Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 05:15 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times

Advertisements

Did it happen under Reagan or was it before? We are so quick to do whatever any corporate sociopath executive or lifelong politican tells us to in record numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 05:41 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Everyone has to pick their battles. You fight one or two things you don't approve of, and comply with the rest.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:43 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
The easily controlled people you’re talking about are liberals, not Americans.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:46 PM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
somewhere along the line we stopped seeing our elected as representatives and started looking at them as leaders meant to solve all of our plights. i blame schools and parents for not educating our young on the american founding and what makes America different from many other places. we are constantly fed nonsense of utopian european countries smaller than new jersey and how perfect existence is there. our young have fools to look up to like professional athletes with the intellectual power of an ant, and celebrities like the kartrashians. we listen to beta males like john legend and charlie puth. Ask young people what is the most important issue to them they will say climate change which is a moving target that no one will ever get a handle on, and completely ignore China and keep advocating for shipping jobs there so they can buy their cheap tchotchkes brought over on petroleum powered vessels. we have become a society of over privileged people who lack critical thinking skills.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:01 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
When are politicians sold us out to China. Before China, we opposed doing business with countries who ignored the civil rights of their people, so maybe what we have now is some kind of karma happening.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/01/...-china-s-human

"This advisory warns U.S. businesses, individuals, academic institutions, service providers, investors and others that choose to operate in Xinjiang or engage with entities that use labor or goods from Xinjiang will face reputational, economic, and legal risks associated with certain types of involvement with entities that engage in human rights abuses."

I think this supporting civil rights violations has put us in the trouble that we are in financially as a country. I once saw a documentary where workers in China were begging US citizens to complain about the conditions that they were working under. They slept on cots in the factories, young people whose future would probably get no better.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:20 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
More importantly, why does anyone give this thread any weight as a reasonable or factual?

Old 04-23-2022, 06:35 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Much of the blame is American culture's uncritical glorification of social dominance traits: power, strength, thick-skin, monetary success, and (in the case of women) beauty or at least fitness. We easily forget that people with these traits are every bit as able to commit bad, even evil, acts as good ones. In fact, they're if anything more capable of doing bad to others or to society than are the powerless, timid, sensitive, unsuccessful, and unattractive or unfit. Add to that a huge scoop of Social Darwinism and frankly crude understandings of free will/personal responsibility and you have all the ingredients needed for a "me-centered" society with the attitude "I got mine and to hell with everybody else!".

By the same token, we tend to over-scorn people who lack social dominance traits: powerlessness, weakness, sensitivity, low success, unattractiveness and unfitness. None of those traits signal a deliberate effort to (or conscious willful indifference about) non-defensively hurt, harm, or demean others. Ignoring the pleas of the less fortunate, if long-lasting or callous enough, will transform this nation into another Brazil or South Africa at best and an outright violent revolutionary hellhole at worst. That is why lean, mean, predatory, cutthroat fighting machine societies do not prosper in the long run.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:43 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
When the left hijacked the government.

I think that was FDR. Liberals ruin everything they touch.

Newsflash: the Government can't put a chicken in your pot. We're lucky to not have the Government steal a chicken out of your pot then come back to smash your now empty pot.

Last edited by albert648; 04-23-2022 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-23-2022, 06:59 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Did it happen under Reagan or was it before? We are so quick to do whatever any corporate sociopath executive or lifelong politican tells us to in record numbers.
We??? Speak for yourself.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:18 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
I dunno.

But I never thought Americans would be so quick to sit down, mask up and lock down without question as they've done the last couple of years. I honestly never saw that coming.

I've thought a lot about it though - and my conclusion is that Trump broke the left ... and badly. The left wanted so badly to listen to anyone who wasn't Trump that when the CDC and Fauci said to jump, they said "how high?" And jumped ... over and over again.

People are morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies