Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2022, 04:40 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is it possible there is less than meets the eye to all of this? That this is more symbolic than substantial? That the status quo will remain essentially the same?
"Less than meets the eye", yeah. But not necessarily "status quo".

Disney can and will reapply for a special district and it will be granted in accordance with current laws. But I suspect there are going to be significant differences that better align them with their competitors.

Old 04-22-2022, 05:10 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
But how much of that would the county actually be responsible for maintaining? What vehicles are driving around Disney on a large scale? How many fires are needing to be put out at Disney on an annual basis that would necessitate a substantial increase in county fire services funding? County maintains public roads and the such. The county won't be maintaining the bulk of Disney. As private property, the county wouldn't even have the right to patrol Disney with police services without Disney's permission, though I'd imagine that Disney would continue contracting with the county sheriff to provide certain services (in addition to the private Disney security force).

Color me skeptical.

Without actually showing his numbers, the county tax collector is not very reputable. If the county cannot tell me what services Disney pays for that the county would actually have to provide for, then he sounds like he's spewing hot air. Problem with what the county tax collector is he hasn't even examined Disney's books thoroughly I'd wager to make such claims as he does.

In any event, as I've stated also, it seems rich for a county that has collected billions of dollars from Disney over the decades in property taxes to cry about the prospect of actually having to provide services to its largest taxpayer
All good questions but fire departments aren't paid by the fire and neither of us has any idea what sanitation, road repair and other things cost. This should have been documented before they voted to dissolve the district and that should have been documented by the legislature.

Here is the disclosure by Disney as to what they pay in taxes. Florida is a weird state when it comes to taxes, Tourist Taxes and pretty much everything under the sun is taxed to keep real estate and income taxes low, so real estate taxes are not the issue. These special districts are complicated and it is rather strange, I'm not in favor of special districts but if they are to be dissolved it should be for the right reasons, not political retaliation.

Developers have a license to steal in Florida and they are doing their best to destroy a beautiful state, if he had gone after them because they circumvented environmental laws i would have supported.

https://www.disneyeveryday.com/find-...636a299c775102

Old 04-22-2022, 05:28 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Disney's debt has been downgraded. Oops.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:26 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
As I mentioned in the post that you quoted, I have come across articles showing that Disney pays property taxes.
You "agreed to accept for arguments sake" that they did pay taxes. I provided a reputable source that beyond question they do.

Quote:
What's the point? The county isn't going to somehow start paying for electricity, water, sewage, utilities, and roads for private property. Disney is still going to pay for that. What public roadways are there on at Disney World that is going to cost the county all of that money the assessor is screaming about?
I am not sure how it is you are not understanding this. Orange County would not be paying for Disney's power, water, sewage, roads, etc, they have to PROVIDE Disney's power, water, sewage, roads, etc. They will not be getting tax dollars from Disney above and beyond what they are now to provide that. Disney will pay bills for that, just like they do now, but that won't be enough to meet the expenses.

Quote:
But, fundamentally, so what? What responsibility would the county have to pay to upkeep roads on completely private property? From what I'm reading, the county doesn't not generally maintain private property roads and the such:
Did you even bother to read your own link? The article very clearly referred to "open non-maintained and unopened unimproved rights of way". The roads in Disney World are open, they are improved and they are maintained.

Quote:
That seems to be keeping in practice generally when it comes to private property. Unless the roads and the such at Disney World are somehow public roads, which I highly, highly doubt
These are public roads, maintained and improved by a government agency, the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a state of Florida governmental agency. Here is World Drive at WDW.

https://goo.gl/maps/gxNSSUKV9nfTHYzS8

See that "50 MPH" speed limit sign? Traffic laws on the roads in WDW are enforced by Orange & Osceola county sheriffs. The roads are also patrolled by Florida Highway Patrol.

The two counties will have to take over the maintenance of the 134 miles of roadway and 67 miles of water ways that RCID now takes care of.

Quote:
I never claimed that the county receives billions of dollars annually. I specifically mentioned billions over the decades, which is absolutely correct.
I doubt the total property taxes received by the counties even exceeds $1 billion, and it is property taxes we are talking about. Whatever other taxes and fees TWDC incurs and pays are not effected by the RCID.

Quote:
All in all, this seems to be government at the county level complaining about actually having to provide services (or more services) in exchange for taxes collected that it otherwise didn't have to do in the past. This is a bad or "unfair" thing why?
Orange County will have to assume duties over an area almost twice the size of Manhattan overnight. That will not be easy or inexpensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
You are aware that Sea World, Busch Gardens, and Universal don't have that type of privilege right? Floridians will be just fine, especially if it means saving the children and their innocence.
You are aware that SeaWorld and Universal both get tax breaks right? And special treatment that other businesses and individuals don't get, right? Busch Gardens and Legoland are not in Orange or Osceola counties, so they are completely unaffected by any of this.

Quote:
DeSantis is the best thing to happen to Florida, and is the reason I'm most likely moving there soon. Even MSNBC is finally admitting he got the COVID lock down right, and praised him for Florida's strong economy. The only people who will be truly upset about this, are people like you who think it's OK to groom children.
You keep repeating this completely insane mantra, which has nothing to do with the issues at hand.

I object to heavy handed government, who uses power to abuse and punish companies or individuals it feels threaten it in some way. Perhaps you will believe the National Review, the magazine for Conservatives. Read "Ron DeSantis' Misguided Attack On Disney". The article is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
All good questions but fire departments aren't paid by the fire and neither of us has any idea what sanitation, road repair and other things cost. This should have been documented before they voted to dissolve the district and that should have been documented by the legislature.
I do. You can too. The costs are laid out in great detail by the Reedy Creek Improvement District. As a governmental agency, every thing they do is transparent. You can go HERE and read their annual budget with revenue and expenses, in detail. It is 21 griping pages of drama.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:34 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
desantis interview on tucker

Old 04-22-2022, 06:35 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
School boards are perfectly capable of holding teachers accountable if they violate school standards and by the way school boards are elected by parents. I don't read anything so wide spread and out of control that it requires politicians to intervene.

Videos on social media aren't the best way to address problems, parents can voice their concerns to the administrators. Posting videos on social media rather than formal complaints are senseless.
School boards are voted on by the registered voters who make the effort to vote.

And "videos on social media" aren't the parents making videos in this case. It's public meetings but moreso LibsofTikTok (and I don't think you're this stupid, but there could be many others not on Twitter) takes videos posted by "Liberals" and tweet them out.

Should LoTT tone down some of their commentary? Sure. But they aren't creating, editing, or misrepresenting when they copy/paste a video.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:39 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Tax increase on Orange County residents to be catastrophic. DeSantis is the tax man

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...n2a-story.html
the playbook is strong with this one

Old 04-22-2022, 06:56 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
They deserve every bit of this punishment. Just because you create entertainment for families and children, doesn't mean you can have Mickey pop into the homes of Americans, and tell them how to raise their kids. It doesn't give them the right to dictate what laws go into power. Last time I checked, Disney creates shows, movies, theme parks, and merchandise. They're not involved in politics.
Citizens United. Disney has a voice in politics if they choose to use it. I suspect they’re about to really use it.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You "agreed to accept for arguments sake" that they did pay taxes. I provided a reputable source that beyond question they do.

I am not sure how it is you are not understanding this. Orange County would not be paying for Disney's power, water, sewage, roads, etc, they have to PROVIDE Disney's power, water, sewage, roads, etc. They will not be getting tax dollars from Disney above and beyond what they are now to provide that. Disney will pay bills for that, just like they do now, but that won't be enough to meet the expenses.

Did you even bother to read your own link? The article very clearly referred to "open non-maintained and unopened unimproved rights of way". The roads in Disney World are open, they are improved and they are maintained.

These are public roads, maintained and improved by a government agency, the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a state of Florida governmental agency. Here is World Drive at WDW.

https://goo.gl/maps/gxNSSUKV9nfTHYzS8

See that "50 MPH" speed limit sign? Traffic laws on the roads in WDW are enforced by Orange & Osceola county sheriffs. The roads are also patrolled by Florida Highway Patrol.

The two counties will have to take over the maintenance of the 134 miles of roadway and 67 miles of water ways that RCID now takes care of.

I doubt the total property taxes received by the counties even exceeds $1 billion, and it is property taxes we are talking about. Whatever other taxes and fees TWDC incurs and pays are not effected by the RCID.

Orange County will have to assume duties over an area almost twice the size of Manhattan overnight. That will not be easy or inexpensive.

You are aware that SeaWorld and Universal both get tax breaks right? And special treatment that other businesses and individuals don't get, right? Busch Gardens and Legoland are not in Orange or Osceola counties, so they are completely unaffected by any of this.

You keep repeating this completely insane mantra, which has nothing to do with the issues at hand.

I object to heavy handed government, who uses power to abuse and punish companies or individuals it feels threaten it in some way. Perhaps you will believe the National Review, the magazine for Conservatives. Read "Ron DeSantis' Misguided Attack On Disney". The article is spot on.

I do. You can too. The costs are laid out in great detail by the Reedy Creek Improvement District. As a governmental agency, every thing they do is transparent. You can go HERE and read their annual budget with revenue and expenses, in detail. It is 21 griping pages of drama.

I’m willing to bet Disney and Orange County are probably the economic driver for the state of Florida. It likely brings in the most tourist revenue out of anywhere else.

That said Democrats control most of the major offices in Orange County. They are probably shocked that DeSantis is this dumb. He literally gave them the baseball bat to beat him with. What a gift to the Democrats.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:22 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is it possible there is less than meets the eye to all of this? That this is more symbolic than substantial? That the status quo will remain essentially the same?
Absolutely not. It's a massive change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies