Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 09:15 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

Shrug. Walking the walk. A lot more than many do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 09:39 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
I am sure he was reporting on it very objectively before he decided to risk his life in it.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:49 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
If Nance is deploying to Ukraine to offer his intelligence analyst services so be it. But why pose wearing a helmet, body armor complete with morale patches, a rifle and magazines? I served with a lot of men and women in the military intelligence community. Everyone of them I ever served with liked keeping a low profile and remaining in the shadows. A 61 year old retired Navy Chief Petty Officer should be above posing for photos that look like the cover of "Soldier of Fortune".
In Ukraine today, there is no safe headquarters building where he could sit behind a desk and hold meetings to give advice to Ukraine's military leaders. Anyone in the warzone needs to be able to protect themselves. I would expect him to be wearing body armor and carrying a weapon. It doesn't mean he is running out to the front lines with the younger soldiers.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
In Ukraine today, there is no safe headquarters building where he could sit behind a desk and hold meetings to give advice to Ukraine's military leaders. Anyone in the warzone needs to be able to protect themselves. I would expect him to be wearing body armor and carrying a weapon. It doesn't mean he is running out to the front lines with the younger soldiers.

I'm very well aware of the conditions in Ukraine. But why the "Rambo" publicity photos and the bluster and tough talk on Twitter? As someone that served half of my military career in Marine Corps combat arms units I just have to chuckle. A Marine buddy said the same thing. "What's up with that? Why announce to the world that you're deploying to Ukraine?" That said, I do wish him well and that he remain safe during his deployment.

Last edited by irishcopper; 04-20-2022 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-20-2022, 12:13 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Malcolm Nance has decided to join the legion of foreign fighters in Ukraine battling Russian forces in the country...

Ex-MSNBC analyst joins Ukrainian forces against Russia: ‘I’m done talking’ - Washington Post
A 60 year old is not going to fare well in combat out in the bush. I used to be able to spend 10 days out in the mountains carrying food, tent, and rifle. There is no way in hell I could do it now. Humping it out in the bush with no logistical support is pretty tough. Also, unless one is integrated as a part of a COMBAT TEAM, having individual 'Rambos" out there will do nothing. Military units are successful in tactics deployed as a TEAM and are not worth much as rogue individuals. Even to be a sniper, you need logistical support, a spotter, and a mission which helps the overall tactical plan. Snipers are used to occupy larger numbers of troops by essentially a "terrorism" mode to reduce easy movement. The purpose of a sniper is not to kill a large number of troops, but simply make them move slower and tie them down.

Also, one cannot transport firearms across international borders, so he is not going to be able to take his "gear" with him and would have to rely upon weapons/armor there. There is not enough to go around for the younger troops.

So these guys envision bringing in some nods, a flip thermal scope, a few thousand rounds of ammo, food, water filters, and body armor- great- you just can't take it there.

Unless someone is trained in combat, they will suffer the same fate as the german Volkstrum- they will be cannon fodder.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A 60 year old is not going to fare well in combat out in the bush. I used to be able to spend 10 days out in the mountains carrying food, tent, and rifle. There is no way in hell I could do it now. Humping it out in the bush with no logistical support is pretty tough. Also, unless one is integrated as a part of a COMBAT TEAM, having individual 'Rambos" out there will do nothing. Military units are successful in tactics deployed as a TEAM and are not worth much as rogue individuals. Even to be a sniper, you need logistical support, a spotter, and a mission which helps the overall tactical plan. Snipers are used to occupy larger numbers of troops by essentially a "terrorism" mode to reduce easy movement. The purpose of a sniper is not to kill a large number of troops, but simply make them move slower and tie them down.

Also, one cannot transport firearms across international borders, so he is not going to be able to take his "gear" with him and would have to rely upon weapons/armor there. There is not enough to go around for the younger troops.

So these guys envision bringing in some nods, a flip thermal scope, a few thousand rounds of ammo, food, water filters, and body armor- great- you just can't take it there.

Unless someone is trained in combat, they will suffer the same fate as the german Volkstrum- they will be cannon fodder.
I concur with all of that you've stated. To quote a Marine buddy "The problem with all these people deploying to Ukraine is the logistics nightmare that it is causing. A lot of people have zero military training even more have little infantry training. Then there is the communication barrier with all the different languages. Most are getting over there and realize there are no weapons for them." Then there is the matter of food, potable water, transportation and trauma care if they get wounded.

If he's deploying to Ukraine as an intelligence officer anyone that believes that Malcolm Nance has more insight about the war between Ukraine and Russia than our active intelligence community (CIA, NSA, DIA and the NGA) as well as British MI6 is either naive, been watching too much MSNBC or only read Nance's books. No doubt the CIA Directorate of Operations has people on the ground in Ukraine and Russia supporting the Ukrainians. The 16K plus international volunteers including 3K Americans are an ideal cover for them. I'm sure Joe and Kamala have no clue. Plausible deniability and all that.

Last edited by irishcopper; 04-21-2022 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-21-2022, 09:00 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Malcolm Nance was a Cryptography Chief Petty Officer in the Navy. He's very knowledgeable analyst and published author on foreign affairs, intelligence matters and counter-terrorism. However, at age sixty I'm not sure that Nance has the combat arms skills necessary to be other than a liability to himself and others in combat in Ukraine. I hope that I'm wrong and do wish him well.
Maybe he is going to use his existing skillset and not actually pick up a gun.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Maybe he is going to use his existing skillset and not actually pick up a gun.
If Nance is deploying to Ukraine to offer his intelligence analyst services so be it. But why pose wearing a helmet, body armor complete with morale patches, a rifle and magazines? Why the "Rambo" publicity photos and the bluster and tough talk on Twitter? As someone that served half of my military career in Marine Corps combat arms units I just have to chuckle. A Marine buddy said the same thing. "What's up with that? Why announce to the world that you're deploying to Ukraine?"

I served with a lot of men and women in the military intelligence community. Everyone of them I ever served with liked keeping a low profile and remaining in the shadows. A 61 year old retired Navy Chief Petty Officer should be above posing for photos that look like the cover of "Soldier of Fortune". Regardless, I do wish him well and that he remain safe during his deployment.

As I stated in my previous post
Quote:
If he's deploying to Ukraine as an intelligence officer anyone that believes that Malcolm Nance has more insight about the war between Ukraine and Russia than our active intelligence community (CIA, NSA, DIA and the NGA) as well as British MI6 is either naive, been watching too much MSNBC or only read Nance's books. No doubt the CIA Directorate of Operations has people on the ground in Ukraine and Russia supporting the Ukrainians.
It's not like he's Jack Ryan in a Tom Clancy novel and be immediately welcomed back into the intelligence community once he's on the ground in Ukraine. It doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies