Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2022, 11:06 AM

3,278 posts, read 1,415,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Numerous conservative organizations, actually.

And the IRS formally apologized for it, so yes, it is true.
You are missing my point.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:10 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
You are missing my point.
I didn’t miss the point. At the same time, I didn’t want your post to, inadvertently or otherwise, minimize or cast any doubt on well documented, factual, historical events.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:37 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good question, but:

Would Disney be prevented from fixing the roads on its own property?

Also, Orange County wouldn't have to raise taxes to take advantage of a tax windfall as they are getting new, previously untappable tax revenues in Disney's property worth hundreds of millions (if not billions). It should make for a nice increase to the country's budget.
The Orange County Tax Collector disagrees with you, this would cause a 20% increase in property taxes.

I haven't seen a balance sheet produced by the legislature, I know they must have did a thorough analysis of the pros and cons. I know they wouldn't just pass a bill like this without careful consideration.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:40 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
SCOTUS eventually reinstated most of Trump's ban.
Thats is not true, it got shut down several times, until a completely different, reduced in scope policy was passed.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:43 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Another question I have, what if Orange County decides not to raise taxes, but cut services instead? Just not bother with police and fire service on Disney property. Let those roads rot - let the tourists have fun dodging those potholes. Seriously, who's gonna force the local governments to raise taxes to cover the Disney shortfall?
The great idea there would be that people stop coming to Disney or Disney turns more inclusive as in resorts in the DR, which means less tourists to an area that depends on tourism, sounds as appealing as a kick in the groin, I mean if you are trying to get reelected.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:45 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
So it sounds like some on here are okay to let Disney keep its self-governing status. Of course this means they’re okay with allowing such status to any big company wanting it.
States, counties and cities cut special deals all the time with Big Business to get them to move to or stay in their jurisdiction. The entire Kelo case before the SCOTUS (which is possibly the worst decision ever by SCOTUS, and that is saying A LOT) was about a city government doing back flips to get a company to move to New London.

Disney was an especially unique situation in 1967 because they owned 43 square miles of Florida and Florida badly wanted Disney to develop their land in FL. It was very insightful of the Democrat legislature and Republican governor of FL to work together to grant Disney the right to found the Reedy Creek Improvement District. That decision made 55 years ago has brought trillions of dollars in infrastructure and billions upon billions of tax revenue to FL.

Without WDW in Orlando, there is no Universal or SeaWorld, no hundreds of hotels, UCF would not be what it is and on and on. By working with TWDC, Florida turned a swampy, unpleasant area into one of the most visited spots on the planet. All that stems from the decision to create the RCID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I didn't realize Disney doesn't pay property taxes to the 2 counties it resides in. That is just wrong.
Disney does pay property tax to both Orange and Osceola counties. Over $300 million at the last report. That does include the $250 million in other taxes and revenues those counties get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
You don't seem to understand, this isn't about democrats or republicans. This is either you are against pedophilia and the grooming of children in school at a young age to be sexualized, or you are for it
This is so completely insane, one hard knows where to start. The Florida bill on age appropriate teaching about sex and sexuality had nothing to do with pedophilia or grooming children. That is a bizarre accusation appearing on only the most extreme agitation sites, the same type ones that led to a shooting at a pizza place. Sites that claim a world wide pedophilia conspiracy exist on the far right and far left and both are equally insane.

The idea that if someone is for the Reedy Creek Improvement District they are therefore in favor of pedophilia and grooming of children is so absurd and extreme that there should not need to point out how absurd and extreme it is, but when the idea is thrown out it needs to be called out.

Quote:
DeSantis is trying to extend laws that help protect our kids and Disney is against that because they have been run by pedophiles for a long time.
This is beyond merely insane, it is libelous. I hope someone sues.

Quote:
California did this to Disney and you probably had no problem with this. Florida does it and now you are all upset?
California did what to Disney?

Quote:
I thought democrats wanted corporations to pay their fare share? And mind you, Disney is one of the worst companies to work for. Low wages, no benefits unless you are at the top. And it's so expensive that the poor can never afford to go there unless they win some prize.
Have you ever worked for The Walt Disney Company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It’s not punishment. It’s equity. When you are used to privilege, and that privilege is taken away, equality seems like punishment.
It could have been argued it was equity if the FL legislature had made this move 6 months ago or any other time in the last 50 years, but it is very clearly retaliation and the bill's author explicitly said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Your attempt at branding a political opponent negatively is hilarious first "DeathSantis" (Florida had same rate of COVID as California with no lockdowns or mandates) and now you're trying a bizarre "Tax Man". Good luck with that, Florida is booming and DeSantis is about to get reelected by double digits
DeSantis has done many great things as governor, but this last action makes him seem petty and vindictive, not two qualities I like seeing in an elected leader. This combined with his actions against the cruise lines over vaccinations are not what a Conservative would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"gives the Republican four more seats" I serious DOUBT that! Disney ruled it's are like a county. Voting districts do NOT fall along country lines.
I think you misunderstand. The dissolution of the special districts and the Congressional redistricting are separate issues, but they were lumped into one bill. There are only 43 voters in the RCID's 25,000 acres.

Quote:
My county was split 4 ways in order to give the dems control when the county was growing in registered repubs. Do you study EVER redistricting in the county and comment when the dems GAIN seats? I seriously DOUBT it!
I pay very close attention to redistricting and despite the fact that CA lost House seats in the new census, they will probably add more Democrat seats in an election where Democrats will otherwise be wiped out. CA's map is pretty straight forward until you get to Orange County, which has historically been conservative, then the map is very clearly and deliberately designed to hurt Republicans and benefit Democrats through badly manipulated districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
There will be a record tax hike - on Disney, when their property is re-zoned appropriately. The tax hike could be as high as 600 million a year.
Disney owns 27,000 acres, only 7,000 acres has been developed; over 7,000 acres was set aside as permanent conservation space. The remaining 13,000 acres that have not been developed have no plans for future development and if they were rezoned as if they were, then Disney would be forced to build on the land and that isn't good for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Disney can leave then we will bulldoze the property back to farmland.
The property wasn't farmland before. It was mostly swampland. That is how early on TWDC was able to pay $80 an acre for it. People were laughing that some city slicker was going to pay them $80 for swampland. There were a few cattle pastures, but it was not working farmland. If Disney removed all the infrastructure that the RCID put in, it would quickly revert to dangerous swampland.

Quote:
"The Villages where DeSantis announced this has the same deal as Disney." Prove it.
Here are the 1,844 Special Districts in FL. You can scroll down and see the 15 or 16 Special Districts for The Villages and see what special privileges they have been granted that other property developers haven't received.

Quote:
And have to adhere to ALL the building codes, which includes rides.
The building codes and standards of the Reedy Creek Improvement District are very stringent. TWDC had and has no interest in building inferior structures and they are still covered by OSHA regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No, it doesn’t. “If you dissolved Reedy Creek, that $105 million in revenue literally goes away, it doesn’t get transferred,” Randolph said. So, where would that $105 million go?
It goes no place. Disney already pays property tax to O & & counties and that won't go up. What Disney was paying to RCID simply goes away if it no longer exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
yup, Disney is ultimately responsible for Disney's debts one way or the other.
The debt at RCID belongs to RCID, a governmental entity of the State of FL. If RID goes away, that debt is transferred to Orange or Osceola county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Disney has more than a year to re-certify the Reedy Creek Improvement District (per the actual bill text)
And they will. And they will have the support of Orange and Osceola counties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I disagree with the Disney need not apply part. It could be considered a loophole. IMO, it's a concession but also a way to put in a process to update decades long districts that may or may not be performing in accordance with the original charter or intent. This bill could be expanded to require all districts to re-certify every so many years, and that's not a bad thing really.
I am sure someone at Disney will have a quiet conversation with someone in the FL state government and depending on the outcome of the conversation, Disney will either sue in federal court or the State of Florida will reinstate RCID (before it actually goes away) quietly after the November elections, after they have the full benefit of fund raising and campaigning against the Evil Empire that generates billions in revenue for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I think the primary purpose of the RCID was to build the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. That didn't happen. Period review and updating of all special districts is a good thing.
Correct. The FL legislature and governor were very excited over the 1960's utopian ideal. The Real EPCOT was supposed to be a master planned community, which was a pretty unique idea in 1967. The original plan was for one theme park, The Magic Kingdom and the rest would be a city with residences, public transportation, a spoke & hub design, separate spaces for car and pedestrians, etc.

Walt's untimely death ended those place, but TWDC still inverted trillions into FL and inspired other trillions of development. Florida got what it wanted.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:01 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think DeSantis is acting like a petulant adolescent. Those who voice disagreement with his pronouncements should look out for penalizing legislation? Is that good government?

It sounds more to me like schoolyard stuff.
This is much bigger than personal feelings, which you seem to be implying. Walt Disney created a national and international treasure of a magic place and entertainment that children could revel in, and parents could totally feel comfortable with their kids experiencing. That was back in the day when there wasn't even 5% of the leftist rubbish going on like it is today.

Now we have Disney executives so brazen that they admit what many of us (who were called crazy, homophobic, tin hat wearing kooks) knew about the homosexual agenda. Not rumors mind you, but actual video footage of them bragging about trying to insert it in their advertising.

So if FL decided to give Walt Disney special considerations for creating a wholesome treasure in FL that people from all over the world could come and enjoy, why not take back said privileges for turning Disney into a leftist propaganda company trying to brainwash children about their abnormal sexual rubbish.

While you are at it, please explain (if you can), why you think teaches should be able (or even want to) discuss sex, gender dysphoria, and cross dressing to kindergarten age children?

Old 04-22-2022, 12:12 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Another question I have, what if Orange County decides not to raise taxes, but cut services instead? Just not bother with police and fire service on Disney property. Let those roads rot - let the tourists have fun dodging those potholes. Seriously, who's gonna force the local governments to raise taxes to cover the Disney shortfall?
I was wondering this a few days ago on this thread- before news articles came out about potential taxhike on Orange and Osceola taxpayers. At minimum Orange and Osceola would want to provide EMS. Say Reedy Creek EMS couldn't respond to a heat exhaustion /heart attack Disney World guest, and Orange or Osceola are too busy with calls for regular homeowners/taxpayers out in the county, and Disney tourist dies, that ain't a good deal for the tourist or Orange or Osceola. The news media would have a field day on something like that also- though the death and tragedy to their family would be the obvious shame. I think they'd have to at least cover EMS and Fire.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Thats is not true, it got shut down several times, until a completely different, reduced in scope policy was passed.

No, you're just flat out lying. The order was upheld almost entirely. Tell us what you think was in the EO that was not upheld? The "Muslim Ban 3.0" that was upheld was actually stronger than the original. "Like the previous versions, the new ban blocks travel to the United States from six predominantly Muslim countries and now also includes North Koreans and certain Venezuelan government officials. "

The United States' Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld President Donald Trump’s travel ban targeting several Muslim-majority countries, handing him one of the biggest victories of his presidency so far, rejecting the argument that it represented unconstitutional religious discrimination.

The 5-4 ruling, with the court's five conservatives in the majority, ended a fierce battle in the courts over whether or not the policy amounted to an unlawful Muslim ban. Lower courts had blocked the travel ban announced in September, as well as two prior versions, in legal challenges brought by the state of Hawaii and others.

The court held that the challengers had failed to show that the ban violates either US immigration law or the US Constitution's First Amendment prohibition on the government favouring one religion over another.

Writing for the court, Chief Justice John Roberts said that the government "has set forth a sufficient national security justification" to prevail.
"We express no view on the soundness of the policy," Roberts added.

The ruling affirmed broad presidential discretion over who is allowed to enter the United States, meaning that the current ban can remain in effect and that Trump could potentially add more countries.
The current ban prohibits entry into the United States of most people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen. The Supreme Court allowed it to go largely into effect in December while legal challenges continued.

Roberts said the actions taken by Trump to suspend entry of certain classes of people were "well within executive authority and could have been taken by any other president - the only question is evaluating the actions of this particular president in promulgating an otherwise valid proclamation".

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/u...mps-muslim-ban

In depth timeline.
https://aclu-wa.org/pages/timeline-muslim-ban

Old 04-22-2022, 12:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
I was wondering this a few days ago on this thread- before news articles came out about potential taxhike on Orange and Osceola taxpayers. At minimum Orange and Osceola would want to provide EMS. Say Reedy Creek EMS couldn't respond to a heat exhaustion /heart attack Disney World guest, and Orange or Osceola are too busy with calls for regular homeowners/taxpayers out in the county, and Disney tourist dies, that ain't a good deal for the tourist or Orange or Osceola. The news media would have a field day on something like that also- though the death and tragedy to their family would be the obvious shame. I think they'd have to at least cover EMS and Fire.

Theme parks and large events all over the world routinely provided onsite emergency services for their guests. If there were a death onsite it would be Disney not the county with the bad image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies