Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 09:11 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Republicans want lower taxes.
For whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 09:15 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Only difference is being able to look in a mirror and know whether you got raped or willingly bent over. A small, yet remarkably significant distinction.
I think it's even closer than that.

The two parties have closed the democratic system so that only ever one of them wins, and they have themselves their fringe, extremely emotive issues (abortion and gun rights) which they formally oppose each other on, but actually do very little on when in power and that's about it. The difference between a one party state and a two party state when both parties are bought and paid for by the same special interest groups is minuscule.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:27 AM

445 posts, read 219,969 times
I may have missed it, but the other deviation is defense spending. At one point, the Democratic party in general viewed George W. Bush, Cheney, etc. as war criminals and denounced the massive handouts to defense contractors. Now, we have a Secretary of Defense that is a former board member of Raytheon, 800B in defense budget, and the latest proposal of 30B to Ukraine, both without question. Undoubtedly benefiting defense contractors and weapons suppliers. No talk whatsoever about negotiations to end the war there.

And, the latest ministry of truth. In short, all in all, Dick Cheney's wet dream. And, a series of broken campaign promises that would likely benefit the middle class and have widespread bi-partisian support -- $15 minimum wage, lowering medicare age, prescription drug prices, etc. Instead, we get $500 per dose COVID pills -- Big Pharma's wet dream.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:32 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
When they started acting as a block that’s when they lost me. Otherwise I didn’t even know one party was supposed to be one thing and the other the other. Now a vote for a democrat is a vote for the party. And the party line is pure horror and foreign sell out fest.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:34 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammythebull View Post
I may have missed it, but the other deviation is defense spending. At one point, the Democratic party in general viewed George W. Bush, Cheney, etc. as war criminals and denounced the massive handouts to defense contractors. Now, we have a Secretary of Defense that is a former board member of Raytheon, 800B in defense budget, and the latest proposal of 30B to Ukraine, both without question. Undoubtedly benefiting defense contractors and weapons suppliers. No talk whatsoever about negotiations to end the war there.

And, the latest ministry of truth. In short, all in all, Dick Cheney's wet dream. And, a series of broken campaign promises that would likely benefit the middle class and have widespread bi-partisian support -- $15 minimum wage, lowering medicare age, prescription drug prices, etc. Instead, we get $500 per dose COVID pills -- Big Pharma's wet dream.
Good points. The Democrat party has become everything they once railed against.

There are some Republicans now, not most at all, who are supporting what I have always believed in and the Democrat party once believed in.

Love me some DeSantis. He knows boys are boys, girls are girls, we shouldn’t be sexualizing children in K-3, telling black kids they are victims is wrong, telling white kids they are racist is wrong, keeping taxes on working class folks low is good, protecting the environment is good without going crazy with excessive and harmful regulation. Basically just common sense policy.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:08 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
For whom?
Going out on a limb here but probably for the people that pay taxes.

That's generally how tax reduction works.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:11 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
What is telling, I think, is that until 2010, I think I supported everything in the DNC platform.

Now, just 12 years later, the only opinions that Dem leaders and I share are pro-choice* and a clean environment. (I still support equality for all, but it seems that Dems no longer believe that, as they persist in thinking that the whites don't deserve equality due to their actions or the actions of some whites in the past, their "white privilege", or because they are, according to some libs, inherently evil.)

* P.S. ON EDIT: I actually take that back, as I am not nearly as pro-choice as I think most Dem leaders say they are. I am definitely against any abortions past the 23rd week unless continued pregnancy would present a real danger to the mother's life or there is a better than 50% chance that the child would require 24/7 care throughout his/her life (or if the fetus was dead or would be born dead).

Last edited by katharsis; 05-02-2022 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 10:19 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What is telling, I think, is that until 2010, I think I supported everything in the DNC platform.

Now, just 12 years later, the only opinions that Dem leaders and I share are pro-choice and a clean environment. (I still support equality for all, but the Dems no longer believe that.)
It is funny you say that because I started noticing a drastic shift on the Democrat side starting around 2006/2008.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:32 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I am no longer a Democrat. I don't support today's Democrat party.

I supported the Democratic party long ago. Two completely different things.

A real Democrat would not support what the party has become today. A communist would.
Says the guy who supports Putin and invasion of Ukraine and anything else dear leader trump spouts.

Support and blind loyalty are two different things. Like i said anyone who calls the DEMOCRATIC party the "Democrat" party is regurgitating GOP strategy and talking points and was never a Democrat. I'm old enough to remember when Republicans and Rush Limbaugh started using "Democrat party" on air. First time I heard it it made my skin crawl. That was the point. If you were a real Democrat then I'm a white hood wearing trumpeter... Just as believable . Come on.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:41 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I was once a solid Democrat voter and liberal at heart. I no longer fit into the Democrat party and here are the types of things the Democrat party started to stand for and push that pushed me out.
I'm curious: when was the last time you voted for a Democrat for President? How many times in the past 30 years have you voted democrat for President? Because I also find your claim to be an ex-democrat to be somewhat disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies