Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 09:04 AM

4,387 posts, read 1,697,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmycountry View Post
Your parents shouldn’t HAVE to pay for college! YOU are responsible for yourself! Instead of goofing off in high school, graduate in the top five if your class and get scholarships or a free ride!
You can always step up and serve your country for college tuition, too!
What if I am poor, living in a crowded house full of alcohol, drugs, and domestic violence? Exactly how am I supposed to graduate HS in the top 5 of my class when I don't even know where I am going to sleep tonight, what I am going to eat tonight, or if I or my mother are even going to be alive tomorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 09:14 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
What if I am poor, living in a crowded house full of alcohol, drugs, and domestic violence? Exactly how am I supposed to graduate HS in the top 5 of my class when I don't even know where I am going to sleep tonight, what I am going to eat tonight, or if I or my mother are even going to be alive tomorrow?
Too bad. Pay off your student loans.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:30 AM

9,861 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Paying off the debt has it's own set of fairness issues. But setting that debt aside it is also not fair to people who made the decision NOT to go to school/a school or take out a loan because they considered all of the financial implications and realized they were signing a contract. Sometimes one has to work with what one has or must go the practical route.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:19 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmycountry View Post
Good grief, who raised you like this? Stop seeing yourself as such a victim of life.
I did what the authorities He established over me (Romans 13) told me to do to be successful. I went to school and made good grades and received nothing for it. They said that I would get scholarships if I did. I did and I didn't. Therefore they lied. Then people keep lying saying that if you make good grades that you will be rewarded. I hate liars. Calling out the lies is not being a victim of life. It's about telling the truth.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:30 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
On economic issues I am mostly more left than right. I do think tuition got out of control and some form of student loan debt aid should be taken. But I also think medical debt should by far be the top priority over student loan debt. Even someone who graduates with a lot of debt in a less marketable degree (like myself) gains something from the debt they took on. The person with medical debt lost twice, first by injury or illness and then from their massive debt.

The fact that Democrats are obsessed with student loan debt while medical debt is a side issue leaves me more convinced that disgruntled academics have hijacked the D party. For them the boldly lie that student loan debt disportionately hurts poor and non Whites when the opposite is true is beyond shameless.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:30 PM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I did what the authorities He established over me (Romans 13) told me to do to be successful. I went to school and made good grades and received nothing for it. They said that I would get scholarships if I did. I did and I didn't. Therefore they lied. Then people keep lying saying that if you make good grades that you will be rewarded. I hate liars. Calling out the lies is not being a victim of life. It's about telling the truth.

It sounds like you are knocking education?

You say that you went to school and got good grades and received nothing for it? I'd say you were enriched by the accomplishments that you made. You learned that you can apply yourself to a task and see it through to the end through study, concentration and demonstration. I think this is a terrific achievement that many in this world are denied.

There have been so many success stories where people have realized their American Dream and it often started with a solid base of education. How you choose to use that education and where it will take you is up to you. How many of us actually work in the field that we studied? I do not but I am certainly a better more enriched person because I worked for my degrees.

The thing is and the reason I started this topic is that we have so many degrees that are offered by colleges these days that sound interesting but out in the real world they are useless. Why are the colleges offering these paths of study when they have proven to be dead ends in the real world? Why are kids allowed to take out student loans towards these ridiculous degrees that they are now struggling with because there are no jobs. Of course a degree will open doors for you but they are not the end all be all they once were. Personality goes a long way.

If the Feds pay off the student debt for kids today when will the start date be and more importantly when will the end date be? There has to be an end date or the US taxpayers will forever be on the hook to subsidize student loans. That is the truth, no lying.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:42 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Last year I saw a concerned dad confront Elizabeth Warren who had just finished a rant about how the Feds have to pay off student debt to save the kids from drowning in that debt and give a boost to the economy. He said that he and his daughters had worked hard to pay off their loans, and she pretty much said, you are out of luck.
{snip}
The big question is, when does it end?
This is just more of the same from the Dems.

The dems have two tactics

1) they divide the people against each other, setting the dems up as the only people who can protect them, by keeping the barbarians at the gate.

2) devising new ways to steal taxpayer money and use it to buy votes

Both tactics are designed to keep the politicians and the Democratic Party in power. They never want to solve any problems, they need to create more problems to throw money at, and they need to further divide the people against each other so the people will cry and demand mommy government step in to protect them from the ever increasing numbers of imaginary bad people.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:49 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
It sounds like you are knocking education?

You say that you went to school and got good grades and received nothing for it? I'd say you were enriched by the accomplishments that you made. You learned that you can apply yourself to a task and see it through to the end through study, concentration and demonstration. I think this is a terrific achievement that many in this world are denied.

There have been so many success stories where people have realized their American Dream and it often started with a solid base of education. How you choose to use that education and where it will take you is up to you. How many of us actually work in the field that we studied? I do not but I am certainly a better more enriched person because I worked for my degrees.

The thing is and the reason I started this topic is that we have so many degrees that are offered by colleges these days that sound interesting but out in the real world they are useless. Why are the colleges offering these paths of study when they have proven to be dead ends in the real world? Why are kids allowed to take out student loans towards these ridiculous degrees that they are now struggling with because there are no jobs. Of course a degree will open doors for you but they are not the end all be all they once were. Personality goes a long way.

If the Feds pay off the student debt for kids today when will the start date be and more importantly when will the end date be? There has to be an end date or the US taxpayers will forever be on the hook to subsidize student loans. That is the truth, no lying.
I am knocking the liars that deceived me.

By staying in school I suffered regular attacks. I would be randomly beaten in the school. The teachers and other staff would tell me that it was happening because I was asking for it and I could stop it if I wanted to.

I wanted to drop out to avoid what was happening to me, but they kept lying to me. No one will hire a drop out they said. If you stay in school and make good grades you can get a job anywhere they said.

Had I dropped out I wouldn't have been hurt so much at the time.

Drop outs even get jobs before I do, so it was yet another lie.

I owe nearly $180,000 in student loans and I will never have the means to pay it. Had I been allowed to have a job I wouldn't have had to go to college for survival. After I graduated with the bachelor's I tried to get a job but I couldn't pass the psych evals. They should have had the evaluations for getting in the field so that people would not have their time wasted. It's not like someone who grew up in the abuse that I did could pass such a thing. I have severe C-PTSD.

I stayed in school waiting for the healing that the Christians told me would happen one day. I continued to make excellent grades. No healing. I have gotten worse instead. I am always going to be too physically unhealthy to be gainfully employed. I have had to accept that over time.

I am condemned to live in the unrepentant sin of sloth. I even prayed for a job in Jesus name like His children told me to do.

I filled out thousands of applications from the time I was 16 until now. Over three decades of rejection while employers hire trash that use drugs and have records. There's no reward for being a decent person.

People lied to me and about me since I was a small child.

Decades of people claiming that I was refusing to take a job and that I could get a job if I wanted to while I did everything I could to try to get a job.

Had I known the truth I would have dropped out and moved away from the area. I might not have even met the thing and might could have avoided all that happened to me. Liars stole my future.

I was raised to obey the adults and I had Bible scripture rubbed in my face the whole time. The inference was that if I obeyed and was good that everything would work out in the future. I suffered so much in the name of obedience while those who didn't had better outcomes.

I had a therapist say that it was like I grew up in a cult. I have been in and out of therapy since I was 8 years old.

People should not lie to children and tell them that if they do such and such that something good will happen to them. How can children trust anything when they are constantly lied to like that?

Old 05-01-2022, 03:41 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Last year I saw a concerned dad confront Elizabeth Warren who had just finished a rant about how the Feds have to pay off student debt to save the kids from drowning in that debt and give a boost to the economy. He said that he and his daughters had worked hard to pay off their loans, and she pretty much said, you are out of luck.

The majority of us that went to college either worked our butts off before and during school, had parents that helped us out, or earned scholarships so we didn't have to take out a loan, some of us choose to attend a State school that didn't cost as much and according to Warren we are out of luck.

In other words there is a window of opportunity to have your loans paid off by the Feds but when does it end? Where is the cutoff?

They never talk about a cutoff date or even a start date just that if you have debt, either it will all be paid off or a portion of it will be.

Imagine entering college come September 2022, you take out a loan and expect the Feds to pay it off when you graduate in 2026 but the cut off date is 2025. You are out of luck kid.

The more we think about this idea of paying off student debt the more it appears to be a gimmick, a scheme and BAIT to garner votes. The Dems already do this when they float the idea of Reparations to secure the Black vote. They are now doing the same with the pledge to pay off the loans.

The big question is, when does it end?
It ends with the financial destruction of the nation.

Let's face it, the politicians will continue to give away money we do not have in exchange for votes until the nation implodes.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:22 PM

4,387 posts, read 1,697,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Too bad. Pay off your student loans.
Sorry Albert… i’ll be forgiven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies