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/23/opini...son/index.html

You sincerely think mortgages are easier for people to get today than the past?

Keep in mind, interest rates have since risen coupled with higher home prices.

https://mishtalk.com/economics/the-h...-market-bubble

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/buil...he-market.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/real...ennials-2022-4
from the last link (I assume) you quoted:

Quote:
Rising US interest rates designed to slow inflation have priced more than 9 million homebuyers in America out of the housing market since the start of the year, according to a leading property economist.
in the article, it says 3 million Millenials, so not sure where the 9 million comes from, but not too surprised since it's Business Insider.

And 9 million doesn't really make sense anyway, since only ~7MM homes are sold annually.

Can you find the FRED chart on this 35% higher mortgage payment?

Old 04-16-2022, 08:22 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
As a side note...
We live in a two houses property and rent one out.
Our renter is part of the family owned construction business.
He mentioned that, they have more and more contracts suspended due to buyers not being able to continue construction of theior new house, because of the high materials/lumber costs.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:50 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
It's still about supply vs. demand. In the Great Recession, there was an excess of speculative inventory which tipped the balance. It's different now. Pandemic supply issues and labor constraints continue to restrict supply in the face of growing demand. Younger people are doubling up, living with parents etc. They represent a pent up, unmet demand. The way to lower prices is more construction of homes and apartments but higher interest rates from the fed are doing to stifle that. It's a complex picture, but this is not 2008 all over again.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:23 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
from the last link (I assume) you quoted:

in the article, it says 3 million Millenials, so not sure where the 9 million comes from, but not too surprised since it's Business Insider.

And 9 million doesn't really make sense anyway, since only ~7MM homes are sold annually.

Can you find the FRED chart on this 35% higher mortgage payment?
That is poor logic. Being priced out means you can't afford it. The amount priced out can be higher than the amount sold.

There are more people priced out of Ferraris than sold.

The National Association of Realtors, which supplies the St. Louis Fed with data, just announced that homes are 23% less affordable than 1 year ago.

https://mishtalk.com/economics/housi...ss-than-a-year

I am surprised that the same people who argue that the 99% are falling behind and that we need more freebies to help with this, are denying the obvious reality of home prices being unaffordable for more and more people.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:28 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I still pay $695/month renting. Owning would be $1500+/month at current house prices and mortgage rates factoring in taxes, utilities, and insurance.

I can afford it but won't pay that. Average people overspend and live paycheck to paycheck.
lol if you dont mind where do you live that you can pay 695 a month without living in a ghetto and having to dodge the transients at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies