Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 12:25 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Those are fantasy movies. This is actually trying to be a serious movie.
Have you seen it?
I am at least open minded enough to give it a shot. I think today we have seen big changes in gender roles (just talking man and woman). More educated women, more women in the workforce. We are also seeing more fathers taking a greater role in child care. At the same time we are still seeing a lot of old attitudes towards working mothers, careers, pay, promotions, daycare and issues being faced by working families parents. Im hoping this show addresses that in a serious manner. Maybe I'm very wrong, if it turns out to be woke and political I'll just not watch it.

I think sometimes people can get their knickers in such a twist over a hint of an idea it cuts off oxygen to the mind and they cant see a bigger picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 12:28 PM

6,022 posts, read 2,843,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
That's like hurling your opinion of a restaurant's food on Yelp even though you refuse to try the food or have never eaten at the restaurant. It's dumb, but sure, feel free to comment.
No, it is not. I have only discussed the premise, not the intimate details of the story line. And, of course, I read all about the premise in the article I linked in my original post.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:32 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Sure, discuss away. Make sure you watch the film first before commenting so you at least have substance to draw on. Do you comment and write all your grievances about books you've never read too?
It's entirely reasonable for people not to like something based upon the synopsis.

That being said, I have a hard time be upset by something that nobody is being forced to watch.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:34 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Sure, discuss away. Make sure you watch the film first before commenting so you at least have substance to draw on. Do you comment and write all your grievances about books you've never read too?

I would say watching it would be necessary if I were reviewing it but I'm not. I'm discussing the social ramification of the topic, not the execution of the film making.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:39 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's fiction. Men will never be able to be pregnant. Seems like it's been only recently where the term "equity" has denoted a negative connotation. That's a shame.
That's what happens when a word is weaponized and applied in ways unlike the words meaning.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:43 PM

10,089 posts, read 7,763,936 times
We could at any time be in a nuclear war. Do the left care? Heck no. They have pronouns and pregnant men to shout out about. WOKEy Tokey lefties have lost their minds. Just like CNN, they are going down in 2022...can't wait.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:59 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
What type of a wacko would watch this?

Jesus H. Christ.

I doubt even Jesus H. Christ would watch this.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:20 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
What type of a wacko would watch this?

Jesus H. Christ.
Guess you have no sense of humor. Someone already pointed out the movie Junior, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger:

The film follows Alex Hesse, an Austrian-American scientist who agrees to undergo a male pregnancy from a newly developed drug.

There also was a movie called Switch:

"Steve Brooks is a sexist and the prototype macho. Unfortunately one day he is killed by one of his girlfriends. In heaven, though, there is no place for men like him and he is sent back to earth in the body of a woman so that he can see how women are treated by men like the one he once was."

Then there was Tootsie, a big hit starring Dustin Hoffman:

"The film tells the story of a talented but volatile actor whose reputation for being difficult drives him to adopt a new identity as a woman to land a job"

A somewhat different twist was Thirteen going on Thirty:

"It follows a 13-year-old girl who dreams of being popular. During her birthday party, she is humiliated by her classmates and wishes that she was 30 years old. Shortly after wishing this, she awakens, 30 years old and in 2004, uncertain how she got there."

Really these are all part of a long line in the same genre. The Parent Trap. The Prince and the Pauper. Someone has to walk in someone else's shoes to understand what it's like.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:39 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Have you seen it?
I am at least open minded enough to give it a shot. I think today we have seen big changes in gender roles (just talking man and woman). More educated women, more women in the workforce. We are also seeing more fathers taking a greater role in child care. At the same time we are still seeing a lot of old attitudes towards working mothers, careers, pay, promotions, daycare and issues being faced by working families parents. Im hoping this show addresses that in a serious manner. Maybe I'm very wrong, if it turns out to be woke and political I'll just not watch it.

I think sometimes people can get their knickers in such a twist over a hint of an idea it cuts off oxygen to the mind and they cant see a bigger picture.
Yes, a movie in which the poster is one of a man with a distended belly implying he's pregnant is trying to be "serious."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:45 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
We could at any time be in a nuclear war. Do the left care? Heck no. They have pronouns and pregnant men to shout out about. WOKEy Tokey lefties have lost their minds. Just like CNN, they are going down in 2022...can't wait.
Same arguement could be used against those of us posting on an internet discussion forum.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 04-21-2022 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies