Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 06:23 AM

1,706 posts, read 635,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thanks for making my point. Well done indeed.
I'd like to know whats there to celebrate as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 06:26 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think trans people have latched onto the pronoun thing in a very unhealthy way. Ten years ago no transgender person cared about pronouns. It’s very unhealthy for them to place so much importance and take so much offense about being called a pronoun. People don’t get to force everyone around them to say something unnatural. Better for trans people to not worry about what pronouns they’re called.
And I think people have placed too much importance on NOT calling them by their preferred pronouns. It’s become a political statement.

How do you know no transgender person cared about pronouns? I find that hard to believe, and it’s not a knowable thing.

If I’d been living my life as a woman for 20 years and somebody insisted on calling me a he just to prove some kind of point, even though I’ve been standing in front of them clearly presenting myself as a woman, I’d think that was pretty rude. Or just stubbornly hostile. Not how two grown people should interact.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:28 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Agree. As a liberal I will call a man he and a woman she. I realize that there is a very small number of people who probably do truly fall in between but lately this is just a fad and it will pass. I ignore it. The more we ignore it, the sooner it will go away. Do not cater to this fad. Just ignore it.
sound advice.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:44 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
And I think people have placed too much importance on NOT calling them by their preferred pronouns. It’s become a political statement.

How do you know no transgender person cared about pronouns? I find that hard to believe, and it’s not a knowable thing.

If I’d been living my life as a woman for 20 years and somebody insisted on calling me a he just to prove some kind of point, even though I’ve been standing in front of them clearly presenting myself as a woman, I’d think that was pretty rude. Or just stubbornly hostile. Not how two grown people should interact.
If I am talking to someone, why would I use pronouns?

Do you normally refer to people as Hi, he!, What's up, she? Is that normal conversation? No. It's not.

You would use the person's NAME.

All this pronoun crap is garbage. And yes, the LGBTQ agenda has made it political. Because LGBTQ is trying to reorder society for the very small minority. Yes. They are. It's the equivalent of, for example, every grocery store suddenly only carrying Asian foods and food product. A small minority dictating how the majority should live.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:49 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Agree. As a liberal I will call a man he and a woman she. I realize that there is a very small number of people who probably do truly fall in between but lately this is just a fad and it will pass. I ignore it. The more we ignore it, the sooner it will go away. Do not cater to this fad. Just ignore it.
But laws are being passed where we cannot ignore it anymore.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But laws are being passed where we cannot ignore it anymore.
And if you ignore it you get fired and/or have to go to court.

We are past the point of ignoring it.

And that is what most people either don't understand or refuse to acknowledge.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:19 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And if you ignore it you get fired and/or have to go to court.

We are past the point of ignoring it.

And that is what most people either don't understand or refuse to acknowledge.
Lots of people with their heads in the sand..."just ignore it and it will go away".

Old 04-18-2022, 11:02 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Why did the college professor care in he first place? I have and had medical students who many times have asked me to call them by a different name than their Official first name, even have their Hospital badge or Student badge with the preferred name on it. I don't care and never have. I am not their mother or father, I am seeing patients and that is the focus. I teach them, I don't decide who they are nor would I want to, I have my own kids.

I guess I don't get why people care enough about this to insert their personal bias on the job when no one is paying you to do so. College professor is an employee and if he broke the rules of his employment and decided to die on that sword, that is his problem.

And the school looks like a public school, perhaps the professor should work at a private school where he can lean on religion or personal feelings to avoid using pronouns in way he has some personal bias against.

Why should anyone be forced to remember the pronoun preferences of anyone who likes identifying as a different gender?

If you look like a guy, people are going to assume you're a guy.

Get over it.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:33 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Why did the college professor care in he first place? I have and had medical students who many times have asked me to call them by a different name than their Official first name, even have their Hospital badge or Student badge with the preferred name on it. I don't care and never have. I am not their mother or father, I am seeing patients and that is the focus. I teach them, I don't decide who they are nor would I want to, I have my own kids.

I guess I don't get why people care enough about this to insert their personal bias on the job when no one is paying you to do so. College professor is an employee and if he broke the rules of his employment and decided to die on that sword, that is his problem.

And the school looks like a public school, perhaps the professor should work at a private school where he can lean on religion or personal feelings to avoid using pronouns in way he has some personal bias against.
What if that student, with no degree, insisted on being called Doctor or Professor (with no degree or license)? What if they insisted on being referred to as a cat or dog? Pandering to someone's mental illness, faking reality and denying the truth, let alone expecting and demanding others do so, is wrong, and frankly a stupid idea.

The other one I don't get is nutjobs that insist on being referred to as "they". Hey, goofball, "they" is plural-the only time it might be remotely appropriate with an individual is if that person has schizophrenia, when you literally are talking to someone with multiple personalities.

Snowflakes need to learn that their feelings don't alter reality, and that words have meanings.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:33 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:

You’re arguing manners and I’m arguing free speech. I don’t know what to tell you that I haven’t already said. You can’t force people to comply with everything you want in a free country. It would be better for trans people to accept that and move away from this issue.

Three things that were nearly universally taught to my generation and above were:

1. Life is not fair.
2. The world doesn’t owe you anything.
3. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

Last edited by katygirl68; 04-18-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies