Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 12:35 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times

Advertisements

I refuse to suspend reality simply because it makes someone "feel better."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 12:45 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The professor apparently refused to tell lies about a student when the student demanded he tell the lies ("This student is female" when the student is a male)... and the student filed a complaint?

And the university accepted the complaint?

And the university conducted an investigation into an obviously frivolous "complaint"???

If I were a student at that university, I would "demand" that none of my tuition money or tax money be used to pay the lawyers for such a complete waste of their time; and that none of it be used to pay the professor the $400,000 settlement.

Let the University president and others who made the decision to pursue this matter as an official "complaint", pay every penny of it all out of their own pockets.

BTW, one other corny thing about this article: The author was careful in the article itself to not refer to "the student" by ANY pronoun that might identify the student's sex, such as "he" or "she" etc., aside from quoting court papers.

If the "journalist" were at all concerned about reporting the truth and/or using correct, lucid English, the last paragraph quoted below would have read (emphasis mine):

Meriwether didn't agree to the student's request, and court documents state that the student became belligerent and told the professor that he would be fired. The student filed a complaint with the university, launching an investigation which eventually determined that Meriwether "effectively created a hostile environment" for him because Meriwether would not use the preferred pronouns. Meriwether did offer to call him by any name requested, but he did not accept the offer.

Cowardice can be found in many different shapes and sizes.

----------------------------------

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-publ...dering-student

Ohio public university to pay $400,000 in damages after punishing professor over preferred pronoun controversy
Professor sued Shawnee State University, claiming it violated his First Amendment rights

by Adam Sabes | Fox News

A public university in Ohio will pay $400,000 in damages and attorney fees after punishing a professor for declining a male student's demand to be referred to as a female.

Nick Meriwether, a philosophy professor at Shawnee State University, responded to a male student's question during a January 2018 political philosophy class by saying "Yes, sir." When the class ended, the student identified to the professor as transgender, and demanded to be referred to as a woman in the future, along with "feminine titles and pronouns," according to the Alliance Defending Freedom, which represented the professor in court. Doing so, Meriwether maintained, would have violated his convictions as a Christian.

Meriwether didn't agree to the student's request, and court documents state that the student became belligerent and told the professor that he would be fired. The student filed a complaint with the university, launching an investigation which eventually determined that Meriwether "effectively created a hostile environment" for the student because he would not use the preferred pronouns. Meriwether did offer to call the student by any name requested, but the student did not accept the offer.
What does that matter? It would have meant denying reality and biology, and submitting to a foolish demand to cater to a spoiled child's mental illness and alter reality to pander to him.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 679,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Why did the college professor care in he first place? I have and had medical students who many times have asked me to call them by a different name than their Official first name, even have their Hospital badge or Student badge with the preferred name on it. I don't care and never have. I am not their mother or father, I am seeing patients and that is the focus. I teach them, I don't decide who they are nor would I want to, I have my own kids.

I guess I don't get why people care enough about this to insert their personal bias on the job when no one is paying you to do so. College professor is an employee and if he broke the rules of his employment and decided to die on that sword, that is his problem.

And the school looks like a public school, perhaps the professor should work at a private school where he can lean on religion or personal feelings to avoid using pronouns in way he has some personal bias against.
I remember calling on someone who was obviously male, dressed as female - this was before the pronouns mandate, but I knew I should refer to him as "she," but my subconscious mind had another perspective - and I slipped a few times - it's hard to just "go along" with whatever someone is preferring if you can see what they really are.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
They can easily focus their problems on lots of things, that’s not the fault of that which they choose.

This society does not celebrate transgenders, basically or otherwise. A few covers with Caitlyn Jenner and some proposed material on gender identity for schools does not a societal celebration make.

People can’t even be polite enough to call people by the pronouns of the gender they identify with, and that’s the least of the nasty things they do to transgendered people to their face. Life in the real world is still pretty difficult.
Yeah, life's a real B when the reality doesn't alter itself to fit your wishes. Hey, if I identify as Jeff Bezos, am I free to walk into his house and make myself at home, or walk into Amazon headquarters and start running the joint? That's no more unreasonable than a man expecting people to treat him as a woman just because he can't deal with reality.

This kid seems a lot smarter than many of today's college students, let alone administrators. And Supreme Court justices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wcxHiorJ4

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-18-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-18-2022, 01:03 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Should of called them an "IT"... Problem solved.

Weirdo's going to "Weird"...
There you go. You nailed it.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:17 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times
I don't get all this pronoun ridiculousness. All I know is that it is taking up a lot of time with the left that should be used to make our country better. Pronoun usage does nothing.

Some papers now ask which gender do you feel you most identify with. Does that mean identify with that day? Can each day you change your identity?

Can you identify as a man one day and then the next feel like a lady? What are y'all's rules on this? What if one day I relate more to a cat? or dog? What if I don't always relate as a human or animal but maybe I feel I identify more with a tree. What's confusing is trees don't have genders. What do I do in that case?

I know there are like 75 different genders so I can have my choice and each day I can identify any way I want even if it adds to y'alls already long list of genders? Y'all need to start adding more.

Add female and male trees. Add stallion and mare horses because sometimes I like to be wild and free and identify more like a horse. Heck sometimes I can't decide if I feel more like a stallion or mare so can I be a Mareion and combine the 2 together?

Where is the rules y'all have on pronouns so I can get up to date info? Help a horse out!

...and please add a pregnant tree your your emojis. I would feel a lot better about life if that were included. We need more chest feeding pregnant trees as emojis.

What if I'm feeling wild and free and decide to go rob a store. I rob the store and people say they saw a wild stallion running from the store. Won't that be confusing and hard to find me. People will be looking for a wild stallion out in the pastures.

One day I may feel like a Cis Boom Ba.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 04-18-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-18-2022, 01:33 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I don't get all this pronoun ridiculousness. All I know is that it is taking up a lot of time with the left that should be used to make our country better. Pronoun usage does nothing.

Some papers now ask which gender do you feel you most identify with. Does that mean identify with that day? Can each day you change your identity?

Can you identify as a man one day and then the next feel like a lady? What are y'all's rules on this? What if one day I relate more to a cat? or dog? What if I don't always relate as a human or animal but maybe I feel I identify more with a tree. What's confusing is trees don't have genders. What do I do in that case?

I know there are like 75 different genders so I can have my choice and each day I can identify any way I want even if it adds to y'alls already long list of genders? Y'all need to start adding more.

Add female and male trees. Add stallion and mare horses because sometimes I like to be wild and free and identify more like a horse. Heck sometimes I can't decide if I feel more like a stallion or mare so can I be a Mareion and combine the 2 together?

Where is the rules y'all have on pronouns so I can get up to date info? Help a horse out!

...and please add a pregnant tree your your emojis. I would feel a lot better about life if that were included.

What if I'm feeling wild and free and decide to go rob a store. I rob the store and people say they saw a wild stallion running from the store. Won't that be confusing and hard to find me. People will be looking for a wild stallion out in the pastures.
Imagine if they spent the same amount of energy demanding kids could READ.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:40 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I'm all for treating people respectfully.

I definitely get a sense of "power trip" from some (not all) of the pro-noun crowd.

Let's face it, they've put up with a lot of bullying and that is one recipe for creating a bully.

Trying to force people to do what they want with threat of ruination to back it up is a rather ugly proposition.

I grew up in a small minded church community setting, not much will make me dig my heels in faster than someone trying to wield moral authority and essentially threat to do what they want. Heck, I even support LGBTQ but anyone demanding I bend to their will is in for a rough go. Now if someone asked nicely, I can work with that but again a lot of the types you read about in stories like this are jerks.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:03 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If I am talking to someone, why would I use pronouns?

Do you normally refer to people as Hi, he!, What's up, she? Is that normal conversation? No. It's not.

You would use the person's NAME.

All this pronoun crap is garbage. And yes, the LGBTQ agenda has made it political. Because LGBTQ is trying to reorder society for the very small minority. Yes. They are. It's the equivalent of, for example, every grocery store suddenly only carrying Asian foods and food product. A small minority dictating how the majority should live.
In the instance being discussed in this thread, the professor said, "Yes sir" to the student. Not even a pronoun but rather a form of address.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
In the instance being discussed in this thread, the professor said, "Yes sir" to the student. Not even a pronoun but rather a form of address.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Lb6OpRfyLFo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies