Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 10:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times

Advertisements

Fertility decline goes across lines of religion, race, and culture. Biggest theme since to be more people living in cities reduces fertility. In a city children are a burden and liability. In a rural areas they help out on the farm and don't require constant supervision due to kidnapping and random sexual predators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 10:50 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Absolutely correct. The world population has not decreased.
But it will. it does not really take a math degree to see we are very close to nosing over and witnessing a global population decrease. All it takes is a look at TFR. The decrease in TFR has been well researched and well documented.
You banal reply of "Oh, well; it'll increase some day" is common, but no demographer or sociologist has said that.

Your observation that it has never happened before is a little puzzling. This is a discussion of future population.
FWIW, many cultures have disappeared. No one can say why, so you cannot declare it is not because of a low birth rate that no longer supported the population. That very well could have been the problem.
I find the assumption that a future decreasing population is going to cause humans to become extinct or cause a collapse in the world economy and that people are worried about social security or who is going to care for the elderly puzzling. I can speculate on many things that have never happened before but without some evidence that if X happens it will lead to Y, it is merely a guess, a speculation, a fantasy.
If the handful of cultures that disappeared was due to a decrease of fertility rate overtime (which is highly unlikely) it apparently was not a devastating event for humanity.

BTW I'm not the one who said the population will increase one day.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:53 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times
I look at this from an American centric view. In my 62 years on this earth, the US population has gone from roughly 183 million to over 331 million. An increase of 147+ million. So it almost doubled.

Living on the east coast, it's easy to see that many areas are at max population capacity. Driving on interstates near urban areas had been a nightmare for decades. The NJSP & DC Beltway are 2 examples of roadways that experience rush hour gridlock and long snarls due to accidents. I bet drivers on those roads are glad the replacement rate isn't up in the 5s.

The covid virus had the potential to make a significant adjustment to the world's population. While noteworthy, the demise of an additional 6 million people is frightening, it's miniscule in relationship to the total world population.

So I'll continue to golf clap while worldwide birth rates decline. But in the big picture, it doesn't personally affect me very much.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:58 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I think capitalism can exist in a steady state economy. Bartering is a form of capitalism and it flourishes in small societies. I think it is the wealthy elites who can't handle a steady state economy. Bartering does not provide any get rich mechanisms, everyone who produces something of value for a bartering system is generally at the same ecomonic level as everyone else in the system.
Yeah makes sense.

The wealthy will tap ai and robotics, but will this satiate them? They will have to get used to the idea that there won’t be masses of poor to compare themselves against and exploit.

Peak global population imo will likely arrive during the 2050’s. Though it will be uneven. Africa will be the last place for above 2.1 fertility, but I have a feeling the drop for them will be even more precipitous than Asia.

Old 04-19-2022, 02:11 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Good to hear. Thank you people!
Absolutely

So much for "Global warming" or "Cooling" or what ever they call it these days, fewer people lower Green house gas emissions

Old 04-19-2022, 02:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
The covid virus had the potential to make a significant adjustment to the world's population. While noteworthy, the demise of an additional 6 million people is frightening, it's miniscule in relationship to the total world population.
Yeah, I thought the same about the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami where 227,898 died, but in the grand scheme of things, while that number seems like a lot (I guess for a single day it does), on average, 150,000 people die each day around the world.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:45 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I find the assumption that a future decreasing population is going to cause humans to become extinct or cause a collapse in the world economy and that people are worried about social security or who is going to care for the elderly puzzling............
That's because you have not studied the subject.
But no one said humans are going to become extinct. What was said is the population decrease will never stop. What that means is the human population will decrease by 1/2 about every 75 years. I leave it up to you to calculate the human population in 300 years. Or 600. That's still plenty of people. It's a matter of where most of them will live. Temperate climates do best.
Actually, for the record, I believe there will be an industrial collapse at some point as fewer and fewer goods and services are needed worldwide. But it may or may not look ugly. Might be perfectly fine; everyone gets what they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
BTW I'm not the one who said the population will increase one day.
Well..... It's either gotta increase or decrease, doesn't it? I mean unless Central Command dictates orders regarding how many children you are required to have
(OK. THAT ain't gonna happen)

Old 04-19-2022, 04:17 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Too expensive to have kids and when these kids grow up, there won't be any jobs around for them to live off.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's because you have not studied the subject.
But no one said humans are going to become extinct. What was said is the population decrease will never stop. What that means is the human population will decrease by 1/2 about every 75 years.
Your comments on this topic are ridiculous. There is no global population decrease, and no prospect of one in our lifetimes barring unexpected catastrophe.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:28 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Your comments on this topic are ridiculous. There is no global population decrease, and no prospect of one in our lifetimes barring unexpected catastrophe.
You know nothing about a well researched topic and refuse to apply the simple math.
No one is talking about a population decrease that is already happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies