Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 06:09 PM

8,821 posts, read 15,276,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
You can easily search for them online yourself. Do you know how to use google?
Yes. I do know how to use Google, thank you for checking. In the time I spent Googling I had not found any specific examples cited. So far I have only found articles making the same general statement, say the math texts were banned due to "references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics". I have read that "The press release does not provide any examples of the offending material, but it does say that 54 of 132 submitted textbooks were rejected, including 71 percent of materials proposed for grades K–5".

Old 04-17-2022, 06:19 PM

42,665 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You’re jumping on the bandwagon without any specific facts, they never indicated the 50 math books that were banned nor the specific text that was problematic. Yet here you are claiming they are teaching victimhood with out one once of proof other than DeSantis claim. Don’t you questions that they have 54 math books in grade K-5, rather strange to begin with but don’t let facts get in the way of more false outrage.

Instead of focusing on substandard math scores let’s just create a political controversy over a non-existent problem.
You are only saying that because you have not seen the Math books.
None of us have so all we can do is speculate.

How do you know it's a "non-existent" problem ? Simple answer is "you don't".

Old 04-17-2022, 06:20 PM

42,665 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Yes. I do know how to use Google, thank you for checking. In the time I spent Googling I had not found any specific examples cited. So far I have only found articles making the same general statement, say the math texts were banned due to "references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics". I have read that "The press release does not provide any examples of the offending material, but it does say that 54 of 132 submitted textbooks were rejected, including 71 percent of materials proposed for grades K–5".
FL no longer participates in Common Core so that would have been part of the exclusions.

Not all the books were rejected solely due to CRT.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:40 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,916,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You are only saying that because you have not seen the Math books.
None of us have so all we can do is speculate.

How do you know it's a "non-existent" problem ? Simple answer is "you don't".
Likewise, how do you know it is a real problem. Simple answer is "you don't."

Old 04-17-2022, 06:42 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,916,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well maybe you should read up a bit on what has been happening in the K-12 "math world".

The ivory tower think tanks "think" that African American math education is different than all other skin colors.
That is why you don't see many Blacks in STEM jobs.

This isn't new as papers go back years.

2+2=4

Does math care what skin color you are ?
Does math care what language you speak ?

YET...we have researchers saying that African Americans have racial "issues" that impede their learning ability.

And so now we have ...CRT
How does any of that gobbledygook show up in a math book?

Old 04-17-2022, 06:50 PM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Pretty much Math was invented by non-whites.

It's dominated by non-whites (due to effort and sheer population numbers)

But hey, let's re-define everyone as non-white in order to keep up the myth.

Oh, and women can't do math either...let's throw that BS out there....a huge chunk of my bosses and co-workers have been women.

Can we just stop making excuses eventually?

Old 04-17-2022, 06:51 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Someone on the left ease explain why CRT needs to be
In our kids math books?

http://https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/florida-crt-desantis/2022/04/17/id/1066021/
I D O C T R I N A T I O N

Repeat a propagandist lie long enough, and saturate kids with the lie, so that the lie becomes the theme which forms the foundation of everything they are taught, and you can create a generation of mindless Pavlov's dog type idiots.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:55 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 8 hours ago)

27,537 posts, read 16,018,410 times
Hate should not be allowed in school. Good

Old 04-17-2022, 06:57 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pretty much Math was invented by non-whites.

It's dominated by non-whites (due to effort and sheer population numbers)

But hey, let's re-define everyone as non-white in order to keep up the myth.

Oh, and women can't do math either...let's throw that BS out there....a huge chunk of my bosses and co-workers have been women.

Can we just stop making excuses eventually?
Indeed. And like everything else, the left LIES and turns everything into an issue of race, and blames white supremacy.

From the Wiki:

From 3000 BC the Mesopotamian states of Sumer, Akkad and Assyria, followed closely by Ancient Egypt and the Levantine state of Ebla began using arithmetic, algebra and geometry for purposes of taxation, commerce, trade and also in the patterns in nature, the field of astronomy and to record time and formulate calendars.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:01 PM

25,468 posts, read 12,580,588 times
Well, I dont think the books they are using is causing the issue in my area of Florida...Sarasota County:

https://www.srqmagazine.com/srq-dail...trict-Rankings

I'd like to see the % of single family households for the lagging students, versus the same stat for those excelling.

I think that is the root cause, but I'm ready to proven wrong.

Our Governor just passed some bill to help minority Dads, so I guess its time I read it.

We gotta fix this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.