Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 12:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Bill Maher got it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrOCUVJnyZE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 01:15 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If recent history is any guide, Republicans are gonna take back Congress in a massive sweep, then they're gonna be like "oh yeah, now we have to, like, govern and stuff" which they rarely do competently, setting the stage for Democrats to re-take Congress in 2026 or 2028.
I don’t think the Republicans should count their chickens before they hatch. While I don’t doubt that they will retake the House, it might not be by as large of a margin as many think. If they keep pushing abortion restrictions to the forefront, they will inspire many moderate women to vote for the Democrats. Republicans also need decent candidates and the last thing they or the country needs is more elected officials like Madison Cawthorn, Paul Gosar, Marjorie Taylor Green, etc.

I’m an independent who is very prepared to vote 100% Republican this time around but give me non crazy candidates to vote for.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:49 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I don’t think the Republicans should count their chickens before they hatch. While I don’t doubt that they will retake the House, it might not be by as large of a margin as many think. If they keep pushing abortion restrictions to the forefront, they will inspire many moderate women to vote for the Democrats. Republicans also need decent candidates and the last thing they or the country needs is more elected officials like Madison Cawthorn, Paul Gosar, Marjorie Taylor Green, etc.

I’m an independent who is very prepared to vote 100% Republican this time around but give me non crazy candidates to vote for.
Nah, it's gonna be a bloodbath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Indeed.

Given the depth of the Republican bench for president in 2024, it is nearly certain a Republican will win. And House and/or Senate majorities will likely be lost in the subsequent midterms.
I think that depends a lot on whether Trump runs again or not. If he does, he'll probably wipe out that bench much like he did in 2016 -- and then the general election voters will get to decide between 4 more years of out-of-control radical left-wing nutbaggery, or another 4 years of slightly less crazy governance accompanied by the antics of a man-child president.

Yeah, our Republic's in real great shape these days.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:50 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
If recent history is any guide, Republicans are gonna take back Congress in a massive sweep, then they're gonna be like "oh yeah, now we have to, like, govern and stuff" which they rarely do competently, setting the stage for Democrats to re-take Congress in 2026 or 2028.
That's American politics. Neither party are particularly effective, but people vote for them because they believe the other side to be more damaging. It's quite the pantomime.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:10 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
All you need to do is prove it. " Someone said" is not evidence. It's been 17 months since the 2020 election.

Dominion Voting Systems and Smartmatic have pending multi- $billion suits against Fox News, OAN, Newsmax, Giuliani, Lindall and Powel, former Trump attorney.

Contrary to misinformation posted to Twitter and FB, none of the suits have been dismissed.

When Trump called the Georgia SoS, a Republican, to find the votes to overturn the election, it was not a good optic. In this case, the " someone said" was Trump and the call was recorded.

I voted for Trump because I thought it important for there to be continuity in the midst of a global pandemic and fallout.
I enjoy most of your posts because they’re usually just the facts ma’am. I appreciate that.

I was wondering if you ever regret voting for Trump? I agree that having continuity during the pandemic might have best.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:17 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Maybe, but it sure would be good for the Democrat Party to remember people don’t want progressives running the country. They need to rein it in and losing big would be the best thing to happen to them in a long time.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:21 PM

23,846 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
the last thing they or the country needs is more elected officials like Madison Cawthorn, Paul Gosar, Marjorie Taylor Green, etc.
Don't know more about the first two than their names, but Greene I like. The reason she's disliked around DC is because she's throwing a kink into their cronyism and making our elected representatives do their jobs. Making waves makes people angry. That's all it is. Left or right, if you believe that the rules should be followed in government, even if it's inconvenient sometimes, you should be able to appreciate what she's doing for you in there.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:31 PM

1,346 posts, read 473,083 times
Wait a minute so with the stringent push for inane policies like transgenderism, CRT, unprecedented number of border crossings, late term abortions (use that phrase loosely considering what's actually being pushed in a number of states now) record high inflation, Carter era esque price control calls, terrible foreign policy management, politicisation of the military, industry crippling 'green new deal' advocacy, selling our needed oil reserves to other countries after cutting off a number of pipelines, and a lopsided justice system it's expected that the Democrats will simply follow the regular pattern of reclaiming Congress after two or four years? These are nation altering agendas being implemented. It isn't something to be readily dismissed. But who knows? Maybe people's attention span is so small that they'll vote these people back in after a few years of party fatigue. It's like a roundabout way of slowly poisoning yourself; not that many Republicans are any better or that some Democrats would necessarily be all bad for America (looking at Gabbard and Manchin). At least you have a better chance of not going down the the path to ruin with some Republicans.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:32 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Nah, it's gonna be a bloodbath.

I fully expect the GOP to tale the House. I do not expect a 63 seat type of pick up like there was in 2010, which some have suggested. For starters the GOP holds more seats now than they did heading into 2010.

Heading into 2010 the Democrats also held a bunch more GOP leaning seats than they do now, in part due to Democratic gains in GOP territory in 2006 and 2008 that the GOP won back in 2010. In addition, things are even more partisan now and there are even fewer competitive districts. With that said a pickup of 30-35 seats would put a GOP majority back at the levels they were following 2010 and 2014.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:38 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:

All Democrats need is to to be less crazy than the republicans. Right now the GOP is the party of crazy.

And Ron DeSantis just destroyed his career. He’s going nowhere outside of Florida. Picking a fight with Disney is political suicide. The silent majority will reject him just like they did with trump in 2020
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies