Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2022, 10:07 PM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times

Advertisements

What stops the government from doing this again if there is no penalty? This is a tremendous loss for us. Proof that government can get away with anything if wants to and the courts are completely useless to stop government from violating our rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 10:17 PM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
I love the anti-science maskers melting down.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:20 PM

472 posts, read 325,152 times
Thank God! Masks do not stop respiratory viruses. This has been proven over and over again by data, the most recent being Austria and Germany. They had HUGE spikes in cases this winter despite medical-grade mask mandates.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:33 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Question... why does Psaki say that it's disappointing? Isn't it good that COVID is declining and no longer wreaking havoc? Isn't it good that we are returning to normal? That's been much of what the Administration has been saying... getting back to normalcy. But for some reason this is disappointing.
I'd be ok with her wearing a mask. We could wear a mask over our eyes in case hers falls off.

Some folks just don't want to give up their emotional support mask.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:10 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought the CDC had NO authority to make laws. Just checked my copy of the Constitution, which gives the Fed govt all its powers, and the CDC is nowhere mentioned. The only group mentioned, is Congress, and the President who signs or vetos what the Congress passes.

CDC and other such groups in the Executive Branch can recommend laws, and can even write up examples. But they aren't laws until Congress and Prez have done their thing.

And nowhere in the Constitution does it give Congress and the Prez authority to delegate their powers to other groups like CDC.

Maybe I have an out-of-date copy?

----------------------------------

https://www.wsj.com/articles/judge-t...on-11650306480

Judge Throws Out Federal Mask Mandate for Public Transportation
Federal judge in Florida says Biden administration’s Covid-19 mandate exceeds CDC’s authority

By Jacob Gershman and Alison Sider
Updated Apr. 18, 2022 10:14 pm ET

A federal judge in Florida declared the Biden administration’s Covid-19 mask mandate for public transportation unlawful, throwing out its requirement that travelers in the U.S. wear masks on airplanes, trains, taxis, buses and other forms of mass transit.

U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle in Tampa ruled Monday that the mandate exceeded the authority granted to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention under federal public-health law and was issued in violation of rule-making procedures.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:22 PM

2,284 posts, read 636,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I haven't been hassled about it on an Uber in over a year.

I guess they'll have the silly "I'm wearing a mask" checkbox that everyone will ignore going forward.
In Europe, you don't need a masks in Ubers either. Back in Miami, I began not wearing one in Uber, no one said or indicated any discomfort. But after a few times of doing that, I went into my app, and was required to take a selfie with a mask on to use it again

Anyways, Florida has liberated the nation

Old 04-18-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Thanks for your expert opinion, what exactly made it look solid.

Judge Mizzle is 33 years old, never sat on the bench and was unqualified for the federal court position according to the ABA which is really a low bar.

From her ruling, she seems to have forgotten that Trump was president in 2020.

So far she is the only judge or court that has decided against the mandates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/18/u...airplanes.html
This is why you guys will be slaughtered this November. You're so annoying. Leave people in peace to decide if they want to wear a mask or not. It's over, this crap is over. Down with mandates!

Old 04-18-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
What stops the government from doing this again if there is no penalty? This is a tremendous loss for us. Proof that government can get away with anything if wants to and the courts are completely useless to stop government from violating our rights.
Nothing, and they will do it again.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:26 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Seems like this should have been done a while ago.

But it's so pleasing to understand they had to rescind this... the weight of the country was just too much for them and they couldn't hang on any longer.

What people should understand from this is how difficult it is to regain freedom once the authoritarians take control. It is easier to fight against them on the front end than it is to regain what was lost. And this was just a mask mandate. It didn't involve any monetary policy, or prying student loans out of their hands, or home loans, or them having their mits in the revenue stream of health care.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought the CDC had NO authority to make laws. Just checked my copy of the Constitution, which gives the Fed govt all its powers, and the CDC is nowhere mentioned. The only group mentioned, is Congress, and the President who signs or vetos what the Congress passes.

CDC and other such groups in the Executive Branch can recommend laws, and can even write up examples. But they aren't laws until Congress and Prez have done their thing.

And nowhere in the Constitution does it give Congress and the Prez authority to delegate their powers to other groups like CDC.

Maybe I have an out-of-date copy?

----------------------------------

https://www.wsj.com/articles/judge-t...on-11650306480

Judge Throws Out Federal Mask Mandate for Public Transportation
Federal judge in Florida says Biden administration’s Covid-19 mandate exceeds CDC’s authority

By Jacob Gershman and Alison Sider
Updated Apr. 18, 2022 10:14 pm ET

A federal judge in Florida declared the Biden administration’s Covid-19 mask mandate for public transportation unlawful, throwing out its requirement that travelers in the U.S. wear masks on airplanes, trains, taxis, buses and other forms of mass transit.

U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle in Tampa ruled Monday that the mandate exceeded the authority granted to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention under federal public-health law and was issued in violation of rule-making procedures.
I was wondering that too.

You can expect them to appeal, hopefully this goes before the USSC, and we can have a ruling if the CDC can issue mandates like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies