Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 08:39 AM

28,593 posts, read 18,629,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Like even several of their generals have been killed LOL. It just seems like if they didn't have any nukes they'd be a very easy nation to invade and destroy.
Except for Russian winters.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:43 AM

28,593 posts, read 18,629,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
One thing I don't understand watching from videos is having columns of tanks just driving down the highway. Like, doesn't that just SCREAM "I'M AN EASY TARGET! SHOOT ME!!! SHOOT ME!!!:"?
Highly frustrating scene to American A-10 pilots.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:21 AM

8,412 posts, read 6,791,106 times
Think traditionally going back to WWII troops were mostly half trained conscripts just mindlessly thrown against the enemy.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:01 AM

910 posts, read 1,074,323 times
This is what I have noticed and discussed on other websites with American Combat Veterans. This also includes first hand accounts from foreign volunteers who are active on social media.

1. Poor equipment maintenance- Reports of vehicles with severely dry rotted tires. I've seen pictures and video of Rus vehicles broken down on the side of the road with shredded tires. Tanks that have the wrong types of tracks installed, tracks with rubber inserts that are intended for road use being used to cross open countryside. No mechanics. Lots of pictures of Rus vehicles with their engine panels open, or hoods up, abandoned along the wrong due to breakdowns.

2. Poor tactics- Vehicles attempting to cross a muddy field with dozens stuck. Tons of pictures of tanks buried in soft mud. Videos showing convoys stopped due to a collapsed building in the way, then trying to back out. Not changing the angle or direction of attack from aircraft, allowing Ukr personnel to deploy MPAD. I saw a video where Rus helicopters came in and attacked from the same direction multiple times, over a 30 to 45 min period.

3. Poor supplies- One of the Americans fighting there commented that when they kill Rus infantry and check the bodies, almost everyone of them doesn't have any ammo or food on them. He said it is very rare to find anything of use. He also said that the Rus infantry doesn't stray too far from their vehicles, which it seems is where they keep their supplies. So if you hit the vehicle first, the infantry have nothing. Lots of stories about the Rus being issued old rations. Another American commented that all of the rifles they have recovered from fallen Rus infantry have all had iron sights, and that the Rus infantry teams had zero night vision capability.

You add in all of this and it's easy to see why Rus has been struggling so far. They have pretty much relied on long distance bombardment to do most of the work for them. When they do get into a firefight, they rely too much on their armored vehicles. It makes them easy targets. I just watched a video where 2 Rus tanks were defending a road. There weren't any other vehicles or infantry around. The Ukr infantry hit the first tank with an anti armor weapon and set it on fire. The second tank shot in a random direction and tried to back up before it was hit. They never even saw what hit them. I don't even know what purpose they were serving by being there.

One other note, it's not Ukr propaganda to talk and comment on these videos. Not a single person is sitting here and thinking that Ukr isn't taking heavy losses. We know they are. I'm still going to cheer on the little guy.

Old 04-22-2022, 02:21 PM

13,586 posts, read 9,618,420 times
Ever since the early 1980s, American culture has veered towards veneration and admiration for its military, for the people who fight in it, and the social pillars that support it. The direction in the Soviet Union, and later in Russia, has been precisely the reverse. In an era when most institutions are questioned with skepticism, if not utterly panned, the military enjoys in America a reputation for professionalism, camaraderie, competence, and probity. Russia, for all of its centuries of citizens’ dependency on rigid institutions and on hierarchy of power and bureaucracy, views its military as ossified, corrupt and hapless. It ranks near the bottom of the social hierarchy. Memories of collective sacrifice and ultimate victory in WW2 remain, but the veneration for THAT military is reserved for the great-grandparents who fought in it.

Ironic, isn’t it, how an individualistic, capitalistic democracy regards its military warmly, while a collectivist, authoritarian country with no tradition of respect for property or individual rights, put its military in the gutter.

Everything follows from the disparity in attitudes. In America, the military leads development of technologies. It attracts some of the best technical minds. In Russia, the military is a kind of prison or juvenile-delinquency camp. Only those who can’t find better options, or can’t afford to pay bribes, end up as conscripts… and even those get out, as soon as possible. In the Russian system, the military is basically set up to fail, despite individual heroism or situational creativity of combatants, or the genius of engineers who designed the weapons. The resources, the morale, the very basis of culture are simply not there.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:41 PM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Well, first of all, you are watching too much Ukrainian propaganda. As Gen. Hodges, I believe, has said, Ukraine is winning the war on Twitter, not in real life. We are all supporting the brave Ukrainians, but let's not forget the reality.

Unfortunately, Ukraine has no path to victory. Putin cannot afford to lose the war, or he won't survive. He will reduce Ukraine to ruins, if it comes to that. What sucks, in your words, is not the entire military, but the way the war has been planned and executed, with attacks on all fronts without securing proper logistics to support such a spread-out force.

Yes, the Russian military doctrine seems to have been stuck in the WWII, and their military shows the superiority of well-trained American volunteer force over the conscription-based poor Russian model.

What doesn't suck is the Russian weapons. Kalashnikov is the most popular automatic in the world. Whatever else they could steal in the West, they simplified and tried to improve.

What does suck in their training and morale. They are the invaders, after all.
Ukraine is winning in terms of what they can hope to accomplish.

Holding Kyiv (don't give me this "Russia wasn't trying for it BS") shows that.

They're taking a beating. Their only hope is to inflict a sufficient beating on Russia to win some peace.

Now the narrative from Russia has changed to "we want a corridor to crimea" essentially re-setting the goals of the campaign to something the can do with brute force.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:45 PM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Ever since the early 1980s, American culture has veered towards veneration and admiration for its military, for the people who fight in it, and the social pillars that support it. The direction in the Soviet Union, and later in Russia, has been precisely the reverse. In an era when most institutions are questioned with skepticism, if not utterly panned, the military enjoys in America a reputation for professionalism, camaraderie, competence, and probity. Russia, for all of its centuries of citizens’ dependency on rigid institutions and on hierarchy of power and bureaucracy, views its military as ossified, corrupt and hapless. It ranks near the bottom of the social hierarchy. Memories of collective sacrifice and ultimate victory in WW2 remain, but the veneration for THAT military is reserved for the great-grandparents who fought in it.

Ironic, isn’t it, how an individualistic, capitalistic democracy regards its military warmly, while a collectivist, authoritarian country with no tradition of respect for property or individual rights, put its military in the gutter.

Everything follows from the disparity in attitudes. In America, the military leads development of technologies. It attracts some of the best technical minds. In Russia, the military is a kind of prison or juvenile-delinquency camp. Only those who can’t find better options, or can’t afford to pay bribes, end up as conscripts… and even those get out, as soon as possible. In the Russian system, the military is basically set up to fail, despite individual heroism or situational creativity of combatants, or the genius of engineers who designed the weapons. The resources, the morale, the very basis of culture are simply not there.
In other words, when you have a country where many of the best, brightest and most motivated are trying to LEAVE it creates a morale and talent vacuum.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:30 PM

439 posts, read 288,164 times
Do you think Putin even cares how many of his people are dying, even his generals and the like?

Old 04-23-2022, 01:52 AM

2,596 posts, read 2,293,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
They have no NCO corps.
Their military leaders need to use force to get the job done.
They conscript all men between age 18 and 27 for a single year.
No one can be trained to be effective in the military in 12 months and if they become effective at that 12th month their time is up and the military has to start all over again with new green recruits.
They have graft and cheating by contractors that provide the equipment.
They do not know what PMCS means,
I read they don't have a NCO corps as well but I don't understand how as they have sergeants like we do. They also have warrant officers.

I didn't know their conscripts only needed to serve one year. I wonder why they don't have them serve longer than that, or offer decent bonuses for those who are willing to say on, if that isn't currently the case.

How should training be for infantrymen, tankers, artillery soldiers, etc?

Old 04-23-2022, 02:29 AM

2,596 posts, read 2,293,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
...Unfortunately, Ukraine has no path to victory. Putin cannot afford to lose the war, or he won't survive. He will reduce Ukraine to ruins, if it comes to that. What sucks, in your words, is not the entire military, but the way the war has been planned and executed, with attacks on all fronts without securing proper logistics to support such a spread-out force...
If Putin loses the war, he won't survive his job as leader of Russia, or he won't survive his life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies