Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2022, 07:26 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I disagree with the Disney need not apply part. It could be considered a loophole. IMO, it's a concession but also a way to put in a process to update decades long districts that may or may not be performing in accordance with the original charter or intent. This bill could be expanded to require all districts to re-certify every so many years, and that's not a bad thing really.
I think the primary purpose of the RCID was to build the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. That didn't happen.

Period review and updating of all special districts is a good thing.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:32 AM

995 posts, read 509,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The Reedy Creek district was set up so that Disney could, in effect, tax themselves more in order to build roads and other infrastructure. By eliminating the district, all that money goes away. State law says all property in a district has to be taxed at the same rate, so regular homeowners in the county will see their taxes raised considerably.
If this is true, why isn't Disney celebrating this new legislation? They'll be paying a whole lot LESS tax. It'd mean more profits for them. Gotta wonder if Disney started this fight just to get rid of this yoke around their neck.

But then again, why are investors offloading DIS stock by the boatload?

So many questions, so few answers.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:32 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Nothing like telling free enterprise to stick it. Next, the government owns everything and tells you where to live and work.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:35 AM

Another question I have, what if Orange County decides not to raise taxes, but cut services instead? Just not bother with police and fire service on Disney property. Let those roads rot - let the tourists have fun dodging those potholes. Seriously, who's gonna force the local governments to raise taxes to cover the Disney shortfall?

Old 04-22-2022, 07:37 AM

14 posts, read 4,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Disney vowed to lobby to get the Parental Rights bill overturned. They stepped into the political boxing ring, now it's time to be dinged. I'm hoping for a KO.
they were supposed to represent families. instead they turned woke and promoted transgenering preteens. sick. hope dis stock continues to freewill. my family will never return to their parks

Old 04-22-2022, 07:42 AM

Another thing too - that debt would would be transferred to the local counties, well, that could be resolved quite easily with a pay-out from the state of Florida. The state does have a nice, fat rainy-day fund of $15 billion to use for unexpected expenses.

Problem solved!

Old 04-22-2022, 10:36 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
If this is true, why isn't Disney celebrating this new legislation? They'll be paying a whole lot LESS tax. It'd mean more profits for them. Gotta wonder if Disney started this fight just to get rid of this yoke around their neck.

But then again, why are investors offloading DIS stock by the boatload?

So many questions, so few answers.
Disney would like to retain control but it would also increase taxes on the two counties, this proposal is a lose-lose.

There was no debate when it passed, no accounting to measure the impact, no input from the two counties. It was passed blindly by republicans because this is what DeSantis wanted because Disney protested his bill, no other reason.

But in the end it will be withdrawn before next year.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:47 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Another question I have, what if Orange County decides not to raise taxes, but cut services instead? Just not bother with police and fire service on Disney property. Let those roads rot - let the tourists have fun dodging those potholes. Seriously, who's gonna force the local governments to raise taxes to cover the Disney shortfall?
Good question, but:

Would Disney be prevented from fixing the roads on its own property?

Also, Orange County wouldn't have to raise taxes to take advantage of a tax windfall as they are getting new, previously untappable tax revenues in Disney's property worth hundreds of millions (if not billions). It should make for a nice increase to the country's budget.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:50 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The Reedy Creek district was set up so that Disney could, in effect, tax themselves more in order to build roads and other infrastructure. By eliminating the district, all that money goes away. State law says all property in a district has to be taxed at the same rate, so regular homeowners in the county will see their taxes raised considerably.
Disney "taxing" itself is just Disney using money from it's sales to fund the operation of its property. That money doesn't "go away," but now gets collected by the county. Also, I'd imagine that Orange County's sales tax would now apply to all purchases at Disney, which will only add to the county's tax coffers.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:56 AM

10,433 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Disney "taxing" itself is just Disney using money from it's sales to fund the operation of its property. That money doesn't "go away," but now gets collected by the county. Also, I'd imagine that Orange County's sales tax would now apply to all purchases at Disney, which will only add to the county's tax coffers.
I'm completely assuming this (based upon my experience as a CPA), but Disney was using Reddy Creek as a cost center to maximize their taxes. The state will have have the district pay their fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies