Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 12:42 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Disgusting this nonsense still continues to this day.

https://abc7news.com/ca-covid-rent-r...-key/11718737/

Quote:
She has spoken to tenants, housing organizers and the assembly member behind AB 2179- the housing relief program that protects tenants from getting evicted until June 30 while they wait on state's aid. On Wednesday, she spoke to a landlord who hasn't gotten paid in over 20 months.

In 1986, Gary R. bought his dream home in Pleasanton. A four bedroom house with a pool and a view of the mountains.

36 years later, his dream home is now an income property, but for the past 26 months he hasn't made any income.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZXHVLRwMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYPBtsgfLEg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 01:48 PM

3,405 posts, read 1,444,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

And that amounts to the taking of private property without just compensation.

JWK

Old 04-16-2022, 02:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalDust View Post
Tenants vs Landlords

Class warfare
Oh, no. This is the government literally demanding one person directly pay the living expenses of unrelated adults. We are small landlords, renting out former homes. We had one family that struggled at times to pat rent due to the wife being unable to work because the schools were closed, but they tried so we did everything we could to work with them. We had a single guy who paid not one dime even though he had his job the whole time. When the moratorium finally ended owed us over $15,000. We had his crappy immoral butt in eviction court the minute we were allowed. He seriously wanted to just start paying rent as if he didn’t owe any of that back rent. Then he wanted to work out staying in our place and slowly paying us back. I told the judge I didn’t care if it was vacant for years, no way was that guy staying in my property. They evicted him and issued a judgement against him. Then he turned around and damaged stuff on his way out. Back to court we went.

By the time the back rent, damage, and legal fees were added up he owes us over $25,000. This isn’t about class warfare, it’s about doing the right thing.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:02 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Perhaps I missed where any investment was entitled and guaranteed to result in profitability. Maybe Gary R should have considered other financial instruments that offered less risk...

Old 04-16-2022, 04:16 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Another example of letting folks live for free while having working folks pay for it. Entitlement has no bounds for the free stuff folks.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:17 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Disgusting this nonsense still continues to this day.
And the rich aren't paying their fair share of taxes, don't cha know.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Another example of letting folks live for free while having working folks pay for it. Entitlement has no bounds for the free stuff folks.
And who suffers, but the average person, who now will be charged higher rent, because "the rich" property owners are losing their shirts

Old 04-16-2022, 04:28 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And who suffers, but the average person, who now will be charged higher rent, because "the rich" property owners are losing their shirts
And also, that will just be another property off the market if they decide renting out isn't worth the trouble anymore due to State interference. Less options, less places to live. Only the upper end people will be able to afford whatever is left out there; higher demand = higher prices. Little guy loses out, can't move closer to better work.

People will need to stay living with parents longer( which they probably should be doing if they aren't ready).

It's all just gonna slow the machine down to a crawl for awhile.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, no. This is the government literally demanding one person directly pay the living expenses of unrelated adults. We are small landlords, renting out former homes. We had one family that struggled at times to pat rent due to the wife being unable to work because the schools were closed, but they tried so we did everything we could to work with them. We had a single guy who paid not one dime even though he had his job the whole time. When the moratorium finally ended owed us over $15,000. We had his crappy immoral butt in eviction court the minute we were allowed. He seriously wanted to just start paying rent as if he didn’t owe any of that back rent. Then he wanted to work out staying in our place and slowly paying us back. I told the judge I didn’t care if it was vacant for years, no way was that guy staying in my property. They evicted him and issued a judgement against him. Then he turned around and damaged stuff on his way out. Back to court we went.

By the time the back rent, damage, and legal fees were added up he owes us over $25,000. This isn’t about class warfare, it’s about doing the right thing.
And the underlying cause was due to governmental interference at the city, state and federal level, where people were locked down in their homes, forbidden from going to private businesses, except for the really large super chains like Walmart, home depot, etc... Government destroyed our economy, and then plastered band-aids on it by handing out hundreds of billions of free COVID relief money, then allowing everyone to skip their rent payments, even if they still had their jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhYJS80MgYA

Old 04-16-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
And also, that will just be another property off the market if they decide renting out isn't worth the trouble anymore due to State interference. Less options, less places to live. Only the upper end people will be able to afford whatever is left out there; higher demand = higher prices. Little guy loses out, can't move closer to better work.

People will need to stay living with parents longer( which they probably should be doing if they aren't ready).

It's all just gonna slow the machine down to a crawl for awhile.
Yes indeed, what government did to landlords is enough to convince people to get out of that market. Landlords already have a severe uphill battle. I know people who had small rental properties and got screwed over by lazy worthless freeloading tenets. Some even caused a lot of damage to the landlord's property, forcing the landlord to pay thousands of dollars to clean and renovate it, just to make it a presentable place to rent. It's like pulling teeth to evict really bad tenets. I remember a landlord in CA lowered my rent, when I told her I'd fix up her backyard, which was completely ruined and cluttered with trash and illegal chicken coups and random unfinished brick work and dead trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies