Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 04:38 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Apparently only six states allow food stamps to be used for restaurant/fast food items.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/savin...h-food-stamps/
Quote:
Formerly known as food stamps, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the most important anti-hunger initiative in America. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), SNAP provided food security to about 41.5 million people in 2021, with an average benefit of $218.14 per person.

Recipients use Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards to receive funds and make purchases, and they can use those cards to buy a whole lot more than just standard groceries.
https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2022/03...snap-benefits/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 04:42 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Free food isnt enough, now we have to cook it for them.

Should read: “ next to Disabilty, SNAP Is one of the most gamed schemes the fed govt runs”

Old 04-26-2022, 04:52 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
We have a big problem with those Gov. issued welfare cards in Mass. There was an investigation several years back that showed all kinds of fraud taking place from the ATM at the strip club to the ATM at Disneyworld. There were also stores that were busted that used to sell banned items like Booze and Cigarettes for 50 cents on the dollar. We also have fraud where people have several cards and illegal aliens getting them as well.

Our then Governor, Deval Patrick, when questioned about the fraud and possibly tightening up the restrictions to combat the fraud by doing something as simple as putting a photo of the owner on the card he said that the people on welfare already live with enough shame and putting their photo on the card would make this worse. What? So someone that has the card, anyone can use that card with no issue? Our State Government is so Free with our Tax money.

It is all such a scam.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:57 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
This is the kind of stuff that's been laying waste to the culture and work ethic of this great nation. I understand we need a social safety net, but to have 1 out of 8 Americans on food stamps is obscene, especially considering the nation's obesity rate. We buy their junk food, and then pay all their medical bills when the junk food starts killing them.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We have a big problem with those Gov. issued welfare cards in Mass. There was an investigation several years back that showed all kinds of fraud taking place from the ATM at the strip club to the ATM at Disneyworld. There were also stores that were busted that used to sell banned items like Booze and Cigarettes for 50 cents on the dollar. We also have fraud where people have several cards and illegal aliens getting them as well.

Our then Governor, Deval Patrick, when questioned about the fraud and possibly tightening up the restrictions to combat the fraud by doing something as simple as putting a photo of the owner on the card he said that the people on welfare already live with enough shame and putting their photo on the card would make this worse. What? So someone that has the card, anyone can use that card with no issue? Our State Government is so Free with our Tax money.

It is all such a scam.
Over the years many states have had high rates of abuse for these social programs. It's frustrating. We should be able to have systems that are safety nets for people that aren't so easily subject to abuse..

Old 04-26-2022, 05:01 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is the kind of stuff that's been laying waste to the culture and work ethic of this great nation. I understand we need a social safety net, but to have 1 out of 8 Americans on food stamps is obscene, especially considering the nation's obesity rate. We buy their junk food, and then pay all their medical bills when the junk food starts killing them.
Preferably charity would be private and voluntarily funded, but at a minimum such schemes need to be taken away from the fed govt and handed to states and localities to manage.
This all ends when the US ends.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We implement these systems and then never fix them or try to fix the problems. Isn't that the complaint with social housing/project. People were funneled into these communities with no real programs to help them move up in the world.

I think we've become lazy as a society or as a governing body. We should be able to find tune the systems to provide the help they need without being subject to so much abuse .

Old 04-26-2022, 05:05 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Preferably charity would be private and voluntarily funded, but at a minimum such schemes need to be taken away from the fed govt and handed to states and localities to manage.
This all ends when the US ends.
Neither States NOR charities' have the resources.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:06 PM

23,983 posts, read 15,086,618 times
IIRC, the fast food industry lobbied long and hard to get that. They used the why should economically disadvantaged people not be able to have a meal out. It worked.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:22 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We implement these systems and then never fix them or try to fix the problems. Isn't that the complaint with social housing/project. People were funneled into these communities with no real programs to help them move up in the world.

I think we've become lazy as a society or as a governing body. We should be able to find tune the systems to provide the help they need without being subject to so much abuse .

A lot of those housing projects you are referring to were crime ridden hell scapes. At least that's how they were described in a documentary I watched on the subject a decade or more ago. In this documentary, they interviewed people who originally lived in these communities. By the way they described it, they were very unhappy places to live, full of gangs and drugs. No good paying business wants to locate in the middle of an urban war zone.

I'm no expert in social welfare programs and such, but what I do know is not pretty. I also know people who were on these programs, and how their lives turned out. A lot of them, not for the better. A lot of suicides, and drug overdoses. You would think they would be happier with the state paying their bills, but it doesn't look that way to me. I think many of these people don't value themselves when they can't make it on their own, and then they start valuing their lives less and less as they become comfortable in that state of existence.

I think there is value in the pride we feel when we make it on our own. I think that's the best medicine for many of these people who are stuck in a lifestyle/pattern of being perpetually down and out, and reliant on the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies