Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 09:05 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times

Advertisements

We are at a pace of detoriation of the US dollar. It is quite obious that the dollar at some point in time will no longer be the worlds reserve currency.

We produce nothing and import everything. We send our dollars for these goods, and the dollar is losing more and more value at a accelerated pace.

I was at a party today talking to a neighbor that recently moved up the street. I elaborated the situation about the dollar most likely losing its status in the next decade or so. He laughed it off and did not take it serious.

Why are people in denial that the ponzy show is over and we abused the power we were granted with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 09:30 PM

1,345 posts, read 473,845 times
I recognise it as well. The United States needed to become self-sufficient by bringing industries back and allow for commodity production stateside. Trump had the right idea but not nearly enough support in Congress to get it all done.

Now with the push to alienate important foreign markets like India and various traditionally nonaligned countries we're going to see a pivot in the economic role the West and the USA plays. India's defence minister clarified this to the USA a day or so ago.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:38 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
We still produce quite a bit. Problem is we also have lots of parasites on both the top and bottom, and because of unlimited QE any concept of fiscal conservatism and trying to be more efficient to cut costs is gone.. these days it's zombie entities full of debt that call the shots, knowing they will get bailed out in the end or their stocks pumped up which is effectively the same thing... a bailout.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:57 PM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
We are at a pace of detoriation of the US dollar. It is quite obious that the dollar at some point in time will no longer be the worlds reserve currency.

We produce nothing and import everything. We send our dollars for these goods, and the dollar is losing more and more value at a accelerated pace.

I was at a party today talking to a neighbor that recently moved up the street. I elaborated the situation about the dollar most likely losing its status in the next decade or so. He laughed it off and did not take it serious.

Why are people in denial that the ponzy show is over and we abused the power we were granted with?

Your neighbor was right. It seems you are confusing, maybe conflating, at least partially, general price inflation/local purchasing power metrics, currencies held as central banking reserves and dollar strength relative to other currencies.

The dollar will, and has been, strengthening as the Fed. increases the FFR.......over the last month the $ is up against the Euro, yen and Renminbi/yuan. FWIIW the $ is up against the yen and Euro over the last 12 mos as well.

Right now for every Renminbi held as reserve there are $21 held as reserves. Let me know when the Renminbi/yuan moves into 4th place as a reserve currency past the Pound. Further, $s as reserves increased more than the Renminbi last year.

A final factor is a little in the weeds but because we run a trade deficit with the Chi-coms they must hold lots of $.......that factor alone will keep the $ as the key reserve most likely for many decades.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:03 PM

447 posts, read 321,943 times
Who told you the USA does not produce or export anything?

The business would not bring back the factories because they want cheaper labor.

Those poor countries make 100 tables may change it for a box of Pfizer medicine.

To get an iPhone they have to make 150 tables.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Because they own assets, and anyone complaining is mad they dont own stocks, or bonds, or RE.

That is the reason presented by some posters on the Econ Subforum.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:28 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
It is the fate of all fiat currencies, the almighty USD included, to be destroyed, either in a hyperinflation, or in a devastating loss of confidence.

Having the reserve currency status is an immense privilege- one that the US has abused to the extreme and does not deserve. All fiat currencies are essentially garbage, but the USD is perhaps the most rotten of them all.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:29 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Why should I care? I have most everything I need. There is very little I buy from US corporations, let alone crap from overseas where the value of my dollar matters even more. If you feel your currency is going to be nearly worthless, trade it in for stuff you think will be worth something like precious metals, real estate, some people like bitcoin... There are many things you could buy that would hold value, while the US dollar is only worth about 2% of what it was 100 years ago... Obviously, not a good long term track record.

Do you understand how the system works yet? It's a feature, not a flaw.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:32 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why should I care? I have most everything I need. There is very little I buy from US corporations, let alone crap from overseas where the value of my dollar matters even more.
You realize that without the reserve currency status, the US would be a third world country literally overnight? We would legitimately be no better off than Haiti.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:36 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
You realize that without the reserve currency status, the US would be a third world country literally overnight? We would legitimately be no better off than Haiti.

No it wouldn't. Nations collapse all the time and don't all become like Haiti. 3rd world outcomes happen for reasons that has nothing to do with the collapse, and everything to do with what happens after the collapse... When it's time to pick up the pieces and start over. I doubt it would even come to that in the USA, unless basic infrastructure was in ruins. We have everything we need resource wise to tell the rest of the world to pound sand. If we are too stupid to wisely allocate scarce resources, well, we deserve everything we get in that case. We are a very highly educated country, supposedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies