Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 11:38 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Can you imagine what the reaction would be if Trump gave a speech calling for censorship of left-wing misinformation and lies on social media?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 01:22 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It was an interesting but typical speech by a Democrat. He started off by saying he believes in Free speech BUT... it should be censored to protect you. It was kind of like Joe talking about guns. He likes guns and respects the Second amendment BUT.. Ghost guns frighten him and we need to restrict your Rights to protect you. You know it is for the children...

Listening to Obama give that speech I was reminded just how smug he is, and those long............................ ( you can't see me but I'm looking around the room)........................ pauses........................... (for emphasis.. for you know theatrics)..................... are maddening. JUST SPIT IT OUT MAN !
Once people get past Obama's superficial charm there isn't a damn thing he says that I really can buy. I didnt really realize just how much he pushed racial division at the time but looking back he was horrible in that regard. When those Dallas police officers were gunned down he basically said they had it coming, not in so many words but it was in there.

This misinformation speech he just gave is nothing but a primer to get people used to the idea of speech control all under the guise of safety.

F that guy x 1000.

Old 04-24-2022, 02:09 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ebook-twitter/

We have a former president who is actively trying to increase censorship and shut down free expression in the digital public square. We warned you!
He's a Marxist, and he hates everything this country stands for and that should be obvious to all by now.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:08 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What is the "government involvement with platforms such as Google, FB, Twitter" that you speak of? Give us an example.

How are they not private entities? Meta (facebook) is owned by shareholders. Mark Zuckerberg has a big chunk, but the majority of stock is institutionally owned (mutual funds, etc). How does government control facebook?

https://medium.com/insurge-intellige...e-e836451a959e

https://qz.com/1145669/googles-true-...-surveillance/
https://katehon.com/en/article/twitt...ernative-views
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tion-user-data
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-a...tion_b_4824854
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...h=532b3c966f01
https://www.infoworld.com/article/26...-products.html

Old 04-25-2022, 05:14 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Koch brothers is a private company. They only have to answer to themselves, and maybe the handful of people they have allowed to invest in their company, but even them, not really.
I'm aware -- but it's not really relevant to the discussion of "private businesses" getting purchased with regularity, is it?

Old 04-25-2022, 05:43 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
As others have said don't use those platforms if they do things you don't agree with. I know lots of conservatives who complain about this stuff and yet I see them on facebook every day like their lives depended on it. Every time you are on there scrolling around you have making FB money. Same thing with every other platform.

If enough people cancelled their FB accounts the stock would crash and either they would change or some other platform would move up who does not pull that crap. Looked what happened to Netflix with a projected 1% decrease in subscriptions.

But if you are not willing to walk the walk, don't bother talking the talk.

Or we could do what we can to make FB/Twitter/Youtube better places.

It's like when people say they don't like the way America is going and the immediate response is "then leave". I don't agree with that sentiment either as it is simply a way of saying "Well, I LIKE the way it is going so go pound sand". That's not how democracies should work.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
AI bots already screen comments. Not sure if they do here but on the larger social media platforms they do. I do want to see a clamp down on misinformation. I do think it is eroding democracy in the US and probably elsewhere. Honestly, forums like this should be shut down. Although, most here are just bored, trolling, bored, LOL. OK, I got to get to work. Cheers.

That assumes "information" is some indisputable monolithic thing. It's not. It only appears that way when when you agree with its narrative.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:48 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
He's a Marxist, and he hates everything this country stands for and that should be obvious to all by now.
Started as a community leader and was an empty suit as President, now raking in millions and building his dynasty like Biden. Neither care about the people or the country and neither have leadership qualities.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:49 AM

1,936 posts, read 823,949 times
The only way we can have a serious conversation about internet "moderation" is if we all agree on what it means.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Obama is entirely correct. Only Congress can violate the First Amendment.

Which they do when they provide what is acceptable "free speech" to private entities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies