Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 AM

564 posts, read 815,211 times

Advertisements

Here is my question..

How much longer are we and the rest of the civilized world going to watch 3rd world countries suffer? I understand you have to help yourself and the world has to figure it out on their own but it is getting ridiculous. Children in Africa are dying of diseases that can easily be cured in any modern civilized country around the world. The Burma situation and their barbaric government is absurd. The disaster in China could have been much less severe if they had just the basic sense of mechanical engineering that the civilized world enjoys.

I'm not saying the United States should colonize the rest of the world. Although I guarantee many of the people suffering in these 3rd world countries would welcome that with open arms. But I do think it's time for the modern civilized world to do something about these 3rd world nations and their barbaric leaders.

Yes, we do have a moral obligation. If you are a big strong kid in school and you see a little pip squeek getting picked on by a bully do you sit by and watch? It's not your fight, why jump in? Because you have the resources to do so. That's how I look at the civilized world. We have the resources. Our take-home sacks from the dinner the night before typically rot in our fridge while children all across the world die of hunger. Our doctors are building artificial hearts while theirs struggle to cure measles. How much longer are we going to sit and watch these people suffer? It's not fair to their children.

The politically correct view is just leave them alone. They have their own culture and who's to say our culture is better than theirs. Well, when you have innocent children dying of diseases that we can easily cure and when you have natural disasters that kill hundreds of thousands due to their lack of knowledge of basic technologies, it's time to make a change.

I don't know what the solution is. I would like to see all the nations in the U.N. overthrow the dictators around the world. Then the youth around the world need to be educated so these 3rd world countries have a steady supply of medical professionals, engineers and scientists.

There isn't a simple quick fix but we can't sit idly by any longer and watch these 3rd world countries suffer while we look to solve complex problems for our societies. It's time for all modern nations to fulfill their moral obligations and lend a hand.... yes cowardly Europe, that means you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 06:50 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
That line of thinking is one of the reasons we are currently embroiled in Iraq.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Sounds like an attempt at one world government, and we all know how the attempts at this have faired in the past.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:18 AM

As you watch the devastation in Burma and China on your big screen television, I hope you are as comfortable as possible.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:19 AM

I never said take over the world.. just help the world help themselves.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:24 AM

The thing is, you are assuming that forceful "intervention" (the nature of which is not defined) would make things "better."

All I can say is, that's one hell of an assumption.

You are taking a worldview where we have some sort of unlimited, untapped power to simply set things right where things are currently wrong.

That takes a lot more faith in the competence, far-sightedness, and planning ability of the US government than I would be comfortable giving.

What you are talking about is a form of utopianism. Utopianism in practice hasn't fared so well throughout history.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
I dont recall very many instances where we have sat back and watched the rest of the world suffer.. Please list just ONE example...

Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Please list just ONE example...
Oh, we've done it a few times. For instance, enlisting the Montagnards in Vietnam and Laos to help us out militarily at great personal expense, then abandoning them to their fate after pulling out of the war (and not bringing them along with us). Or perhaps George Bush Sr.'s call for the Shiites of southern Iraq to rise up against Saddam, to be followed by American assistance...

The US does do a lot of very good, charitable work around the world. But every record has some bleak spots we'd rather forget.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:45 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
In Burma -- the help was there, they refused (and are still refusing) to allow anything or anyone other then food in. Thousands die, and will die of disease. What more can we do? Invade? Hope the citizenry of Burma will help us overthrow its government? It cannot, and will not happen.

As far as China, where do you get the idea that they are a third world country? That they do not have access to engineering? Please! The state of their infrastructure is not what it is through lack of education, it is that way through their governments policy. Again, what can we do? Declare war on China? Are you nuts!? Instead of creating a utopia, it would be a world war so destructive, I really don't know that anyone anywhere would survive it.

All we can do as a country is offer our help and hope the country in need takes us up on it.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
We have become a nation of so-called "do-gooders." We are on a mission, like Mrs. Jellyby for the natives of Borrioboola-Gha in Charles Dickens’s novel Bleak House, to make the world a better place - at least to our own liking. We have become the organizers, the proselytizers, the subsidizers of the new Utopia. We pledge to toil ceaselessly and tirelessly for the cause - civic, social, charitable - all for the greater good; or at least what we perceive to be the greater good. We are the spreaders of democracy, Christianity and aid to the poor, the oppressed, the unbaptized.

But are we really doing any good? Can democracy be imposed on a people, however oppressed? Is Christ’s message the only answer? Does aid really help the impoverished sustain themselves, or only grind them into dependency? Are we not doing more harm than good? Must we kill them in order to save them?

God save the world - before we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies